Should I study pharmacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I study pharmacy?

Six months ago I was totally sure that this is the right profession for me.Until I read some things writen by pharmacists,themselves-that it is a boring job,that you can be attacked, that the pay is too low for what you are doing,cos comming to think to it it is a responsible job,isn't it? If there is anyone who thinks things are different not alike my point of view I wpould be happy to hear from you.
    If I am not going to study pharmacy then what ? I am in such a trouble please help !
    Last edited by Vesi; 27, January 2008, 03:13 PM.

Re: Should I study pharmacy?

Vesi.

I've been on the Register for very many years, and, as the saying goes, twas ever thus. Moaning is endemic. Someone is always doing it

However, it's given me a most interesting time and I don't regret it. If you like the idea, do it. And the options are much, much wider than they used to be.

And the best of luck.

Comment

Pharmacy was originally suggested to me by a careers adviser at age 16.
      It hastaken me all over the world and enabled me to have a comfortable and interesting retirement as still working at age 73.

johnep

Comment

Hi Jonhep,

how did you get all over the world? When I was a student I planned on taking a few years to travel the world but the only way to do it these days seems to be to do a student exchange and I never had the money for an airfare, although I did host a couple of Spannish students on an ISPF exchange for a month or so, I think they taught me a lot about life.

These days pharmacy is a difficult and expensive skill to transfer, unless you train in Europe I suppose

paul08
        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
          Hi Jonhep,

how did you get all over the world? When I was a student I planned on taking a few years to travel the world but the only way to do it these days seems to be to do a student exchange and I never had the money for an airfare, although I did host a couple of Spannish students on an ISPF exchange for a month or so, I think they taught me a lot about life.

These days pharmacy is a difficult and expensive skill to transfer, unless you train in Europe I suppose

paul08
          Once upon a time a Prime Minister from Huddersfield decided that he could protect the pound by limiting the amount of money you could take out of the country to £50. A generation were amazed to discover that you could actually get out of the country for only £50.
          Several changes in government later I met a couple half way up the Amazon who were still traveling on the original £50. They had taken a job in small a local museum translating the notices on the exhibits into English. I had a look around the museum - I've no idea what the Portuguese notices said but the English notice by a small stick shaped object said "Small stick shaped object"
          When our boat arrived at the next town they negotiated the price of a hotel room down from 2p - I went to stay at the posh hotel for 50p.

Once I reached Leticia I found out that my flight out had been cancelled that week and that I couldn't exchange my remaining travellers check.
          A fellow traveller from Peru that I'd met on the boat arranged for me to stay on a floating house in the male quarters. Courtesy of a very generous lady called Elizabeth - She earned her living from breeding fighting cocks.
          Another traveller - Eustace - I'd met on the boat - he was staying at the local whore house - and was very happy with the new girl - a 12 year old Brazilian " with not too many hairs" introduced me to some of the characters in Leticia.
          They all had great stories to tell - Paul was a baker and part time farmer - he made some great cakes from home grown illicit ingredients. Anyway he'd spent a couple of years in Leticia growing a rather valuable crop and had taken the boat down to Belem in order to sell the crop and make a big profit
          Unfortunately he'd tripped off the gangplank while descending from the boat and his harvest floated away on the current - so he'd returned to try again.

Which is all just a long way of saying that if you want to travel - just put your boots on and go.

Jeff

Comment

In my teens a car was an impossible dream and even a motorbike was too expensive. Got a couple of army surplus radio bags and made paniers out of them for attachment to my bike. Had a couple of YHA holidays where cost of stay was 10p and we even cooked our own food to save money. Two weeks holiday cost £13 in total.

I was a bit shocked to meet up with a geordie who said we made hard work of it in the rain. he just got lifts in cars and travelled in style.

My extensive travels were in my role as a marketing manager for a galenical company - Bush Boake Allen and later as export manager for Roche vitamins and then pharmaceuticals. In those days we exported large part of production. Now the factories are closed and most imported from low labour cost countries.

We rarely had a mcs situation. We did run out of liquorish root in the middle of a flu epidemic in the early 70s. Told the govnmt and we substituted liquorish block juice. Liquorish Liquid extract was main ingredient of cough mixtures which were all swept away by the 'limited list' in 1984.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              .... by the 'limited list' in 1984.

johnep
              The limited list doesn't keep up with 'revolving OTC product names'.
              The list in the tariff has to be the exact product name, so all you need to do is call it something slightly different each time it catches up with you.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
              X