X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHD – opportunities/how to apply

I’m thinking of applying for a PHD ….in the next 2 years maybe

What are the requirements…??

Can you get part-time as well? How often would that be??

How does one arrange for funding?

Would it still be possible to locum on the weekends?
    Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Re: PHD – opportunities/how to apply

Need a 2:1 for a Ph.D. You should be able to get evening work fairly easily. With a stroke of luck could be quiet enabling you to study. I used to work Saturdays in a Jewish part of East End. Did all my revising in the long quiet afternoons.
    johnep

Comment

Thank you John

I always wanted to do a PhD in Drug Delivery/ Pharmaceutics…..

I can see a PhD will open up more doors for me, but I’ve just finished studying….and I want to enjoy life….

For a newly qualified, would you say it’s a good idea to start PhD now or to get a few years experience….??
      Lazy Lady...
      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

"For a newly qualified, would you say it’s a good idea to start PhD now or to get a few years experience….??"
        i would say try to find a funding 1st, apply , once you get accepted think about doing it now or postponing for next year :P
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          "For a newly qualified, would you say it’s a good idea to start PhD now or to get a few years experience….??"
          i would say try to find a funding 1st, apply , once you get accepted think about doing it now or postponing for next year :P

There are some student funded PhD’s on the School of Pharmacy website….I was thinking of choosing one of them when the time is right…….
          Lazy Lady...

Comment

It's self funding for a 2nd degree but I am sure you can get scholarships etc.

Where are you planning to go lazy
            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

I had a look on the London School of Pharmacy website…this is the nearest one to me….

I guess I could always do an MSc first, but I think you need to be in a band 8 post in hospital to apply???
              Lazy Lady...

Comment

It was suggested to me to do a Ph.D. Topic was to be micelles and membranes. Led onto liquid crystals in the end.

However, I had had enough of college by then and decided against, although sometimes wish I had.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                  It was suggested to me to do a Ph.D. Topic was to be micelles and membranes. Led onto liquid crystals in the end.

However, I had had enough of college by then and decided against, although sometimes wish I had.

johnep
                  you could do it now
                  3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

The disadvantage of working for a few years and then going back to do a PhD is the drop in income you'll have to take. Not such a problem if you're in hospital as starting salaries are lower, but a bigger hurdle to overcome if you work in community.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                      The disadvantage of working for a few years and then going back to do a PhD is the drop in income you'll have to take. Not such a problem if you're in hospital as starting salaries are lower, but a bigger hurdle to overcome if you work in community.
                      Thanks Steve G

What if I was to work in hospital for a couple of years until I reach a senior post…..then apply for a PhD and get a job in industry? Surely the pay in industry is a lot higher….

Or if I work part-time in hospital while completing my PhD on a part-time basis???
                      Lazy Lady...

Comment

You'll probably make up the lost income later down the line, but for the three or four years you are doing your PhD your income would drop.

I believe PhD stipends are around £15k p.a., which is tax free, so equivalent to around £20k p.a. gross. If I was to go back and do a PhD, I would have to take a drop in income of far more than 50%, but its not going to be such a problem if you're a band 6 in hospital.

Comment

What’s the difference between a PhD and ‘Doctor of Pharmacy’ qualification?

Has anyone studied for the PharmD???

Lazy Lady...

Comment

i thought they named the pharmacy course as pharmD " doctor of pharmacy" in the USA, not here.
                            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

I just saw this:

University of Derby - Pharmacy (Doctor of Practice)

They both take 3-4 yrs F/T….so wots the difference between a PhD and this?
                              Lazy Lady...

Comment

Working...
                              X