Weekend Job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Job.

I just came across this brilliant forum and signed up straight away. I am just about to start my first year on my pharmacy course and nead some advice on whether i should get a weeked job.

I am thinking about applying to some local pharmacies but im not sure whether i should because i might end up with too much work to do with little time to do it and end up failing my first year.

If i do apply will i have to work on a voluntary basis or will i get paid? Please let me know if boots or lloyds will pay a wage for a weekend job as i am thinking about to them although i will also apply to local pharmacies.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Weekend Job.

Hi POTY

I would certainly recommend you look for a weekend job because it provides invaluable experience as well as complementing pharmacy practice (and a bit of income ).

Don't worry too much about the job clashing with uni work, it's not likely to happen. I started working for Lloyds on saturdays in March last year when I was in my first year, and I managed to pass. Basically, working one or two days on the weekend won't be a problem.
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Thanks for your advice nikolai. Did you get paid by Lloyds or did you work as a volunteer to get some experience?

Can someone let me know whether i have to work as a volunteer for lloyds and boots or will i get paid for working the weekend.

Comment

Sorry Nikolai your post says you do get paid .... i didnt notice at first.

Do i just have to go to a Lloyds branch and hand in my CV?

What position do i apply for. If i work on the counter than i wont really know that much about what the pharmacist is doing or will I?...im not sure.
        I want to get some experience alongside the pharmacist. Do you work alongside the Pharmacist or on the counter?

Comment

Hey POTY
          You can send CV's into your local pharmacies (along with maybe a covering letter), although the problem with this (as I unfortunately found out during sixth form ) is that many places will either say they have no vacancies or simply not get back in touch with you. So don't be too disheartened if you get a few rejections.

I actually managed to get the job because of an email sent through our uni's student email service, which advertised a part-time saturday job at lloyds for 2 students, 1st and 2nd yr. So I raced the next day and eventually got the job (although I'd admit many people won't get a job that fortunately).

You'd most likely be spending your time on the counter and after some training will be able to sell OTC meds including P meds. It may not sound exciting but it would be of great benefit to you particularly as you're just starting your course now. Depending on the pharmacist they may introduce you to more of the interesting bits behind the counter (our manager is great because she's given us training on the computer system so we're able to dispense).

If you really want to work just with a pharmacist though I would recommend either trying out some independents or alternatively just applying for work experience shadowing a pharmacist (although you will be limited in what you will do ).

If you need any more info particularly re lloyds just ask

Comment

Sound advice from Nikolai there..

You immediately mentioned Lloyds and Boots..My feeling would be to try the Independents first. Don't send out letters..walk in and introduce yourself...that way you have an immediate impression of where you may be working, and the staff can see who they may be working with!

Also, whilst you will be paid, as I remember there are a lot of parties on Friday and Saturday nights..don't burn that candle at both ends!

Fleeg.
            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Thanks for your advice fleegle...i will try out independent pharmacies as well.

I have been on the boots website to apply for a christmas job in my area but there does not seem to be a way to attach my cv to the application. i would go into the store and hand in my CV but im away from home at the moment as i am at uni.

Has anyone else applied for a christmas job or any other position with boots and do you know how to attach the CV to the application.....I have had a look but there does not seem to be any link to it on the page.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hello POTY, i have tried applying to them as well and have had the same problem...they don't ask for a CV.

That would be ok if they asked for your employment history but they just ask what you are doing at the moment. This reduces your chance of getting the job because if you are doing nothing at the moment than you have to leave that part blank but they dont ask you about yur previous employment.

Does anyone know how to atach the CV.

Comment

When i was a student I worked at Boots in the holidays, I just went in and asked! They had an undergraduate 'course' which was interesting and made sure you saw all aspects of the pharmacists job. Don't get bullied onto being put on the checkouts all the time though, as i have heard some horror stories in that respect!

Comment

s soon as [I] knew [I] was going to study to be a pharmacist, I applied to local BTC to be a Saturday boy. No problem and I worked at BTc all through 6th form, apprenticeship and while at uni. Ove 8 years in total.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                      When i was a student I worked at Boots in the holidays, I just went in and asked! They had an undergraduate 'course' which was interesting and made sure you saw all aspects of the pharmacists job. Don't get bullied onto being put on the checkouts all the time though, as i have heard some horror stories in that respect!
                      Yes, you get to know every brand of pet food when you are a student at Boots.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

..and sandwich fillings..you can also tell customers who present with an acute inflammation that they need 3 packs of Nurofen, because if they buy 2, they get one free!
                        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Out of interest....when do pharmacy students have to apply for pre reg.

Is it during the third year of their course or during the fourth year.

I just want to know so that i can try to get as much experience as possible before than, in all the different pharmacy sectors so that i know which one to apply to when the time comes.

Comment

I think applications begin towards the end of the third year so that by the start of the fourth year you should have a clear idea as to where you will be doing your pre-reg.

Comment

Just gone through the process now. Applying for pre-reg happens during the summer holiday between 3rd and 4th year. Community applications need to be completed by the end of June/start of July, with interviews happening any time from then. Hospital applications need to be completed by the end of august, with interviews happening any time from the second week of September to the last week of September.

By the way, you're doing the right thing trying to find work experience early. It'll put you ahead of most other candidates when the time comes to apply for pre-reg interviews. Also don't know what sector of pharmacy you want to go in, but having experience in both community and hospital will help you out and will also look favourable come pre-reg application time.

Comment

Working...
                              X