Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the major part-time jobs for Pharmacy students?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the major part-time jobs for Pharmacy students?

Dear All,

As I am going to study in Brighton for 4 years, starting from September for the Master of Pharmacy. I would like to know what are the main part-time jobs which I can work for both the school terms as well as the vocations which have a higher wages. Would you all provide any means to me?

Thanks for your help,

Lawrence

Re: What are the major part-time jobs for Pharmacy students?

I started as a Saturday boy and did this for a couple of years before starting my apprenticeship. I also worked during the holidays. Contact your local pharmacies. However, do not expect to work in the dispensary. I was on healthcare counter.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      I started as a Saturday boy and did this for a couple of years before starting my apprenticeship. I also worked during the holidays. Contact your local pharmacies. However, do not expect to work in the dispensary. I was on healthcare counter.
      johnep
      Johnep,

Thanks for your reply but would you mind telling me the paid you could get and what is meant by healthcare counter? Also, can I start working there from year 1?

Lawrence

Comment

Crumbs you lot are softies. I started originally as a paper boy at age 15 and as a Saturday boy with BTC at sixteen and still did the paper round until nearly A levels.
        You should get the minimum wage as specified for your age. I got 90p/day with 30p National Insurance deducted as was more than 4 hours. Still was 1950.

The healthcare counter is where medicines are sold. I suggest you actually go into a large pharmacy and read the signs suspended above, just like a supermarket. In the pharmacy where I worked we had the Healthcare counter adjacent to the dispensary and also a surgical counter where dressings, STs, baby goods etc were sold.

if you would excuse me, you do show an ignorance of the facts of everyday life. get away from your computer and enter the real world.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Crumbs you lot are softies. I started originally as a paper boy at age 15 and as a Saturday boy with BTC at sixteen and still did the paper round until nearly A levels.
          You should get the minimum wage as specified for your age. I got 90p/day with 30p National Insurance deducted as was more than 4 hours. Still was 1950.

The healthcare counter is where medicines are sold. I suggest you actually go into a large pharmacy and read the signs suspended above, just like a supermarket. In the pharmacy where I worked we had the Healthcare counter adjacent to the dispensary and also a surgical counter where dressings, STs, baby goods etc were sold.

if you would excuse me, you do show an ignorance of the facts of everyday life. get away from your computer and enter the real world.
          johnep

Johnep,

Thanks for your quick response and I would like to tell you as I am still in Hong Kong until September so that I would like to have some preparations beforehand and explore myself more into the industry: As I would like to be a Clinical Pharmacist (psychiatric) as well as independent prescriber in US and UK.

Hope you understand my rationale as I am self-financed for my study - I need to make the best use of my savings!

Lawrence

Comment

Paydens have a few pharmacies in the Brighton area, may have vaccancies for saturday and vacation work. Send your CV to Barrie Smith c/o head office. PM me and I can give you his email address.

Comment

Well one thing, your English is nigh perfect. If you show enterprise by contacting companies now, am sure you will be rewarded. Paydens advertise regularly in PJ.
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by MPharm View Post
                Dear All,

As I am going to study in Brighton for 4 years, starting from September for the Master of Pharmacy. I would like to know what are the main part-time jobs which I can work for both the school terms as well as the vocations which have a higher wages. Would you all provide any means to me?

Thanks for your help,

Lawrence
                You're a student and will be reguarded as cheap labour.
                Do you have (will you need) a work permit?
                (I've no idea - but rules have changed - putting the onus on employers to make sure that those employed are permitted to work here)

Best of luck

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  You're a student and will be reguarded as cheap labour.
                  Do you have (will you need) a work permit?
                  (I've no idea - but rules have changed - putting the onus on employers to make sure that those employed are permitted to work here)

Best of luck

Jeff
                  Jeff,

Thanks for your reply and opinion!~ According to the British law, I can work 20 hours per week during the school terms and full-time during the holidays. I have counted that I can work full-time for about 130 days per year.

Lawrence

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply and opinion!~ According to the British law, I can work 20 hours per week during the school terms and full-time during the holidays. I have counted that I can work full-time for about 130 days per year.

Lawrence
                    OK - as you're allowed to work - have you considered hotel work - the money isn't good - but there are also the tips.
                    The hours can be fairly late so you could begin well after the student day has finished and the long summer break is when the the Brighton hotels would need extra staff. If you begin now at a HK hotel you might be able to transfer your job and experience to one within the same group in Brighton.
                    eg Ramada, Holiday Inn, Hilton etc

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      OK - as you're allowed to work - have you considered hotel work - the money isn't good - but there are also the tips.
                      The hours can be fairly late so you could begin well after the student day has finished and the long summer break is when the the Brighton hotels would need extra staff. If you begin now at a HK hotel you might be able to transfer your job and experience to one within the same group in Brighton.

Jeff
                      Jeff,

In HK, I am a part-time teacher so that I cannot work any more part-time jobs. Therefore, I would like to seek for some jobs which are closer to pharmacy and work for during the long summer. That is my reason to post a thread here and do some preparation for that,

Thanks for your advice once again,

Lawrence

Comment

Jeff,

In HK, I am a part-time teacher so that I cannot work any more part-time jobs. Therefore, I would like to seek for some jobs which are closer to pharmacy and work for during the long summer. That is my reason to post a thread here and do some preparation for that,

Thanks for your advice once again,

Lawrence
                        Lawrence,
                        With your interest in psychiatric pharmacy, you could them consider applying to
                        View Facility

I think there's a link somewhere for job applicants.

Jeff

Comment

Whilst working in a community pharmacy will not provide you with much more than minimum wage it will be most relevant for your studies.

You may also be able to find employment in Brighton hospital pharmacy department on weekends. You should definately try and get (psychatric) hospital experience on vacations (even if you can't get a paid position), it will provide you with experiences that community pharmacy cannot.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
                            Whilst working in a community pharmacy will not provide you with much more than minimum wage it will be most relevant for your studies.

You may also be able to find employment in Brighton hospital pharmacy department on weekends. You should definately try and get (psychatric) hospital experience on vacations (even if you can't get a paid position), it will provide you with experiences that community pharmacy cannot.

Good luck.
                            N.T,

Thanks for your reply but would you mind telling me what department should I approach for getting a job in hospital?

Thanks,

Lawrence

Comment

Oh dear. Who does the advertising and interviews for jobs? Start with HR (human resources), Personnel, General admin office.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X