Achievements in experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achievements in experience

I've been told to make a list of what things I want to achieve on my summer placement at Boots before starting. Was wondering what sorts of things I should add? Obviously dispensing, clinical and interacting with customers experience. Just wanted to know what else would be useful to add to make the most of my time there? Many thanks

Re: Achievements in experience

Originally posted by mysteryman View Post
    I've been told to make a list of what things I want to achieve on my summer placement at Boots before starting. Was wondering what sorts of things I should add? Obviously dispensing, clinical and interacting with customers experience. Just wanted to know what else would be useful to add to make the most of my time there? Many thanks
    The pleasure and experience of working for the premier large, vibrant and trendsetting pharmacy company in europe.

That should do it.

Have a look at Boots mission statement as well, it helps if you can align your own aims with those of the company.
    ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS View Post
      The pleasure and experience of working for the premier large, vibrant and trendsetting pharmacy company in europe.

That should do it.

Have a look at Boots mission statement as well, it helps if you can align your own aims with those of the company.
      Which of the Swiss languages was the mission statement written in?

Alliance Boots to move HQ to Switzerland
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
        Which of the Swiss languages was the mission statement written in?

Alliance Boots to move HQ to Switzerland
        Easy! the language the swiss understand the most! Money!
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
          Easy! the language the swiss understand the most! Money!
          It seems that's all that matters these days.
          Probably where most of the aid to Africa ends up - in vaults in Zurich.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Hey Mysteryman….

Is this your first placement with Boots? Well done for getting the placement.

I did a Boots placement in my 2nd and 3rd year; it was hard work, but good. I felt like a headless chicken running around the shop, looking for shampoos, nappies, the lot!!

It’s a good idea to set your objectives before you start, and they will give you a day’s talk at the head office on what to expect. I’ve got some tips:

1. Make sure you go to the induction day at the head office to get the manual, or you will be lost!
            2. Make sure you know who your tutor is and make an effort to see them before you start. Your tutor is key, as they will be assessing you every four weeks (over the 2 months) and give you marks out of 5 for competencies.
            3. Try to get to know more about the pharmacy team – who does what, and what training they’ve had.
            4. Make sure you spend enough time on the counter, MDS and dispensary. You should get more time in the dispensary.
            5. Try to get lots of counseling experience – get a senior to observe you.
            6. Know your OTC – it was daunting at first, esp if you have no experience. Have a look at the OTC directory or Community pharmacy by P. Rutter.
            7. Get some experience of taking in prescriptions, labeling, dispensing, CD’s and sorting out problems.
            8. Use the Stockleys interactions, BNF – look up anything your unsure of during quiet times.
            9. MDS – make sure you know what not to blister and how to deal with nursing homes.
            10. You might be asked to do a presentation – choose a unique topic. When I did mine, everyone chose to do – hay fever, traveler’s diarrhoea, nausea etc.
            11. For the Exam, it’s easy – just make sure you know your counseling, OTC, basic law and calculations.
            12. Keep in touch with friends doing the placement and enjoy– it does help!

Good luck and I hope this helps….
            Last edited by Lazy Nite; 30, June 2008, 06:55 PM.
            Lazy Lady...
            [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
              Hey Mysteryman….

Is this your first placement with Boots? Well done for getting the placement.

I did a Boots placement in my 2nd and 3rd year; it was hard work, but good. I felt like a headless chicken running around the shop, looking for shampoos, nappies, the lot!!

It’s a good idea to set your objectives before you start, and they will give you a day’s talk at the head office on what to expect. I’ve got some tips:

1. Make sure you go to the induction day at the head office to get the manual, or you will be lost!
              2. Make sure you know who your tutor is and make an effort to see them before you start. Your tutor is key, as they will be assessing you every four weeks (over the 2 months) and give you marks out of 5 for competencies.
              3. Try to get to know more about the pharmacy team – who does what, and what training they’ve had.
              4. Make sure you spend enough time on the counter, MDS and dispensary. You should get more time in the dispensary.
              5. Try to get lots of counseling experience – get a senior to observe you.
              6. Know your OTC – it was daunting at first, esp if you have no experience. Have a look at the OTC directory or Community pharmacy by P. Rutter.
              7. Get some experience of taking in prescriptions, labeling, dispensing, CD’s and sorting out problems.
              8. Use the Stockleys interactions, BNF – look up anything your unsure of during quiet times.
              9. MDS – make sure you know what not to blister and how to deal with nursing homes.
              10. You might be asked to do a presentation – choose a unique topic. When I did mine, everyone chose to do – hay fever, traveler’s diarrhoea, nausea etc.
              11. For the Exam, it’s easy – just make sure you know your counseling, OTC, basic law and calculations.
              12. Keep in touch with friends doing the placement and enjoy– it does help!

Good luck and I hope this helps….
              Thanks, that was very useful. Do you get told what to do in the shop i.e. work on the healthcare counter help dispensing, or do you get left to your own devices so to speak?

Comment

Hey..

When you first start there, they will give you a brief induction around the department and show you some videos. After that they will put you on the counter, and it’s up to you after that. But try to observe someone at first. Get the healthcare assistant to mentor you in your early days. Ask as many questions – the healthcare assistants, dispensers and pharmacists.

If your tutor is good, he/she will tell you to stay 2 weeks on the counter, 4 weeks in dispensary and they will make sure you get enough time in each. However, I’ve heard and experienced that summer students can get left on the counter for longer, just because they are short staff.

Make sure ur not in that situation and be pushy! Show them what you want to achieve…

Hope that helps…
                Lazy Lady...
                [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                  Hey..

When you first start there, they will give you a brief induction around the department and show you some videos. After that they will put you on the counter, and it’s up to you after that. But try to observe someone at first. Get the healthcare assistant to mentor you in your early days. Ask as many questions – the healthcare assistants, dispensers and pharmacists.

If your tutor is good, he/she will tell you to stay 2 weeks on the counter, 4 weeks in dispensary and they will make sure you get enough time in each. However, I’ve heard and experienced that summer students can get left on the counter for longer, just because they are short staff.

Make sure ur not in that situation and be pushy! Show them what you want to achieve…

Hope that helps…
                  Thanks once again for the advice. I was also told that I would be shown the business side of things as well, but not entirely sure of what this would include? Can anyone explain what sort of things would be in the business part?

Comment

Checking the cash and reconciling with the tills is basic. With luck you could be introduced to merchanting and the reason for all those planograms.
                    johnep

Comment

When I had a summer job in Boots in 1987 (! ), they said vacation students were only allocated one uniform

Make sure you ask for at last 2 uniforms

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                        When I had a summer job in Boots in 1987 (! ), they said vacation students were only allocated one uniform

Make sure you ask for at last 2 uniforms
                        I can beat you there, I joined boots as a pre-reg in 1972! And I did get two white coats (of blessed memory).

My least favourite part of the prereg was my experience on what was called "surgical." The dept senior wouldn't let me on the counter, so I used to spend my days mountaineering (literally) in a room filled with boxes of nappies and ST's, filling lists for the counter.

My favourite part was joining the security staff. Morse eat your heart out. I was devastated when a known shoplifter still managed to persuade me to give her a refund on a can of hair spray when the security staff assured me later she had nicked it from spar. Seeing shoplifters in action, and dishonest staff as well, and learning about the deviousness that some people resort to is something I've never forgotten. On one occassion, for instance, I was working in their audio department, when we noticed that it had all gone quiet. In place of the state of the art stereo (at the time, big and heavy), were just two cut wires going to the speakers. Ah, subtlety, I love it.
                        ....just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                        X