Nottingham uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nottingham uni

Anyone go? How is it? Is the 1st year a tough year?

Re: Nottingham uni

the best uni ever..... student life is great over there.
    1st year is not counted lol not hard as well, 2nd year is tough, by the 3rd year you are exhausted so you could not complain more :
    remember Nottingham uni has always been one of the top 5 schools of pharmacy, and rated 79 world wide. stockley interaction book, the #1 that all pharmacists use was written by a nottingham lecturer :P
    4 big campuses for the uni " jubilee campus, brand new accommodation, suitable for management, business studies". main campus, massive one, you get everything there , around 14 halls with pubs....

as a pharmacy student, you will spend half the time in the school of biomedical sciences, having shared lectures during your 1st year with medics.

excellent lecturers, Boots the chemist still own part of the uni over there, with a big named building built from boots donations " Boots building, mainly for research studies in pharmacology and related subjects".

you will enjoy your time in your 1st year, you get introduced to the course in general, some practical dispensing classes preparing ointments, creams, suppositories, emulsions, eye drops....etc
    we have got a built in pharmacy,( was constructed last year) were you will be able to use it for practical exams i.e OTC counseling....etc
    in your 1st year, the school of pharmacy will arrange for you a community pharmacy visit for a day, and will always provide all the help needed ( advertise for local jobs, summer placements, social activities).

Nottingham uni have other branches in china and Malaysia. They opened a school of pharmacy in Malaysia 4 years ago. Last year, around 50 students from Malaysia campus joined us at Nottingham campus ( England).

if you are one of the 2:1 students, there is always a scholarship awaiting for you, if you consider doing a PHD.
    Any more specific questions?
    Last edited by Rafael; 9, August 2008, 06:30 PM.
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

I went there too--it was great--highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
        I went there too--it was great--highly recommend it.
        wondering when have u graduated from there?
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          wondering when have u graduated from there?
          1989 !!!! Ages ago!

Comment

Nottingham definitely one of the best for pharmacy.

In my opinion nottingham is better for research and phd's, but its still good if u just want to go into community or hospital pharmacy.

The course is tough but most people get through it somehow.

Other lecturers in nottingham that have contributed to books are

Joy Wingfield - Dale & Appleby Law and Ethics
            Michael Randal - Disease Management
            Paul Dewick - Medicinal Natural Products

must be more... but these are the ones i remember and that have a book worth looking at.

Ray more or less rounded up how good the uni is though
            [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk[/URL] A guide for preregistration students [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]Pharmacy Exam[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
              the best uni ever..... student life is great over there.
              1st year is not counted lol not hard as well, 2nd year is tough, by the 3rd year you are exhausted so you could not complain more :
              remember Nottingham uni has always been one of the top 5 schools of pharmacy, and rated 79 world wide. stockley interaction book, the #1 that all pharmacists use was written by a nottingham lecturer :P
              4 big campuses for the uni " jubilee campus, brand new accommodation, suitable for management, business studies". main campus, massive one, you get everything there , around 14 halls with pubs....

as a pharmacy student, you will spend half the time in the school of biomedical sciences, having shared lectures during your 1st year with medics.

excellent lecturers, Boots the chemist still own part of the uni over there, with a big named building built from boots donations " Boots building, mainly for research studies in pharmacology and related subjects".

you will enjoy your time in your 1st year, you get introduced to the course in general, some practical dispensing classes preparing ointments, creams, suppositories, emulsions, eye drops....etc
              we have got a built in pharmacy,( was constructed last year) were you will be able to use it for practical exams i.e OTC counseling....etc
              in your 1st year, the school of pharmacy will arrange for you a community pharmacy visit for a day, and will always provide all the help needed ( advertise for local jobs, summer placements, social activities).

Nottingham uni have other branches in china and Malaysia. They opened a school of pharmacy in Malaysia 4 years ago. Last year, around 50 students from Malaysia campus joined us at Nottingham campus ( England).

if you are one of the 2:1 students, there is always a scholarship awaiting for you, if you consider doing a PHD.
              Any more specific questions?
              Thanks for all these useful information. What do you mean by 2:1 student? Just wondering if you could tell me the name of the first year books that they recommend to buy.
              Thanks

Comment

I think he means if you get a 2:1 and go on to do a phd then you have a good chance of getting a scholarship to do the phd at nottingham (i.e they will pay for your phd).

The books they recommend are:
                Rang, Dale, Ritter and Moore - Pharmacology
                and
                Sherwood - Human Physiology

These books are quite basic but they will get you through the first year. The other books needed for the first year are probably not worth buying, just borrow them from the library when you need them.
                [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk[/URL] A guide for preregistration students [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]Pharmacy Exam[/URL]

Comment

Nottingham is a great place to study Pharmacy. I've just finished my first year and I really enjoyed it. Bit apprehensive about second year as I've been warned by several people that it gets pretty tough. Hopefully I'll be ok though - I did well enough this year. Well I came top of the year - shame it doesn't count lol.

As for books, I wouldn't bother buying any until you start the course. I spent about £40 on books in total, which I'm really chuffed with - some people spent hundreds. I managed by borrowing from the library. If you can look ahead and anticipate which books you'll need, or just get to the library before anyone else after the lecture, you'll be fine using library books. Please don't spend a load on new books before you even get there - it'll be a waste of money. You won't need any straight away so just wait til you get there.

Comment

gonna start my final year, did not buy any books. I usually study at library and borrow books, make my own notes during the academic year then when i revise, no need to borrow a book again...... a useful way is to get the missed lectures from someone who record the lectures, listen to them and add your extra notes.
                    best of luck
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

I would advise against buying any books to start with as all lecturers will recommend different books and alot of the books recommended will not be worth buying as you will only use them once and they can be quite expensive.

However there are a few books that everyone will use at some time and are worth having a copy to hand, such as the above poster mentioned like rang and dale pharmacology (a very concise and well laid out book for the basics of pharmacology of most drugs, although not very extensive its def a good starting book) and obviously the BNF (which you might get given to you at uni).

To be honest I found the first year to be just a revision of A level with a bit extra and the only book I brought in that year was a organic chemistry book which I hardly used.

Comment

Originally posted by mm45 View Post
                        I would advise against buying any books to start with as all lecturers will recommend different books..................
                        Usually the one's they wrote!!

Comment

Working...
                        X