Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a couple of questions.. (with regards to study and pharmacy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a couple of questions.. (with regards to study and pharmacy)

Hi, I'm was a little reluctant to post here at first as I felt out of place but I'm sure it's worth a try...

Okay, so I'm currently a 16 (almost 17- great!) year old student studying my A Levels. Courses that I study are; Chemistry, Biology, History and Threatre Studies. Yes, they may sound like a little bit of a strange mixture but I am not intending to continue my studies for theatre next year. Let's just say it's not quite what I expected. Additionaly, I work part-time at our local pharmacy where I'm wading through Buttercup's dispensing course (already completed NPA Pharmacy Assistant's course and a series of courses within the company).

Sorry I am trying hard to try and prevent this from sounding like 'This is your life'. Basically, I was just wondering what kind of information you guys could pass on with regards to the course, universities, pharmacy once qualified and anything that you feel may benefit me. I have researched into this a fair bit but I thought perhaps it would be useful for a little more information.

In advance, thankyou . Also, sorry that it's quite lengthy. Of course I don't really expect a reply any time soon as it's Easter Sunday/Bank holiday Monday. Hope ya'll had a good Easter!

Robert.
    [SIZE="3"][B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Long road to ruin there in your eyes
    Under the cold streetlights
    No tomorrow, no dead end in sight[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Re: Just a couple of questions.. (with regards to study and pharmacy)

I was just your age when I started in pharmacy as Saturday boy. My A levels were chem,phys,biol as these were required for pharmacy at the time. Contact Education Dept at RPSGB for further info, or simply ask your pharmacist for secretary of local branch. They should have one of the committee nominated as careers officer who could help you. Pharmacy has taken me all over the world and is still providing me with a relatively comfortable semi-retirement.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Roberttt View Post
      Hi, I'm was a little reluctant to post here at first as I felt out of place but I'm sure it's worth a try...

Okay, so I'm currently a 16 (almost 17- great!) year old student studying my A Levels. Courses that I study are; Chemistry, Biology, History and Threatre Studies. Yes, they may sound like a little bit of a strange mixture but I am not intending to continue my studies for theatre next year. Let's just say it's not quite what I expected. Additionaly, I work part-time at our local pharmacy where I'm wading through Buttercup's dispensing course (already completed NPA Pharmacy Assistant's course and a series of courses within the company).

Sorry I am trying hard to try and prevent this from sounding like 'This is your life'. Basically, I was just wondering what kind of information you guys could pass on with regards to the course, universities, pharmacy once qualified and anything that you feel may benefit me. I have researched into this a fair bit but I thought perhaps it would be useful for a little more information.

In advance, thankyou . Also, sorry that it's quite lengthy. Of course I don't really expect a reply any time soon as it's Easter Sunday/Bank holiday Monday. Hope ya'll had a good Easter!

Robert.
      Can't criticise theatre studies if it involves drama. This can help you to understand human reactions and how to "act" in the various situations we find ourselves in as pharmacists.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Robert.
        Whilst you do not have the traditional 3 science A-levels I don't think that just having two sciences will be much of a bar on attending most universities to study pharmacy. Chemistry's the important one.

But really....WHY do you want to study pharmacy? Do you enjoy your part-time job? Would you really like to do a glorified version of your part-time job for the rest of your life? Are you just thinking of applying for pharmacy because 'you have the relevant A-levels and work experience' and you think it's a guarenteed option? Talk to the pharmacists you work with and ask them for their opinions. Whilst 'job security' has always been a main pro for the career this cannot be said forever.

Comment

Thanks for your replies so far, I appreciate it.

Well I've always been interested in the health sector and I like the idea that i will be able to provide help to those that are in need... even if they are appreciative or not. I may be quite young and inexperienced but I've came into contact with plenty of rather rude patients/customers. Although it can be sympathised with in a majority of cases.

Actually, I was interested in studying Medicine up until I found a work experience placement at the Pharmacy. After the week or so was up, I was asked whether I wanted to continue my experience as a Saturday boy. Since then I've grown interest in Pharmacy and after speaking to several locums and our ex-Manageress, the course itself sounds interesting along with the experience of university. However, some of the Locums I have had the pleasure of talking to have advised me to look elsewhere for numerous reasons, most of which are highlighted through some of the opinions on this forum (i.e. the wage, the hours, the patients, the doctors, their job being phased out by ACTs etc etc)

Again, thankyou.

Comment

Roberttt,
            Don't let the hardcore cynics on this forum put you off.
            As I have posted many times before, I love my job and would recommend it to my kids if I had any. Okay, so I get a bit stressed sometimes- but it makes life more interesting, challenging; and you feel great when you've tamed the stress and dealt with whatever crisis there was!
            So please, don't think that all community pharmacists are cheesed off with their jobs, because this one, at least, isn't!
            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

If you can get in to study medicine my advice is to do that.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I did Chemistry, Human Biology and Medieval History. History helped me with essays and analysing information. I think that its handy to have a non-science A level.
                Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

Hi Robert,

I just read your post and it reminded me of when i was your age. I am only 22 but i was in a similar situation as to yourself. I did not know what i wanted to do in university, however i did know it was going to be science related. So I worked voluntarily in a pharmacy and opticians as they appealed to me. The wok experience made my decision to study pharmacy alot easier. The experience i gained from my pharmacy was great, such as the enjoyment of helping people and meeting new people on a daily basis. My advice would be if you do enjoy working in a pharmacy then go for it.

Similar to you I studied biology and chemistry A levels and i did not have any problems applying for pharmacy courses. Most university except two sciences but you would have to contact them to find out what is there exact admission criteria.

As i mentioned earlier i am currently a 4th pharmacy student. My opinion on the course is that it challenging but at the same I really enjoyed it and i believe it brought the best out of me. I am studying at University of East Anglia and i would highly recommend it to you. Great university and the course, staff, students, facilities and campus is excellent.

I hope i helped and good luck with whatever you do.

Majid

Comment

Again, thanks to all that have replied. I am still unsure as to what I wish to study but I guess I have a few months until I have to start looking for university placements.

Majid, could I just ask some questions about the course? You see, I would love to study Pharmacy as I like giving advice to patients (or 'customers') on whatever possible and I feel as a qualified Pharmacist, I would be able to offer alot more. Obviously Pharmacy is going to include aspects of Chemistry, I know that. However, I was just wondering how much of the course actually involves chemistry?

Thankyou, Robert .

Comment

Hi Robert,

I am glad that i could help you and my advice made sense. With regards to your question, i think that chemistry is involved alot in the course. However the whole course is not chemistry based. Each year we study parts of chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths and that each year we develop our learning and go more in depth in these subject fields. Since you are studying Biology and Chemistry at A-levels it will help you alot.

Majid

Comment

Again, thanks to all that have replied. I am still unsure as to what I wish to study but I guess I have a few months until I have to start looking for university placements.

Majid, could I just ask some questions about the course? You see, I would love to study Pharmacy as I like giving advice to patients (or 'customers') on whatever possible and I feel as a qualified Pharmacist, I would be able to offer alot more. Obviously Pharmacy is going to include aspects of Chemistry, I know that. However, I was just wondering how much of the course actually involves chemistry?

Thankyou, Robert .

Hi Robert, just noticed this thread and thought I'd stick my oar in too I'm in my 3rd year at Bath Uni. I did biology, chemistry and german at A-level and am definitely glad I did German instead of say maths or physics - it's far better to do something that you'll enjoy and get a good grade in, and it gives you something to talk about in interviews.

With regard to medicine vs pharmacy - first off, everyone I know who's doing medicine at uni finds it takes over their life. Huge amount of work and stress, so you have to really really want it as opposed to thinking it might be something nice to do. I'm not saying pharmacy's a walk in the park but you do get free time - I currently have 2 occasional part time jobs and plenty of time to see friends and get work done.

Another thing I noticed you mentioning was the ACT issue. The way I see it (and the way I've heard pharmacists talking about it) is that it's actually a positive - it means less time dispensing prescriptions and more time making use of the 4 years of clinical pharmacy you've learned as you have far more time free to spend on wards/doing MURs. The profession is changing but generally (excluding this forum!) all the pharmacists I've spoken with seem happy with it.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend pharmacy as a degree. I have to admit I found the first 2 years very hard, but this year we're doing a lot of clinical pharmacy and it's all tying together. As for chemistry - we did a module on organic chemistry in the first year, and since then it's been *slightly* optional. I have a general understanding of the concepts but I'm very shaky on electron transfer diagrams and it doesn't seem to ahve affected my exams *crosses fingers* I'd be more worried if you couldn't do maths or biology to save your life

Comment

Originally posted by lm248 View Post

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend pharmacy as a degree. I have to admit I found the first 2 years very hard, but this year we're doing a lot of clinical pharmacy and it's all tying together. As for chemistry - we did a module on organic chemistry in the first year, and since then it's been *slightly* optional. I have a general understanding of the concepts but I'm very shaky on electron transfer diagrams and it doesn't seem to ahve affected my exams *crosses fingers* I'd be more worried if you couldn't do maths or biology to save your life
                          The problem is that the sciences are 'compartmentalised' in the way they are taught.
                          When it was a 3 year course it took until just before christmas in the final year for it all to click into place. When it does everything suddenly becomes clearer and then it gets a bit easier to understand.
                          How times change.

Comment

What's the ACT thing?
                            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Working...
                            X