a bit of a surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a bit of a surprise

I'm new to this forum and just been browsing for the last few hours (anything to avoid my essay) and must say am a bit surprised by the apparent lack of satisfaction in Pharmacy! Anyways, I've been considering Pharmacy quite a lot lately. I'm a graduate with a BSc and soon to finish an MSc (both in medica/pharmacology related subjects) and I suppose I've been looking at Pharm because of its well documented job security and and financial stability. I would eventually like to go into clinical pharmacology research, possibly in industry but some of my tutors have expressed how hard it is to get into this field and the insecurities that may come with this. Also, I seriously screwed up my A levels which prevented me from entering in at 18.

I'll definately go and find some people to talk to very soon and maybe get more work experience, but is this lack of satisfaction just the view of three or four people or is this a widespread thing? Also, is it therefore inadvisable to invest 4/5 years at this stage. Any comments will be appreciated.

Re: a bit of a surprise

Well, why did you start your present course? What were you hoping to do in the end? Were you badly advised?
    Tell us more.
    johnep

Comment

Nah, it wasn't anything to do with being badly advised I don't think. When I finished my last degree my project supervisor was trying to get me to do his PhD, but I didn't feel I was ready at that stage, mainly because I didn't think I wanted to spend the next 3/4 years on the topic I did for my final year project.

Anyways, he suggested maybe a MRes/Mphil or something to give me more experience and to give me a better idea as to what I wanted to do. I decided to go for a MSc in pharmacology, simply because its an area I do find fascinating and thought 'why don't I spend a year delving deeper into this area'. It was purely for interest rather than for entry into a particular career. But its only been recently that I've been thinking of Pharmacy (which I was all set to do after sixth form), mainly due to reasons I mentioned previously about stability ect... So I found this forum, and just thought I would express my genuine surprise about the apparent lack of satisfaction. Hope I've given you a bit more info. Thanks for replying!

Comment

Mainly employee community pharmacists who 'can't get no satisfaction'.

I had a great time in industry and took 30% salary drop when had to move to community, hospital can provide very well paid jobs at higher grades. However, starting money in retail is higher and thus tempting for grad with student loan etc.
        johnep

Comment

Please don't think we're all dissatisfied with Pharmacy- I'm not! I'm an employee community pharmacist, and I'd recommend it as a career to my children if I had any.
          As with a lot of topics in Life, you only ever hear from the "whingers", very few happy, contented people ever write, post, or chirp up to say how happy they are or how good things really are!
          The job security and financial stability you mention are for real; Whether or not it's the career for you can only be answered after the "suck-it-and-see" test, I fear!
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
          X