Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studying pharmacy at Bath or Aston

Hi,
    I am going to start my pharmacy course this year. However, I am not sure if I should go for Bath or Aston as I got an unconditional offer from both. I was wondering if anybody could tell me at which of these two universities I would get a better quality of teaching.
    Thanks,

Re: studying pharmacy at Bath or Aston

Bath is a lovely town in a nice part of the world. If you want fun and games, then Aston being near Brum should prove more lively.
    johnep

Comment

Both Aston and Bath are good universities, and will have a high standard of teaching. I did my degree at Aston and we had some fantastic lecturers. In fact I was so impressed that I'm doing a postgrad diploma at Aston despite living in Kent.

IMO, where you choose to go should be based on where you think you will feel the most comfortable and enjoy yourself most. I don't know a huge amount about Bath as a city, but it has quite a middle class reputation. Birmingham is the second largest city in England and is quite diverse. Aston is really close to the city centre, which was definitely an advantage in my eyes.

One thing to bear in mind with Aston is that there will be a fair amount of construction work as they are building new student residences. It is due to finish September 2010, and will increase the number of places available on campus for final year students.

Comment

I am another ex-Aston person.
        I loved it, very friendly University and lots of on-campus accomodation too. I have no idea how Bath compares.

Comment

Welcome to the club, Scamp.

Pharmacy, like anything else, is what you make it. And don't get too hung up about which University.

Both Bath & Aston have excellent reputations. Pick the place you like the look of as first choice, enjoy your time at Uni and pick up a few "extras" to put on your CV.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
            Welcome to the club, Scamp.

Pharmacy, like anything else, is what you make it. And don't get too hung up about which University.

Both Bath & Aston have excellent reputations. Pick the place you like the look of as first choice, enjoy your time at Uni and pick up a few "extras" to put on your CV.

Best of luck.
            Do things that indicate that you are self-motivated and are a bit of a leader.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
              Both Aston and Bath are good universities, and will have a high standard of teaching. I did my degree at Aston and we had some fantastic lecturers. In fact I was so impressed that I'm doing a postgrad diploma at Aston despite living in Kent.

IMO, where you choose to go should be based on where you think you will feel the most comfortable and enjoy yourself most. I don't know a huge amount about Bath as a city, but it has quite a middle class reputation. Birmingham is the second largest city in England and is quite diverse. Aston is really close to the city centre, which was definitely an advantage in my eyes.

One thing to bear in mind with Aston is that there will be a fair amount of construction work as they are building new student residences. It is due to finish September 2010, and will increase the number of places available on campus for final year students.

Are they knocking the towers down?
              The spirit of the time hath taught me speed- Wm Shakespeare- "King John"

Comment

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me - they are out of the 60's and the rooms are a bit on the small side. Good fun to live in though, unless you're on floor 20.

here's the email that was sent out to staff and students:

Sent on behalf of Mr Garry East, Director of Estates

Commencement of work
                Aston University Residences Project

Brief No 1 2nd January 2008

On 12 December 2007, the University Council gave its formal approval for the
                commencement of work on Phase 1 of Aston's new student Residences.

This is part of a £200 million development which will transform the Aston Campus
                over the next few years. Phase 1 will see the construction of 1,300 rooms, all with
                en-suite facilities. This will be a tremendous improvement in the quality of life on
                the campus and will enable us to continue to offer all first year and overseas
                students on-site accommodation. It will also increase the number of rooms available
                to our final year students.

The Phase 1 build is expected to take 110 weeks, beginning in May 2008 and will be
                complete for the Autumn term 2010.

A building development of this size will inevitably cause inconvenience. We promise
                to do everything possible to minimise any disruption to you and your visitors on
                campus. The long-term results will certainly be worthwhile. Many students will
                have left by the time the new residences are complete and will not personally
                benefit. To them we especially ask: bear with us and think of the benefits for the
                next students. The benefits you have now resulted from investments made (and
                disruption) in earlier years.

You will begin to see changes on campus from early January 2008. The site is being
                prepared so we can keep to that essential deadline of the new academic year in 2010.
                These early works will be concentrated in the area around Woodcock Street and
                Coleshill Street.

CHANGES TO CAR PARKING ON CAMPUS

Car Park 9 will be closed from 14 January 2008 as the contractors move onto site.
                Staff will no longer be able to park their vehicles in Car Park 9 from this date.
                Car Park 6 will remain open as usual.

Work will start to create a new entrance to the University on Jennens Road in late
                January. This work is expected to last until the end of March. It is also expected
                that the contractors will use the old nursery building as a base during this time.
                The old nursery will soon be pulled down.

When Car Park 9 closes, the University will lose 130 of its current car parking
                spaces. The replacement car park (to be built underneath the new sports pitch) will
                be available at the end of the Phase 1 works.

Wherever possible, please use public transport for your journey to work from the New
                Year to minimise the demand for car parking spaces on campus. All staff entitled to
                the new car parking permit should now have been issued with one. These have been
                allocated on a first come first served basis. Having a permit to park does not
                guarantee a space on any particular day.

VISITOR CAR PARKING ON CAMPUS

Wherever possible, please direct your visitors to use the two adjacent public car
                parks at Faraday Wharf and Millennium Point. These are a five minute walk from the
                University, and details are on the University website.

Aston Security staff will still endeavour to meet requests for on-site parking, as
                long as they are booked in advance. Spaces are limited.

UNIVERSITY SPORTS PITCH

The current University sports pitch will be taken out of use and the land handed
                over to contractors on 31st March 2008. The area of land around the sports pitch
                will start to be redeveloped between March and May 2008. This will be the
                contractors work and stores area.

The University is currently investigating a site for a temporary sports pitch and
                changing facilities on land behind the Sacks of Potatoes pub. The Estates Department
                is endeavouring to minimise the time between the closure of the existing pitch and
                the opening of these new temporary facilities. This is subject to the constraints
                of planning permission.

If you have any questions, or would like further information about any of the points
                in this email, please contact:

Ian Harrison, Head of Security, at
                [email protected]<mailto:[email protected] .ac.uk> for car parking inquiries
                and Garry East, Director of Estates, at
                [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> for inquiries about the commencement
                of building works.

We will bring you regular updates about the Residences Project building works
                throughout the year.

Comment

thank you guys for your advice. do you know if Aston have connection with pharmaceutical industry? and if they help student to get placement or students have to organize it by themselves?

Comment

I went to Bath and loved it, so Im biased, but agreed, both Bath and Aston have excellent reputations.

I did the the J&J Patient Counselling competition up at Aston, and found the whole place a bit scary - but then im not a lover of big cities. Bath was just right for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chemistry View Post
                      thank you guys for your advice. do you know if Aston have connection with pharmaceutical industry? and if they help student to get placement or students have to organize it by themselves?
                      I don't know about links to the industry. I think the pharmaceutical companies all have their different summer programmes for students which you can apply to whichever uni you are from. I can tell you though that as an Aston student, I did get an offer to do a split industry/hospital pre reg with Bristol Myers Squibbs. So a step onto the Industry is not impossible at Aston.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
                        I don't know about links to the industry. I think the pharmaceutical companies all have their different summer programmes for students which you can apply to whichever uni you are from. I can tell you though that as an Aston student, I did get an offer to do a split industry/hospital pre reg with Bristol Myers Squibbs. So a step onto the Industry is not impossible at Aston.
                        Come on Abu, you must remember some of the lecturers at Aston. Dr Batchelor was ex industry and had lots of contact details, Dr Roe (?sp - that really boring guy we had in 2nd or third yr in NG09 for formulation stuff and the most boring speaker in the world) was employed in industry. I'd imagine Dr Perrie also has industry links.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                          Come on Abu, you must remember some of the lecturers at Aston. Dr Batchelor was ex industry and had lots of contact details, Dr Roe (?sp - that really boring guy we had in 2nd or third yr in NG09 for formulation stuff and the most boring speaker in the world) was employed in industry. I'd imagine Dr Perrie also has industry links.
                          Quite true actually. In fact, I actually applied for my industry place due to Dr Conway. When I was interviewed, both the interviewers were Aston graduates as well, so a fair chunk of time spent talking about changes since their times. I'm convinced I was offered the job largely because I was the only Aston student to apply.

Comment

Working...
                          X