good tip for pre-reg and students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good tip for pre-reg and students

basicly to protect and support yourself in a pharmacy enviroment its best to have some people who are on your side, this includes cases where the student or pre-reg might have differences with the pharmacy owners or hierarchy.

So what am i sayin, well join the Pharmacists' Defence Association (PDA), its free and they offer £300,000 in lawyer fees etc... and £5 million in liability cover. refer to the chloroform case where a pre-reg was involved.

this is especially important for next years pre-regs because say u are bullied or treated unfairly, not paid on time, paid less than agrrede amount etc.. it gud to have a professional body like PDA behind you, believe me the RPSGB isnt gonna help you. (although in such situations they should still be consulted)

so to join jus go to their website and register for free online, they send you a cover certificate within 3-4 days, and they're the only profesional organistaion solely representing the interests of pharmacists (not pharmacies or multiples etc...).
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Re: good tip for pre-reg and students

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
    So what am i sayin, well join the Pharmacists' Defence Association (PDA), its free
    Are you sure?
    and they offer £300,000 in lawyer fees etc... and £5 million in liability cover. refer to the chloroform case where a pre-reg was involved.
    Wasn't it the Peppermint water case?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

It's free for the pre-registration pharmacists and also for the first 3 months after registration.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
        Are you sure?

Wasn't it the Peppermint water case?

I think the error was with chloroform water dilution though.

Comment

what recent major errors have occured in the pharmaceutical field?
          3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
            what recent major errors have occured in the pharmaceutical field?
            A Lloyds pharmacist dispensed what it said on the script
            £5,000,000 was - I think - the sum awarded.

Jeff

Comment

Thankyou to the people who replied on my behalf to clarify my point. Joining the PDA is definately a good idea.
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Joining the PDA is definately a good idea.
                We agree on that - but let's keep it quiet

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  A Lloyds pharmacist dispensed what it said on the script
                  £5,000,000 was - I think - the sum awarded.

Jeff
                  How's that an error?

Comment

How's that an error?
                    Lloydspharmacy fighting £5m damages case

Lloydspharmacy ordered to pay compensation after steroid error

Are you sure that you want to be a pharmacist?

Jeff

Comment

American lawyer (worst possible pt!) went to Dr in UK for rpt script of Dexamethasone 0.5mg. dexamethasone rarely used here so Dr probably more familiar with Prednisolone. However script was written for 2mg (standard dose) and dispensed without question by lloyds although on PMR dosage was 0.5mg. Pt returned to USA where local Dr simply repeated what was on label.
                      Pt sued everyone in sight (as you do if you are an american lawyer).

Originally awarded 2m against lloyds on basis pharmacist should have queried dose change. On appeal, lloyds let off as pt already secured 1.9m against Dr.

For once my sympathies were with lloyds.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        what a rubbish question man, any job has the risk of that, you can't sit at home and shy away from that fact. I thought a pharmacists job is to get the prescription from the doctor and prescribe it?

Comment

what a rubbish question man, any job has the risk of that, you can't sit at home and shy away from that fact.
                          There's many jobs where you can get paid a lot more for a lot less responsibility.

I thought a pharmacists job is to get the prescription from the doctor and prescribe it?
                          No. The pharmacist has to check the suitability of the prescription. If script is wrong and gets dispensed liability is 50/50 pharmacist/doctor.

Comment

[QUOTE=N.T;10699]There's many jobs where you can get paid a lot more for a lot less responsibility.
                            QUOTE]

Thought for the day....
                            Will the day come when we do 'defensive dispensing'?
                            I have a few scenarios where a patient could contrive an error and try for max compensation, and it would be difficult to prove absence of error.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pharmanaut;10700]
                              Originally posted by N.T View Post
                              There's many jobs where you can get paid a lot more for a lot less responsibility.
                              QUOTE]Will the day come when we do 'defensive dispensing'?
                              I have a few scenarios where a patient could contrive an error and try for max compensation, and it would be difficult to prove absence of error.
                              It has already come. However, I will not give any examples in such a public forum as it may give the Trisha-watchers some new ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X