Choosing the correct university

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing the correct university

Hello I am Irish and have applied through UCAS to study pharmacy.I have applied to Kent,Nottingham,RGU,Brighton and strathclyde.Kent and RGU have given me the condition of obtaining a 2:2 grade this year in 4th year honours in chemistry and the others a 2:1.

Basically i dont know which uni to pick.I know it should be decided on a practical means such as cost of living,reputation of the uni,transport etc...

Can any one help? What would ye suggest i take?

I have heard the fees may be paid in scotland if you are an EU citizen not from the UK who wants to study in scotland.

Please help.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Choosing the correct university

You want to do pharmacy.? ( must be a glutton for punishment..? )

May God have mercy upon your soul.

RG in Aberdeen has an excellent pharmacy department with a good reputation.

Comment

Nottingham is good too. Choose one that isn't a former poly.

Comment

Forget about reputations and whether or not they're old polys. Just make sure the one you go to is already accredited. Go and visit the cities and see what you like. You'll be spending at least four years there so what's the point going to a uni with a good reputation in a city you hate. Nobody cares about where you got your degree from anyway.

Comment

kent do pharmacy?
          3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by Tomaseen View Post
            Can any one help? What would ye suggest i take?
            Check out the male:female ratio at the Universities, then go to the one that offers the best prospects of finding a partner that can support you in the manner that you'd like to become accustomed to.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              Check out the male:female ratio at the Universities, then go to the one that offers the best prospects of finding a partner that can support you in the manner that you'd like to become accustomed to.

Jeff
              Great answer, that is exactly what would sway me as well :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pharout View Post
                Great answer, that is exactly what would sway me as well :-)
                Brighton might be the exception to that formula.

Comment

Hey so i have opted for scotland and was just wondering which uni. is better Strathclyde (glasgow) or RGU (aberdeen)???

I have until the 5th og may to decide but my dads on my back so have not had much time to mull it over.I am doing my 4th year project so i am really limited.

Any suggestions Strathclyde or aberdeen????

Comment

Aberdeen is a great place. went there for hol last year. Usually better weather on east coast, access to Grampians for winter sports.

strathclyde also good. mountains not too far away. However, why leave Ireland. I used to go there frequently in the 70s and 80s and loved it. Particularly Cork.
                    johnep

Comment

I can highly recommended RGU, apart from the generally sunnier weather, the lecturers and students are great, also lots of social activity. However accommodation can be a problem so arrange it early. There is a strong research focus (even in the OSPAP diploma). I don't really know much about the undergraduate program but you can see details on their website.

RGU also makes use of e-learning which can be helpful in getting through material and accessing tutors.

Last year I was working under two pharmacists one trained at Strathclyde and one at RGU and they both highly recommended their universities, but Strathclyde does not do the OSPAP so I chose RGU.

RGU also claim to organise the more placements than any other UK university, this is great for experience and can help with getting a pre-reg place down the line. I was quite disappointed though because this is much less than my final year of my B.Pharm where we spent two mornings a week on placement or clinical ward rounds. This is obviously not how things are done in the UK, although I suppose my first school of pharmacy was in the faculty of Medicine.

Good luck choosing

Paul08
                      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                      (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Well i don't especially want to leave Ireland.The only way i can do pharmacy is by studying it in the UK as i didnt get enough leaving cert points to do it in Ireland.Here it is very competitive you have to get 540 plus points out of 600 which means you basically have to get an A in all 6 subjects.

I am just finishin 4th year chemistry in Galway,and there is only 1 university which considers any other degree otherwise you must go through the l.c. route.

So, frustratingly i had to do chemistry for 4 years to be able to apply.Now strathclyde have given me a 2:1 and aberdeen a 2:2 conditional offer on my final exams.

Yea Cork is nice was there last summer on an work placement in Glaxosmithkline.Good thing the accent isn't contagious though.

Am happy enough to leave,think i am ready to fly the coop.Will be turnin 21 in september so i have youth on my side.Just have to decide between aberdeen or strathclyde??

Comment

Thanks Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
                            I can highly recommended RGU, apart from the generally sunnier weather, the lecturers and students are great, also lots of social activity. However accommodation can be a problem so arrange it early. There is a strong research focus (even in the OSPAP diploma). I don't really know much about the undergraduate program but you can see details on their website.

RGU also makes use of e-learning which can be helpful in getting through material and accessing tutors.

Last year I was working under two pharmacists one trained at Strathclyde and one at RGU and they both highly recommended their universities, but Strathclyde does not do the OSPAP so I chose RGU.

RGU also claim to organise the more placements than any other UK university, this is great for experience and can help with getting a pre-reg place down the line. I was quite disappointed though because this is much less than my final year of my B.Pharm where we spent two mornings a week on placement or clinical ward rounds. This is obviously not how things are done in the UK, although I suppose my first school of pharmacy was in the faculty of Medicine.

Good luck choosing

Paul08
                            where have you done your degree?
                            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Hi Giggsy,

I trained in Zimbabwe a few years ago.
                              Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                              (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Working...
                              X