Hi, couple of uni q's..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, couple of uni q's..

hi, im currently studying to get to uni to do pharmacy and after searching the forums I havent been able to find any reference to the hours uni will take up. I realise im gonna be in pretty big debt and id like to work my way through study. the most insight ive had from work is 'its full time' which is neither here nor there!

Also how does the workload change from yrs 1-4?

thanks in advance!

J

Re: Hi, couple of uni q's..

Originally posted by jamie1984 View Post
    hi, im currently studying to get to uni to do pharmacy and after searching the forums I havent been able to find any reference to the hours uni will take up. I realise im gonna be in pretty big debt and id like to work my way through study. the most insight ive had from work is 'its full time' which is neither here nor there!

Also how does the workload change from yrs 1-4?

thanks in advance!

J
    It probably hasn't changed - as a student it was a full timetable with wednesday afternoon off.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Depends a little bit on the Uni and how the course is structured. Some put a big emphasis on coursework.

Before I did degree a pharmacist told me that there is enough Chemistry in the course to equal a Chemistry degree, enough Biology in the course ro equal a biology degree and everything else adds up to at least another half a degree! Have to say I agreed by the end of the course.

I'd expect to be in lectures, labs or seminars for about 24 hours per week and then there's coursework and reading around to do in your own time.

You can still enjoy "the Uni experience" but do expect to have to put a bit more in than some of the other students on less demanding courses.
      Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
        Depends a little bit on the Uni and how the course is structured. Some put a big emphasis on coursework.

Before I did degree a pharmacist told me that there is enough Chemistry in the course to equal a Chemistry degree, enough Biology in the course ro equal a biology degree and everything else adds up to at least another half a degree! Have to say I agreed by the end of the course.

I'd expect to be in lectures, labs or seminars for about 24 hours per week and then there's coursework and reading around to do in your own time.

You can still enjoy "the Uni experience" but do expect to have to put a bit more in than some of the other students on less demanding courses.
        Not sure if the course still involves a lot of lab-work. The advice I took to heart was given to me as a fresher - "never get behind with your lab reports". It might also look like a lot of unrelated subjects at first but suddenly it will click, and you will be able to relate it all together. Things like molecular structure and biological activity, molecular structure and drug metabolism, molecular structure and chemical synthesis, lipophilicity and the rest, all becomes one continuum. That's why the course is demanding. If it clicks early then you are on your way to a 2:1 or 1st.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I graduated in 2005, so fairly recently. We generally had two lab sessions per week - one chemistry and one pharmaceutics, although it did drop down a bit after a while. The timetable was pretty full - in at 9 or 10 every morning, didn't finish till 5 or 6 some days, although there were days we finished at 3 or 4. Wednesday afternoons are free for university sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
            I graduated in 2005, so fairly recently. We generally had two lab sessions per week - one chemistry and one pharmaceutics, although it did drop down a bit after a while. The timetable was pretty full - in at 9 or 10 every morning, didn't finish till 5 or 6 some days, although there were days we finished at 3 or 4. Wednesday afternoons are free for university sports.
            where did you graduate frp,/
            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

No pharmacology, pharmacognosy or dispensing?
              How times change.

Comment

I went to Aston.

Pharmanaut, we generally had one dispensing session per week, but for some reason I didn't count them as labs. We only had a few pharmacology labs over the four years, and pharmacogonosy was mixed in with med. chem.

Comment

I went to Aston.

Pharmanaut, we generally had one dispensing session per week, but for some reason I didn't count them as labs. We only had a few pharmacology labs over the four years, and pharmacogonosy was mixed in with med. chem.
                  Sounds like the emphasis on lab-work has changed. Didn't realise.
                  How times change.

Comment

Working...
                  X