Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• useless rubbish..

please delete
    Last edited by Asterix; 24, August 2008, 03:43 PM.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: useless rubbish..

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
    I am doing first year of pharmacy and have just finished my first semster. Oh my god, do we not get learnt some rubbish. I am totally fed up of the maths content, the lecturers inability to teach (simply stick up bullet points on lectures) and my head is hurting.

We are getting irrevelant stuff if you ask me, I dont really understand where ph and buffers comes into pharmacy or mass spectroscopy
    Giggsy, there is a method to the madness. It will most likely come into play in pharmaceutics/pharmaceutical lab work/biochemistry (e.g. acid-base balance such as metabolic/respiratory acidosis or alkalosis). Math, obviously in calculations. As with every course, you must learn the theory behind what you do. Will you actually use it? Well, that's a different story. It's usually the same with registration exams. Someone on this forum asked a question about a dilution factor, great trivia and good exam question, but useless in real world. You will most likely learn the most from experiential training when you get it vs. didactic lectures. Chances are you will forget most of this once you pass your tests.

Comment

Goodness gracious, you should have covered pH and buffers in A level. No wonder four years now required. I did ph etc early in 6th form course.

Very important for injections, especially depot insulin.
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
        I am doing first year of pharmacy and have just finished my first semster. Oh my god, do we not get learnt some rubbish. I am totally fed up of the maths content, the lecturers inability to teach (simply stick up bullet points on lectures) and my head is hurting.
        Lectures don't teach - university isn't school. They just tell you about what you're supposed to go away and learn.
        Maths - people die (regularly) from wrong dilutions
        Your hurting head is quite natural - it's called a hangover (Unless you really haven't found out what university is about)

We are getting irrevelant stuff if you ask me,
        1st year tends to be a rehash of A levels to make sure that everyone starts from the same base.

I dont really understand where ph and buffers comes into pharmacy
        stability of the end product
        or mass spectroscopy
        Analysis/purity/development of products - there's no such thing as a "community pharmacy" degree.

Jeff

Comment

Yeah the maths in first year made my head hurt too. The thing with first year is we are taught all this stuff without being told how it will be relevant and we are simply expected to remember it all. But it will come together a lot more later on when you learn more about drugs and their effects on the body.

Comment

So you think maths is rubbish, eh?
            In my 2nd year Pharmacy degree in Belgium, I was made to learn to identify mushrooms and toadstools, because customers in the autumn would go harvesting them in the woods & fields and bring them in to the pharmacy and have the phcist tell them which ones were safe to eat and which ones weren't...
            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

no I am not very good at maths, i didnt do it at a level maths and they keep giving us intergration etc which I just cannot do. Its been 4 years since I did maths every week in gcse.
              3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Giggsy can you get someone to give you a one-off session on all the essential maths that you need? I only did maths up to GCSE level too and started pharmacy as a mature student so any maths I knew had totally left me by the time I started. I don't go to the same uni as you so the maths content might be different but it was the logs that got me. I asked someone to go over the parts I couldn't get my head around with me and after a bit of practice I was ok. After first year it's unlikely you will use anywhere near as much maths as you are using now.
                Last edited by snowy; 11, December 2007, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowy View Post
                  Giggsy can you get someone to give you a one-off session on all the essential maths that you need? I only did maths up to GCSE level too and started pharmacy as a mature student so any maths I knew had totally left me by the time I started. I don't go to the same uni as you so the maths content might be different but it was the logs that got me. I asked someone to go over the parts I couldn't get my head around with me and after a bit of practice I was ok. After first year it's unlikely you will use anywhere near as much maths as you are using now.
                  Integration and differentiation baffle me and I'm good with equations.
                  We had to do a maths test on them so I wrote a step-by-step approach and practiced it. It helped me through the test, and didn't have to re-take.

Have you had a look around the internet for a 'dummy's guide' (no sleight intended) - very often the key to understanding it is finding and explanation that you get into the groove with.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

You don't understand the importance of pH to pharmacy?

So how do you know if a medicine should taken in a empty stomach or full stomach, or avoid antacids?! It's all about the pH. The pH in which the coating of the tablets dissolve, or the pH where the own drug dissolves! By the way, if a drug isn't dissolved, it can't be absorbed!

How do you think the enteric coating of tablets works? It's the pH!

Comment

Point well taken, however sometimes meds are taken on a full stomach to avoid GI side effects and antacids are avoided with meds that they may chelate with to decrease their absorption. I make up that most pharmacists remember this by drug vs. what the pH is relative to the drug.

Comment

I didn't either, until after 11 years of being a regular pharmacist I saw the light and went into industry. Suddenly, the relevancy of all the stuff I hated about my undergraduate training came sharply into focus.
                        Interestingly, I deal a lot of the time with dental scientists and the relationship between pH and buffering foxes a lot of them - and they have to understand enamel erosion, and this is nigh impossible if you don't know basic physical chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by silnarnin View Post
                          You don't understand the importance of pH to pharmacy?

So how do you know if a medicine should taken in a empty stomach or full stomach, or avoid antacids?! It's all about the pH. The pH in which the coating of the tablets dissolve, or the pH where the own drug dissolves! By the way, if a drug isn't dissolved, it can't be absorbed!

How do you think the enteric coating of tablets works? It's the pH!
                          Ketoconazole + Omeprazole.
                          pH dependant drug interaction If I remember correctly.
                          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by pharout View Post
                            Point well taken, however sometimes meds are taken on a full stomach to avoid GI side effects and antacids are avoided with meds that they may chelate with to decrease their absorption. I make up that most pharmacists remember this by drug vs. what the pH is relative to the drug.

Tetracycline /Oxytetracycline chelates with milk, and the chelated product gets deposited in bones/teeth etc undergarduate pharmacology, but useful when giving advise to patients particularly growing children!

Knowledge is power !..... "useless rubibish" is always stored in your hind brain when you don't need it, but one day you might need it and all you need to do is thiiiiiiiiinnnnnkkkk deeply and ....voila!

Anyone enjoyed stereochemistry at Uni?
                            Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
                              Tetracycline /Oxytetracycline chelates with milk, and the chelated product gets deposited in bones/teeth etc undergarduate pharmacology, but useful when giving advise to patients particularly growing children!

Knowledge is power !..... "useless rubibish" is always stored in your hind brain when you don't need it, but one day you might need it and all you need to do is thiiiiiiiiinnnnnkkkk deeply and ....voila!

Anyone enjoyed stereochemistry at Uni?
                              We used to have a patient with tetracycline teeth. They used to get free veneers.
                              Anyway, all this stuff comes in handy when watching CSI. You can solve it half way through, so you don't have to watch it all.
                              How times change.

Comment

Working...
                              X