how hard is pharmacy is it doable at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard is pharmacy is it doable at all

hello everyone, i know pharmacy is not easy in any means whatsoever but since i've heared scary stories of people that are way clever than me droping out and retaking, i was just wondering if current pharmacy students or whoever knows about pharmacy could tell me how hard it is and what are the things that the course involves, isit a lot of maths, long study hours or too much practical i mean is it doable at all because i'm going to apply to enter by this 2009 so any comment, opinion and advice will be appreciated, I had failed my A level result because i was sick and i hate to give up so i have aplied for an access to science course to try again becasue most university i contacted ask me to complete an access course and they'll consider me especially that i have A's in all my GCSE'S. thanks

Re: how hard is pharmacy is it doable at all

Oh dear. Regret that necessary to pass exams unless have great deal of experience and A levels taken at evening school etc. You could always try one of the internet unis who will give you a certificate on payment!
    johnep

Comment

Hi Temi,

I am glad to hear you are interested in pharmacy, if not fully sure. I would say that I am an average student - I am not exceptionally intelligent, but I work hard - and I have just got into the fourth and final year without having to re-sit. Pharmacy is definitely do-able, as long as it is the course that you want to do, and you are sure you want to be a pharmacist. If not, you will struggle as your heart won't be in it. Unfortunately lots of people on my course haven't made it through, but that’s because they just didn't have the right attitude. I thoroughly enjoy pharmacy, and recommend it to everyone... I just can't wait to start being an actual pharmacist!!

HTH,
      Caz x

Comment

Originally posted by Temi View Post
        was just wondering if current pharmacy students
        I'm an age away from current, but the purpose of a university is to get bums on seats and award degrees.

Failure is much more likely to be due to an extended interest in the distractions available than an inability to pass the course.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Temi View Post
          hello everyone, i know pharmacy is not easy in any means whatsoever but since i've heared scary stories of people that are way clever than me droping out and retaking, i was just wondering if current pharmacy students or whoever knows about pharmacy could tell me how hard it is and what are the things that the course involves, isit a lot of maths, long study hours or too much practical i mean is it doable at all because i'm going to apply to enter by this 2009 so any comment, opinion and advice will be appreciated, I had failed my A level result because i was sick and i hate to give up so i have aplied for an access to science course to try again becasue most university i contacted ask me to complete an access course and they'll consider me especially that i have A's in all my GCSE'S. thanks
          I have seen people who are 'clever' fall behind and the ones who aren't 'shine'.
          You have to apply yourself and get the work and play balance right to suit yourself.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Hiya Temi…..cute name

I’m a junior pharmacist (graduated in 2006) and I can tell you pharmacy is about ‘what you put in is what you get out’…

Pharmacy is a hard course, but nothings easy in life…everyone has to work hard to achieve something. The first two years are ok, not too much course work and some free time to study. The 3rd and 4th years get harder, because you start the ‘professional practice’ units, OSCE’s and the MPharm project. It will vary between different Uni’s.

I can tell you, when I was at school, I was never studious. I jus wanted to have fun all the time. Parents weren’t too happy.

When I started college, Uni…I changed and everything fell into place. Each day I would set a side sum time to read up my notes etc. I never failed any exams.

You just have to be really organised, read up on your notes each day or within the week, go out once in a while, have a good relationship with your teachers, and generally enjoy studying!

I totally agree with caz …you have to be passionate about doing well and achieving.

Anyone can do it…so can you….
            Lazy Lady...
            [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=Lazy Nite;12747]

You just have to be really organised, read up on your notes each day or within the week, go out once in a while, have a good relationship with your teachers, and generally enjoy studying!

QUOTE]

Learning how to become organised especially when the pressure is on, is definitely a skill that will help you during your pre-reg and throughout your career as a pharmacist, regardless of your career path.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

thanks y'all, what you've said are very supportive

Comment

What are OSCE's?

Lazynite suggested a form of assessment called OSCE's, on the Mpharm course?

Can someone explain what that is?

Does every University use this as assessment,
                  especially 1) Kings / 2) School of Pharmacy / And 3) Medway (3 schools i'm interested in)?

Comment

hey, ive just finished my third year at sop and from what ive heard we have to do OSCEs in the second half of next year and for us it is worth 10% of that semester
                    im not 100% sure what its like but from what ive been told its like various stations where you need to provide different information for different situations, it may be something like checking up interactions in the BNF

Comment

Hey

OSCE’s stands for Observed Structured Clinical Exam. I had my first OSCE in my 4th year; I was scared as hell, but the first one was a practice anyway…..

Personally, I think OSCE’s are very useful, it can identify your strengths and weaknesses. I had about 8 different stations and a 30 minute checking exercise. On each station we had about 5-6 minutes to complete the activity. You can take in your BNF and MEP as well.

Station 1: Counseling a patient
                      Station 2: Responding to symptoms
                      Station 3: Law questions/ ethical decision making
                      Station 4: Hospital drug chart
                      Station 5: Checking CD’s
                      Station 6: Drug Interactions
                      Station 7: Vet Rx

Something like that, I can’t remember the other ones (will have to look at my 4th year notes).

OSCE’s will vary between different schools, but I believe most of them now have OSCE’s in place.

Hope that helps....
                      Lazy Lady...
                      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info on OSCE's everyone.

They seem quite daunting, I would have a nervous breakdown.

I hope the written exams are more important than the OSCE's as I cant see myself performing very well in them.

Can anyone at Kings/Medway tell me what proportion of your total marks, do OSCE's count for?

Do the examiners tend to be arrogant bigwigs like hospital consultants?
                        Sorry to ask in such a way, but I'm considering a career in Pharmacy,
                        and I want to ensure that its doesn't bare much resemblance to Medicine MBBS, where the finals OSCE's are like 24 x 5 minute stations times 2, and they count for 50% of marks and u gotta perform in front of arrogant consultants!!! Not to forget the million OSCES across yrs 1-5. I dont want to be tested till I drop.
                        No thanks - I dont want to venture into a similar career or university course!!

Please tell me MPharm is different and OSCE's do not constitute as much?!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone

Comment

Presume you mean oral exams. Only ones I ever had were French and German at school, the pharmacology and pharmacognosy at uni. Generally I found examiners were kindly and understanding.
                          johnep

Comment

The first OSCE was scary, only because we didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know about pharmacy-forum then and the lectures couldn’t give away too much info…

I think you are lucky, because now you have an idea what OSCE’s are about.

Only 2 of the stations – the counseling and responding to symptoms had examiners (who were our favorite Uni lecturers). The other stations no one is waiting for you to answer…just as long as you complete the answer sheet within the time given.

At the end of the OSCE…the lecturers gave us feedback, so that we could prepare better for the real one. It’s not scary when you have some idea what to expect. I only had one real OSCE in my fourth year….about 3-5 students failed it out of 150….

The OSCE was part of one Unit…50% was the OSCE and the other 50% was a written exam. We usually had 5-6 Units in each semester…
                            Last edited by Lazy Nite; 24, August 2008, 07:04 PM.
                            Lazy Lady...

Comment

At Brighton we have one OSCE every year but each year they get abit harder. The first year OSCE is relatively easy all you need to do is dispense a prescription with no errors and take a drug history from a patient. As long as you respect your patient and ask the right questions, eg drug allergies you pass. Each year they add on a section like you have to make an intervention to a prescription.

I personally like OSCEs as on my course they do count for about the same as a large written exam but you are tested more on your ability to 'act like a pharmacist' ie talking to patients, dispensing, completing a care plan, then being able to rattle off lots of intricate facts. They can seem daunting but its much easier then situations you may be faced with when you start work, I think its a good way of gentley getting you used to working with patients.

Comment

Working...
                              X