Doing 'more'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing 'more'

Hey guys, seeing as I am off for 4 months I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions in order to make my CV stronger. I am already working in a community pharmacy but what other things can you do to make you stand out.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Doing 'more'

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
    Hey guys, seeing as I am off for 4 months I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions in order to make my CV stronger. I am already working in a community pharmacy but what other things can you do to make you stand out.
    Voluntary work - health related, but outside of pharmacy. Care/Nursing homes so you can see how the MDS systems and MAR sheets are actually used - and how to talk and listen to the elderly.
    See if they need any summer volunteers at the local DAT.
    Use the opportunity to network with the groups you will be dealing with.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Voluntary work - health related, but outside of pharmacy. Care/Nursing homes so you can see how the MDS systems and MAR sheets are actually used - and how to talk and listen to the elderly.
      See if they need any summer volunteers at the local DAT.
      Use the opportunity to network with the groups you will be dealing with.

Jeff
      Thanks Jeff but what's MDS AND MAR?. Also what's DAT. Also are there any free pharmacy magazines that one can subscribe to?
      3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Hey Giggsy

From one student to another

The BPSA's Professional Development Certificate - a little late for this year but it's a great foundation in CPD and adds a little sparkle to your CV!

BPSA - British Pharmaceutical Students' Association - Home

Also - magazines, I get the C+D magazine and NICE bulletins delivered to my inbox for free - the Update and the Clinical Bulletins are great to keep you up to speed with the news! The Tommorrows Pharmacist magazine is published annually - they should have been delivered to your School, but if its like ours they'll be gathering dust in Stores!!
        wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Also, the RPSGB's Student Day at BPC is available for a bargain £5 + VAT - not exactly doing 'more' but you get to meet lots of people and have a good browse around all the exhibition stands and talk to the likes of BTC, Lloyds, TESCO, ASDA, GSK, Pfizer, AZ etc etc - most of them will give you information on their summer schemes and pre-reg training (as well as handy freebies)
          wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Spend a day with a vet?

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
              Thanks Jeff but what's MDS AND MAR?. Also what's DAT. Also are there any free pharmacy magazines that one can subscribe to?
              Monitored Dose System - the Boxes you fill for the homes

Medicine Administration Record - the sheets of paper you print off for the homes to check off what doses have been given

Drug Alcohol Team - the guys that send out those blue scripts for methadone- subutex etc

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by laurabuk View Post
                Also, the RPSGB's Student Day at BPC is available for a bargain £5 + VAT - not exactly doing 'more' but you get to meet lots of people and have a good browse around all the exhibition stands and talk to the likes of BTC, Lloyds, TESCO, ASDA, GSK, Pfizer, AZ etc etc - most of them will give you information on their summer schemes and pre-reg training (as well as handy freebies)
                I agree. This is definately worth going to as a student as for only £5 you get loads of free stuff.

The ASDA pens are crap though. I guess this reflects the job as well.

Comment

Working...
                X