Entry requirements for MPharm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry requirements for MPharm

What A2 grades are needed for a good pharmacy school BCC??, as my son's school reckon this is what he needs

I did biology chem and maths (in 1986) but things have changed ,He's doing chem,Biology & Physical Education , and would like to study Dentistry or pharmacy but I'm not too sure whether Physical Education acceptable
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: Entry requirements for MPharm

some of the 'sporty' unis like bath and nottingham might be interested...but with PE theres a good chance he'll be interviewed for most places...
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

liverpool john moores currently want 320 points from applicants but acceptance to course is dependent on aptitude test.

Bath want AAB

Manchester want AAB-ABB

bradford want 280 points with a min of 100 in chemistry

nottingham want AAB-ABB

aston want ABB

they all want chemistry & biology, with a preference to another science a-level but talk to admissions tutors to see. back when i started at bath in 1997 there were quite a few who had done a PE a-level.
      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

For a 'good' pharmacy school ABB at least.

Comment

being realistic ive seen people on pharmacy courses with CCC and ABC (where the A was a none science subject that a monkey could get A in).

Now the grades are seriously as low as CCC to get in depending on if he's not bothered about what uni he goes to.....

..however to get into more popular unis higher grades are required, abviously, demand and supply laws etc....

BBB is the grade I think that'l more or less guarantee a place on a pharmacy course at a decent uni, with or without interview........

........finally, no offence to Kemzero, but knowing the quality of A levels these days, if his son cant get atleast BBB and really wanted him to get into pharmacy, then maybe he should have paid a few more bob and sent him to a better private school.....
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

My offer from Aston in 2001 was for BBB, with no interview. I got BCC, (plus an A in general studies, which isn't normally counted), and they took me. Seeing as I got a first, it was obviously the right decision. I'm not sure how much A-level results correlate to degree results, but they are used to select students as they are pretty much all universities have to go on.

Comment

I was offered BBCC by JMU for Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Literature, though my final grades were AAAB. The aptitude test wasn't bad either, basic mental maths along the lines of ...

One Neocef tablet costs $3.45 USD. The exchange rate is £1 = $1.58 USD. You wish to purchase 100 boxes (each containing 21 Neocef tablets); how much £ sterling will this amount to?

(Lol - the figures are off the top of my head - but you get the style).
              wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Now a days the requirements vary.

For top unis, you are looking at ABB-AAB (likes of manchester, notts)
                For the more lower end ranking unis you are looking at, BBB-BCC although if you are in luck you can get in with lower during results day.

PE is being considered as a soft subject by many at present but you should be ok applying for pharmacy with it.
                3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Giggsy I disagree about the PE being a 'soft' subject. My little brother has just done his GCSE PE this summer - and he has done more physiology of certain systems than me. I also know from college that those who did PE found some of the Biology modules easier to grasp!
                  wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Originally posted by laurabuk View Post
                    Giggsy I disagree about the PE being a 'soft' subject. My little brother has just done his GCSE PE this summer - and he has done more physiology of certain systems than me. I also know from college that those who did PE found some of the Biology modules easier to grasp!
                    I didn't mean I found it a soft subject laura, infact I used to love pe. I am just saying how some unis are blacklisting it these days
                    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Thanx for all your replies , very useful

Solomon Q- Point 1-My son doesn't go to a private schoo, he goes to a top-rated grammar school

Point 2 - I wasn't implying that his expected grades are BCC, but his school listed these grades as the requirements for pharmacy school( which in my opinion is misleading)

Point 3-I'd rather he gets into dentistry ,as pharmacy is his second choice

Point 4 -I ain't male and as a single parent can't afford private school

Ponit 5-no offence taken
                      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Working...
                      X