Remembering side-effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering side-effects

Is there any easy way of memorising side-effects and remembering them? I only want to memorise the main vital ones not all of them in the BNF, but am having trouble remembering the main 3 or so for each drug. Would appreciate some help. Thanks

Re: Remembering side-effects

Originally posted by mysteryman View Post
    Is there any easy way of memorising side-effects and remembering them? I only want to memorise the main vital ones not all of them in the BNF, but am having trouble remembering the main 3 or so for each drug. Would appreciate some help. Thanks
    When I did my degree, as I recall, we talked about augmented and bizarre side effects. The bizarre are hard to remember, but the obviously drug caused ones are easy. Just think of the pharmacology of the drug and you'll soon remember dry mouth, blurred vision, etc etc etc
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Many thanks, i suppose it just comes down to understanding what the effect the drug has. As a pharmacist are you required to remember all side-effects for example pre-reg exams? I've got a few years for that yet but just thought i'd ask.

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryman View Post
        As a pharmacist are you required to remember all side-effects for example pre-reg exams? I've got a few years for that yet but just thought i'd ask.
        I don't think you'll be expected to know everything - thats why pre-reg has an open book exam, so that you can show you know where to look for information that you can't recall.

I certainly can't remember all side effects but passed last year. We had a few questions on the closed book which required knowledge of more common side effects of common drugs, eg dry cough with ACE inhibitors, headache with nitrates...we also had "diarrhoea may be caused by whihc of following drugs: Amitriptyline, ferrous sulphate, lansoprazole?"

Just try your best and learn what you can. When you're studying the BNF in pre-reg, a lot of the side effects do seem pretty logical.

Comment

Working...
        X