Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Pre-Reg books

Hi all

I am about to start my pre-reg and am looking at which books I'll need for getting through the year. There are some that I think will be useful once I'm qualified but others that I'd rather find 2nd hand (student debt to consider!). I wonder if any of you who have recently qualified have any books you'd be willing to pass on, especially those giving advice on the pre-reg year, exams and calculations.

Any replies very much appreciated!

Re: Any Pre-Reg books

most the books you require should be present in the pharmacy you'r based at, these inlude:

Current editions of the following:
    • British National Formulary
    • Medicines Ethics and Practice Guide
    • Drug Tariff
    • Martindale - the Extra Pharmacopoeia
    • Introduction to Pharmaceutical Calculations Rees, Smith and
    Smith
    • Drug interactions Stockley
    • BNF for Children

these are a MUST for a pharmacy registered to take on a pre-reg, although you might not be able to take them home. A good one you should buy is "symptoms in the pharmacy" by Mr and Mrs Ble......top
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I have the 'Pass the pre-reg exam book' and 'Pre-reg exam questions' book that I don't need any more. Was going to sell them on Ebay at some point but would be willing to do some sort of deal if you want to buy them second hand. I've never tried the whole private message thing on here but let me know if you're interested and we can sort something out. I do have the yellow calculations one too but I think I might keep that one just in case I ever need it!

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
        most the books you require should be present in the pharmacy you'r based at, these inlude:

Current editions of the following:
        • British National Formulary
        • Medicines Ethics and Practice Guide
        • Drug Tariff
        • Martindale - the Extra Pharmacopoeia
        • Introduction to Pharmaceutical Calculations Rees, Smith and
        Smith
        • Drug interactions Stockley
        • BNF for Children

these are a MUST for a pharmacy registered to take on a pre-reg, although you might not be able to take them home. A good one you should buy is "symptoms in the pharmacy" by Mr and Mrs Ble......top
        Thanks very much for the list - I'll make sure I know where they all are in the pharmacy! I've got some recs from my tutor and have come up with the following list for books to have at home for studying.

Books I'll probably buy new:

- BNF (buy in September)

- Stockley's Drug Interactions: Pocket Companion 2008 - useful when registered?

- Non-prescription Medicines (by Alan Nathan)

- Either Minor Illness or Major Disease? (by Paul Stillman, Clive Edwards) or Symptoms in the Pharmacy (by Alison Blenkinsopp)

Books I'm not sure I need/will buy 2nd hand:

- Pass the Preregistration Pharmacy Exam (by Chi-Loon Cheung)

- Either Introduction to Pharmaceutical Calculations (by Judith A. Rees) - also the workbook
        or Practical Pharmaceutical Calculations (by Michael Bonner)
        or Calculations for Pharmaceutical Practice (by Arthur J. Winfield, Ivan Edafiogho)

Can anybody give me advice on the above choices? I'm wondering where to get hold of practice exam Qs without spending a fortune

Comment

Last edition of BNF will be OK. Otherwise it is around £40.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            Last edition of BNF will be OK. Otherwise it is around £40.
            johnep
            Not completely sure but I've been told the September 2008 BNF is the one needed for next year's exam and assumed it would be best to get the specified version. BNFs are costly!

Comment

You can get second hand versions from:

Amazon.co.uk: low prices in Electronics, Books, Music, DVDs & more

The books that got me through my pre-reg year were:

1. MEP
              2. BNF – most of the answers are here. Get to know the BNF well early in the year.
              3. Pass the pre-reg exam – cheung
              4. pharmaceutical calculations - Rees

The pharmacy you work in might keep some other useful books and if you’re working in hospital, they will have a pharmacy section in the hospital library. Besides, I didn't have to buy the BNF or the MEP, because that was provided for me during my pre-reg year( I had my own copy)
              The DT, I just asked a local chemist and used the online version too!
              Lazy Lady...
              [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Yes you'll probably need the September BNF for your exam and it is important to have the edition they specify. I got my BNF free from the hospital I did my pre-reg at - I don't know how it works in community but it's worth seeing if they can give you a copy to save you having to buy it. You'll get the MEP edition you need sent to you by the RPSGB with one of your PJs so don't worry about that.

I've got Symptoms in the Pharmacy (Blenkinsopp) and found it quite useful - I would recommend buying that one.

Comment

Have any of this years pre-regs out started recieving the PJ or infact anything from the RPSGB yet?
                  Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                  (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Working...
                  X