Hospital or Industry ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital or Industry ??

I'm starting the third year of my pharmacy degree soon and i'm thinking of applying for a hospital summer placement and possibly an industrial placement next summer.

Is there anyone who has experience doing a hospital placement (pref in West Mids) and can tell me what to expect in interviews,etc and also if anyone has experience in doing an industrial placement, who is the best company to work for (as in experience during the placement) and what kind of work did you do ?

Any help would be much appreciated
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Re: Hospital or Industry ??

Aaaarggh! 26 views and no-one's replied !

Surely there's someone on this fourm that could provide a bit of advice even if you worked for a hospital 5 years ago !!

Comment

Hi Nikolai,

I can't really comment on the hospital as I got my placement on the back of my CV no formal interview, though you will probably be asked questions alongs the lines of

"why hospital"
      "why not community"
      "what do you think pharmacists do in hospitals"

On the industry point, I had a 'chat' with AZ this week at the Careers Forum. They asked stuff like

"why industry"
      "what industry type stuff have you done in your degree" e.g pharmaceutics
      "tell me about your mini project"

A good book to get your hands on is the Pharmaceutical Press' "Pre-registration Interview" by Nisha something. I had a quick flik through it - gives you advice on your CV and applications.

HTH

Laura
      wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Thanks Laura

I've already been working part-time at Lloyds for nearly a year and a half, and the thing is I don't really want to work in community when I graduate.

So I've been weighing up my options and I was thinking of working for big pharma but hospital work does interest me as well

Anyways thanks for your advice!

Comment

Why don't you investigate the split hospital/industry pre-regs?

Comment

On the industry point, I had a 'chat' with AZ this week at the Careers Forum. They asked stuff like
            you guys started uni early!
            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
            [/COLOR]

Comment

I did think about doing a split pre-reg with hosp and industry, but I was chatting to a mate in 4th year and he made a good point, saying that working in hosp/industry probably won't prepare you well enough for the pre-reg exam, most of which is stuff on OTC meds, calculations and prescription scenarios.

So that would mean working hard on my own for the pre-reg exam
              which is why I wouldn't mind working in a community pharmacy if I could get good enough training to pass the pre-reg, its just experience in all sectors that i want

ok i've finished
              Last edited by Nik; 17, December 2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: don't know

Comment

No Ray, don't enrol till a week on Friday. I was at the BPC-PJ Careers Forum on Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                  I did think about doing a split pre-reg with hosp and industry, but I was chatting to a mate in 4th year and he made a good point, saying that working in hosp/industry probably won't prepare you well enough for the pre-reg exam, most of which is stuff on OTC meds, calculations and prescription scenarios.

So that would mean working hard on my own for the pre-reg exam
                  which is why I wouldn't mind working in a community pharmacy if I could get good enough training to pass the pre-reg, its just experience in all sectors that i want

(exhale) ok i've finished
                  I was talking to a lady from GSK about their split prereg and i brought up something about the prereg exam and she said that they do some clinical stuff during their part of the year. I am looking into doing the hospital-industry split too.
                  I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

I suppose the problem of the pre-reg exam in a hosp-industry pre-reg wouldn't be too big if one is willing to put the effort (lots) in.

Comment

Yeah, its all down to you at the end of the day. Even if you did all hospital or community you still wouldn't get anywhere if you didn't work, hehe.
                      I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

I got interviews to get the two summer placements that I've done in a hospital.

I got asked basic questions such as why pharmacy? why hospital? strengths/weaknesses? how would you describe yourself in 3 words? what have you liked and not liked in 3rd year? teamwork, motivation, leadership examples, can you tell us a drug interaction? interests? tell us about your work experience.

They are pretty much the only questions I got asked in two interviews. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks that does help. Just out of curiosity which hospitals did you get summer placements in ?

Comment

Sunderland and Haverfordwest

Comment

Which hospitals in the West Midlands are you looking at?

Comment

Working...
                              X