Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy Courses

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if people could put up posts about the courses we should all be doing as pharmacists, where to find them and what they involve.

I thought this could be a useful reference point for us to check we are all studying what we should be.

Thanks in advance
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Along with one of the pharmacists I've worked with during my pre-reg, I'm applying for Aston university's diploma in clinical community pharmacy; http://www.aston.ac.uk/lhs/pgcourses...ip_Msc_CCP.jsp
    Should be a good way to fill two years before I can do a prescribing course.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G
      Along with one of the pharmacists I've worked with during my pre-reg, I'm applying for Aston university's diploma in clinical community pharmacy; http://www.aston.ac.uk/lhs/pgcourses...ip_Msc_CCP.jsp
      Should be a good way to fill two years before I can do a prescribing course.
      Steve G

Thanks for the link. How much does it cost?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

pharmacy courses

Fantastic idea !
        I've done a post grad in clinical pharmacy ...its been extremely useful and it does help ones confidence particularly when dealing with GPs
        An independent /supplementary prescribing course could be a good idea too.

I am quite upset at the moment because my extra qualifications have not reflected in my take home pay .I work for the pct 3 days a week and my salary is rubbish I used to be a grade E pharmacist,now I'm top of band 7 with no where to go and no pay increase under the new Agenda for change

I'm not political,but I feel its time for a change, pharmacists are not getting a good deal at the moment although it could be a different story for colleagues in community pharmacy,but dare I say this is all about to change with the impending remote supervision laws...but I'm still smiling...anyone got a job going (15 years community,hospital and PCT experience, now that's what I call Skill-mix!)
        Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

The Aston course costs £450 per module and is six modules in total. For anyone who is not a British citizen the cost increases to £660 per module.

If you're interested act quickly beacause the deadline for applications is the 31st July.

Comment

The Aston course costs £450 per module and is six modules in total. For anyone who is not a British citizen the cost increases to £660 per module.

If you're interested act quickly beacause the deadline for applications is the 31st July.
            Err how much was that again ???????????????

Comment

Sign me up for three courses! Twice!
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

I guess the cost seems reasonable to me because I had to pay tuition fees when I was a student, paying ~£1000 fees out of an annual income of ~£7000. So compared to that £1300 out of what I'll be earning when I register (3.5 days and counting) is easily affordable.

Comment

I guess the cost seems reasonable to me because I had to pay tuition fees when I was a student, paying ~£1000 fees out of an annual income of ~£7000. So compared to that £1300 out of what I'll be earning when I register (3.5 days and counting) is easily affordable.
                  Steve

Do you actually expect to get anything out of it? Really ? Honestly ?

I think if I learn any more, I'll just be even more frustrated!

Comment

Well, its at the uni I studied at, and I've spoken to my former personal tutor who strongly recommended the course and praised the person who runs it (and praise doesn't come lightly from her).

So why am I doing it? To bolster my CV? Yes, I suppose so, but also so that I can increase my clinical knowledge, keep in the habit of studying and to increase my chances of getting onto a prescribing course. You need two years post-reg experience before going on a prescribing course, so in a way I guess I'm looking for something to fill those two years. Oh, and I get to go back up to Birmingham on a couple of long weekends

Comment

Well, its at the uni I studied at, and I've spoken to my former personal tutor who strongly recommended the course and praised the person who runs it (and praise doesn't come lightly from her).

So why am I doing it? To bolster my CV? Yes, I suppose so, but also so that I can increase my clinical knowledge, keep in the habit of studying and to increase my chances of getting onto a prescribing course. You need two years post-reg experience before going on a prescribing course, so in a way I guess I'm looking for something to fill those two years. Oh, and I get to go back up to Birmingham on a couple of long weekends
                      If it's CV bolstering you're after - there's a walk in centre in Brum - owned/attached to/next to Boots - I think.

Fay ... off to do a quick search for her last name - Fay Wilson member of the GMC - works there - and might (or migh not) be able to use a pharmacist.

Jeff

Comment

For anyone who is not a British citizen the cost increases to £660 per module.
                        Is that legal?Sounds like a blatant case of national discrimination to me! Surely you mean "Anyone who is not an EU citizen"?
                        I'm off on one of my hobby-horses again, by the way!
                        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Ok fair enough. Do you really want to prescribe though? It would be a lot quicker to study as a nurse, and then you can prescribe anything. To be honest, nobody has ever wanted to see my CV, so I don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                            Is that legal?Sounds like a blatant case of national discrimination to me! Surely you mean "Anyone who is not an EU citizen"?
                            I'm off on one of my hobby-horses again, by the way!
                            A bigger concern is that if you are working (and living) in another EU country you cannot vote for MEPs locally - or at home. (at least that used to be the case)

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                              If it's CV bolstering you're after - there's a walk in centre in Brum - owned/attached to/next to Boots - I think.

Fay ... off to do a quick search for her last name - Fay Wilson member of the GMC - works there - and might (or migh not) be able to use a pharmacist.

Jeff
                              Thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested in moving back to Brum at the time being, it'll just be nice to go back to some places occassionally.

Comment

Working...
                              X