Which university is the best??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which university is the best??

I am a A-level student and i have been given offers from 3 uni, Bath, Manchester and East Anglia. My Ucas deadline is soon, but i am struggled to make my chioce. Can anybody give me some suggestions and show me the updated pharmacy ranking table please? Shall i look at the subject table or the overall uni table????

Re: Which university is the best??

Hello Lotteboyhk! I'm at LJMU so I think I can offer you impartial advice

Personally, I don't rate league tables as they tend to go on the University's rating and not the School's rating. Also, although there is standard criteria that need to be met for a School to be accredited by Society the way that individual Schools meet these is different; I know some School's are following the Medics and going for PBL (problem based learning) whilst others follow the traditional lectures route. Being a Northerner I would say Manchester lol but there are advantages to all the Schools you have offers from.

It depends on the School, whether you can meet the offers given to you, where you're from, how far you're prepared to move and such ...

HTH

Laura

P.S - not much help in your current position but I know the BPSA is keen to get information on all the Schools on their website to help others like you. Look out for their Roadshow at whichever School you end up at - and good luck with the exams!
    wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

In my day, the girls tried to get away from home as far as possible, while the boys tried to stay as near home as possible.
      johnep

Comment

I can tell you that Bath's course is taught as a mixture of lectures and PBL all the way through, though with increasing amounts of clinical in the 3rd and 4th years. The only person at the uni who doesn't like it is my ex-housemate who got kicked out last year for failing his exams...so yes. Would definitely recommend Bath. In terms of the tables, it depends which paper you look in but Bath and Notts tend to be right at the top, Manchester is a bit below and UEA is a bit lower. That's just the ones I've seen though (and I saw them because mum sent them, so I might be a bit biased!)

Comment

yes i meant University
          as i am a overseas student, i dont reli concern about the location. coz i am going to live in the university site anyway.
          Out of the three, which would give me a better furture?Lets say if i apply for a job after graudauted, which university would the employer think is better.
          Please help, my Ucas deadline is in 2 days

PS: one more question, can university reject me if i reach their offer but i put it as my INSURANCE choice.

thanks 4 answering!

Comment

Originally posted by lotteboyhk View Post
            yes i meant University
            as i am a overseas student, i dont reli concern about the location. coz i am going to live in the university site anyway.
            Out of the three, which would give me a better furture?Lets say if i apply for a job after graudauted, which university would the employer think is better.
            Please help, my Ucas deadline is in 2 days

PS: one more question, can university reject me if i reach their offer but i put it as my INSURANCE choice.

thanks 4 answering!

Because the course is regulated by the RPSGB an MPharm from any of those universities should be equivalent and I doubt you'd get looked upon more favourably for any of them. The only time it's made any difference to me is if I'm being interviewed by someone who studied at Bath and it's a bit of an ice-breaker. Did you visit the universities for open days? Which ones did you like?

Oh, and if you put a uni as your insurance choice there's no way they can reject you.

Comment

Doesn't make any difference to employment prospects as a pharmacist.
              If in the future you decide that pharmacy is not the career for you - then I suspect that Manchester has a better reputation. (At least internationally - if for no other reason than everyone has heard of the football team)
              Having been to an Open Day in Manchester with my son (who has no interest in pharmacy) we both agreed that there were enough "fit" young ladies around to keep him pleasantly occupied whatever the academic course was like.

Jeff

Comment

being a foreign student , i asume you will go back after gaining your degree so in this case it does make a difference, I recommend one of the research oriented universities with high reputaion e.g. manchester uni (world-class research led university), nottingham uni, king's college (in which case you would gain a university of London degree, same as if you went to Imperial college, argubly the third best uni in england/uk although cost in London is quite high compared to other cities), Also Bath is quite good, as with good overall reputation.

In the uk however as long as you dont want to get involved in industry (they only want the best), university and even type of degree (first, 2:1, 2:2 or pass) doesnt have any significance in your career progression, if one becomes a community pharmacist or even a clinical hospital pharmacist. No one asks you the university or the degree you got except for casual conversation.

hope that helps!!!
                We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Have a look at Tuesday's Guardian. Supplement on Universities, with Uni's graded according to staff/student ratio and one or two other features.

Comment

Hi!

I am a third year student at UEA (East Anglia) and I am really enjoying it! The pharmacy course at UEA is pretty new, so we do things like problem based learning (PBL) and inter-professional learning - where we work with other HCP's.

The only downside for me is the location of Norwich... I find it very cut off from the rest of the country and that gets me down a little bit. However, I am originally from the Bath area, and in comparison, Bath and Bristol are much much better cities.

HTH x

Comment

Originally posted by lm248 View Post
                      I can tell you that Bath's course is taught as a mixture of lectures and PBL all the way through, though with increasing amounts of clinical in the 3rd and 4th years. The only person at the uni who doesn't like it is my ex-housemate who got kicked out last year for failing his exams...so yes. Would definitely recommend Bath. In terms of the tables, it depends which paper you look in but Bath and Notts tend to be right at the top, Manchester is a bit below and UEA is a bit lower. That's just the ones I've seen though (and I saw them because mum sent them, so I might be a bit biased!)

Just on a different tune to current discussion, Herfordshire University postgrad programme enables pharmacist to make the most of the opportunities offered by the recent white paper on the future of pharmacy, enabling pharmacist to offer enhanced clinical services. The School of Pharmacy, University of Hertfordshire is offering a Post-graduate programme for pharmacists and is now recruiting for September 2008.
                      Last edited by admin; 1, June 2008, 11:02 PM. Reason: looked like an advert - see post below

Comment

Hi Nader

I am not being funny or anything, but this whole post was obviously simply copied/pasted from somewhere else. It read just like an advert so I've seriously cut it down. If you can convince me differently I'll happily put it back up. Please write original posts on here that are your own. I have no problem if you have posted it already on another forum, but please make it your own words.

How do I know - the broken English your e-mails contain, compared to the much better (near) perfect English in this post. Ok a few typos and plurals missing, but a big improvement.

If someone else used your account to post for you please tell them to get their own!

Thank you
                        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Gosh you are sharp today, I am getting so used to the atrocious spelling and grammar, that I did not notice. Presume quotes are OK if attributed to source.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                            Gosh you are sharp today, I am getting so used to the atrocious spelling and grammar, that I did not notice. Presume quotes are OK if attributed to source.
                            johnep
                            The irony of it.
                            Hardly what you would expect of prospective undergraduates.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                              Hi Nader

I am not being funny or anything, but this whole post was obviously simply copied/pasted from somewhere else. It read just like an advert so I've seriously cut it down. If you can convince me differently I'll happily put it back up. Please write original posts on here that are your own. I have no problem if you have posted it already on another forum, but please make it your own words.

How do I know - the broken English your e-mails contain, compared to the much better (near) perfect English in this post. Ok a few typos and plurals missing, but a big improvement.

If someone else used your account to post for you please tell them to get their own!

Thank you
                              I thought the forum is to imform and not a place to censor. This is not advert and I do not own the University and merely telling pharmacists what is avaialble. I suggest you check entry on Electronic CD register and tell me if that is advert or not. I am assuming this is not link to you and you not creator of the CD website.
                              Nader
                              PS: why not reveal your name rather than hiding behind Admin. For all know you could be a monster running the show!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X