Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of reference

edited. thanks.
    Last edited by Asterix; 8, August 2008, 05:37 PM.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Lack of reference

A bit mean on pharmacist's part but perhaps does not want to committ to paper. Make sure you have adequate contact details for him and ensure have his/her permission to give name etc as reference.
    johnep

Comment

Yeah, I want atleast a letter to say I have worked there on headed paper, that isn't too much to ask for is it.

Comment

I fully agree with Johnep here. Although if you were employed by a chain, any reference may have to be supplied by either the head office, or perhaps the area manager, who haven't worked with you...It's a bit daft alright!

Would the pharmacist/manager be able to provide a personal character reference? It may not be on headed paper, but at least your CV would confirm where and when you were employed.
        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
          I fully agree with Johnep here. Although if you were employed by a chain, any reference may have to be supplied by either the head office, or perhaps the area manager, who haven't worked with you...It's a bit daft alright!

Would the pharmacist/manager be able to provide a personal character reference? It may not be on headed paper, but at least your CV would confirm where and when you were employed.
          what's the difference between the normal reference and that?

Comment

It unfortunately cannot relate directly to the quality or nature of your work with that particular company..it only relates to the type of guy you are..what it does is to let any future employer know that you're genuinely a nice bloke..often that's enough..anyone can provide one, and they can often work to your advantage better than a reference from the business.

Pharmacists, in my experience, are rarely required to produce references when changing jobs..your reputation will usually precede you.

No harm in starting a portfolio though..it can only do you good.
            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

well exactly, I intend to work in a different place each year and just want something to say I have done this. I am going to ask for a letter to say I have worked there.

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem with that..wish you all the best..different place each year?..sounds brilliant!
                Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem with that..wish you all the best..different place each year?..sounds brilliant!
                  Its very rare to get a reference these days.
                  Employers do not like to supply them for fear of litigation.
                  Last one I got just confirmed I had worked there from start date to finish date.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

thanks fleece. I was actually intending to ask everyone's opinions:

I have now worked for 2 community pharmacies. One of the pharmacies has many branches so I could apply there again and they will give me work but in a different branch.

However, I think working somewhere different each year will make it look broad on my cv. I plan to do a hospital one but only with an offer of 3 weeks so should I do another community

Comment

Litigation?
                      Don't Stop Believing

Comment

You don't really need a written reference to keep though? You can put down on your CV when you worked there and what your responsibilities were. When you apply for jobs, they'll most likely want two references, which they'll usually contact to get the reference. As long as you check with the people you're putting as a reference and let them know what kind of job it is then it's fine as long as they agree.

Comment

[QUOTE=giggsy;14386]thanks fleece. I was actually intending to ask everyone's opinions:

I apologise. hope everyone replies.
                          Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Litigation?
                            hey what do you mean.,

Well my question is, is it better to work in the same place for summer placements or work in different places in terms of community pharmacy.

Comment

doesn't really matter giggsy unless you want to guarantee a shoe-in with a particular company for pre-reg.

i did all sorts of summer jobs - most of them unrelated to pharmacy. Sometimes a far-sighted employer looks for skills and experience you can bring to them that are from different environments other than pharmacy
                              “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X