Does it matter where you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it matter where you go?

As a student who is beginning to study pharmacy in september 2006, I would like to know a few things.

Firstly does it matter which school of pharmacy you go to, to which job you will get. As i live near london i would like to work in either community or hospital near london. If i don't go to a london school of pharmacy will it affect my chances of doing this?

Secondly if the school of pharmacy has only been teaching pharmacy for a few years will it affect the chances of getting a job in london in community or hospital?

If someone could answer my questions I would be most grateful, if anymore info is required please ask. Thanks.

Which Uni ?

Mysteryman

I have never been asked at an interview which school of pharmacy did I go to, or even what class of degree did I get! I think you should go to a place you just feel happy in.

I live in Yorkshie and the companies here are so short of people they are sending teams of people abroad to recruit pharmacists. Most of the people they hire are really nice, but some struggle a bit with English, especially if they are talking to someone with an accent like mine!

I don't think it would matter to a retail/hospital job prospect in London if you didn't go there, or if you did. Sometimes Uni's have connections with local hospitals or industrial companies, so if it's a certain hospital or ccompany you want to work at, maybe write to the schools of pharmacy and put across your concerns.

We had a lecturer (part-time) who used to work at a local hospital, so I guess she maybe had a say in which students they took on there, so getting on with her was a good idea if you were going to apply for a job there at a later date. We also had a professor who did some research work for various companies, so he too was good to know, if that was what you intended to do. I am sure other Uni's must have the same sort of connections.

Where are you going to study - have you made your mind up yet?

What's the mystery?

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I'm deciding either between london school of pharmacy (LSOP) or university of east anglia (UEA). LSOP obviously has a good reputation and would be perfect if i wanted to get a job in london because it has good connections with london hospitals.

UEA is also good but has only been teaching pharmacy since 2003 and hasn't been given full accreditation by RPSGB , so this puts me off a little bit, but it has excellent work experience from the moment you start the course and also have smaller teaching groups.

Going to LSOP would mean i could live at home, where UEA i would have to move away to go to. Guess i just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

mysteryman is just a name i use on forums

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryman
        Thanks for your reply.

I'm deciding either between london school of pharmacy (LSOP) or university of east anglia (UEA). LSOP obviously has a good reputation and would be perfect if i wanted to get a job in london because it has good connections with london hospitals.

UEA is also good but has only been teaching pharmacy since 2003 and hasn't been given full accreditation by RPSGB , so this puts me off a little bit, but it has excellent work experience from the moment you start the course and also have smaller teaching groups.

Going to LSOP would mean i could live at home, where UEA i would have to move away to go to. Guess i just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

mysteryman is just a name i use on forums
        My son graduated from UEA last year ( English Literature) and really enjoyed his time there

R
        The spirit of the time hath taught me speed- Wm Shakespeare- "King John"

Comment

Working...
        X