Am I too old too study pharmacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too old too study pharmacy?

Hi everyone, if someone could advise me, am a double graduate from a life science background. My first degree was a BSc in Pharmecutical Management and then I decided to do a masters degree in Biomedical sciences in drug delivery. Both courses were strongly linked with pharmacy and I found myself sharing many modules with pharmcy students throughout. Currently am at the stage of looking for jobs and have realised its so difficult without experience. Have been offered a PhD but truth be told am thinking of doing pharmacy now due to the job stability as well as satisfaction the role of a pharmacist offers. However I am 23 now and would be coming to 24 if starting pharmacy next year. Am worried that I'm going to be too old so real scared about doing it. Have already got unconditional offers for the course. Can anyone tell me the time period that someone is likely to find a job as a pharmacist soon as they graduate and am I too old?
    Last edited by Robiul; 4, December 2007, 05:56 PM.

Re: Advice?

Originally posted by Robiul View Post
    Hi everyone, if someone could advise me, am a double graduate from a life science background. My first degree was a BSc in Pharmecutical Management and then I decided to do a masters degree in Biomedical sciences in drug delivery. Both courses were strongly linked with pharmacy and I found myself sharing many modules with pharmcy students throughout. Currently am at the stage of looking for jobs and have realised its so difficult without experience. Have been offered a PhD but truth be told am thinking of doing pharmacy now due to the job stability as well as satisfaction the role of a pharmacist offers. However I am 23 now and would be coming to 24 if starting pharmacy next year. Am worried that I'm going to be too old so real scared about doing it. Have already got unconditional offers for the course. Can anyone tell me the time period that someone is likely to find a job as a pharmacist soon as they graduate and am I too old?
    The time period depends on your aggressiveness in terms of your job search. You could potentially make contacts before you graduate. In terms of your age, you must be kidding!!! I was a non-traditional student in the U.S. and didn't even start pharmacy school until I was 27. Here it takes 6 years minimum to complete a PharmD degree and most often people have bachelor's degrees prior to even applying since it is so competitive. Your age is of no concern, do not worry, you will still have 40 years to slave away. It is important to make sure your decision is correct early on and you are satisfied with your choice.

Comment

Re: Am I too old too study pharmacy?

Hi Robiul, I definately wouldn't let the 'mature' starting age put you off if pharmacy is really want you want to do. I'm a mature student myself and turned 25 during first year. Plus I'm not the only mature one on my course with our ages spanning 22 to about 40 when we started.

I admit though that it is very hard doing an undergraduate again with people much younger than me, but that said I have met some very good friends here. Also it can be hard to stay motivated and you need to ask yourself if you can honestly go through another 4 years of intense study. I know I can't wait to finish already!

When Pharout said
      Your age is of no concern, do not worry, you will still have 40 years to slave away. It is important to make sure your decision is correct early on and you are satisfied with your choice.
      I think he hit the nail on the head. Opt for pharmacy only if you truly believe you will enjoy being a pharmacist and have done sufficient work experience, spoken to enough pharmacists etc to confirm this. Do not opt for it mainly for the job security because in my opinion that would be a mistake. Find out as much about the downsides as well as the upsides.

If after all that you believe pharmacy is for you then definately go for it At the moment it is pretty easy to find employment after qualifying, though I'm not too sure how things will be in several years time as there are some changes instore for the profession and really I don't have the experience to understand them fully but there are some interesting threads in the General Pharmacy Topics forum with pharmacists voicing their opinions. Anyway my tip would be to study in a city/town you believe you will enjoy living in, offers what you want, and where you can establish a happy life outside of uni. I made my UCAS application late so didn't have much choice and where I have ended up is not ideal for me. It does its job but I can't wait to leave!

Comment

Am worried that I'm going to be too old so real scared about doing it.
        You're not too old
        Have already got unconditional offers for the course.
        well done
        Can anyone tell me the time period that someone is likely to find a job as a pharmacist soon as they graduate and am I too old?
        About 30 seconds.

I started before I received my registration certificate on the basis that it was on the way. When it did arrive it was dated the day after I'd started.

Jeff

Comment

While neither of my sons are pharmacists, both went to Uni as mature students, (that's been at work for at least 5 years) both had no social problems and both made friendships which have lasted for many years.

As far as getting a job afterwards is concerned, as Jeff says you'll have no problem. Some employers might well see your background as an asset!

Comment

Hey people thanks for the advice, have pretty much made my mind up that I am going back, just needed that reinforcement. Here we go then, another four years it is. Wish me luck!

Comment

My partner started course at age 29, after leaving school originally at 16. Now in 3rd year and does not regret it.

Go for it - maturity and fact that you've already done 2 degrees will make it so much easier for you; and make you appreciate the course and final prospects so much more.
              Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                Go for it - maturity and fact that you've already done 2 degrees will make it so much easier for you; and make you appreciate the course and final prospects so much more.
                Very true. As much as I vent certain worries on these boards, I'd have to say that having certain experiences and knowledge behind me makes me appreciate certain things a lot more and I think more about where I want to head afterwards and how to get there.

Comment

Hey Snowy, what uni are you at. The universities I already have unconditional offers for are Keele, De Montford, Bradford. Also have interview in Jan at Wolverhampton. Aston never gave me the offer was so annoying, therefore the best choice for me would be Wolverhampton. Also, looking for a job before I start next year is so frustrating, scientific vacancies require so much experience whilst smaller jobs feel that academically I'm too overqualified so they start to question my commitment. Seriously such a downer. Do people reckon I should just get some voluntary work experience in a pharmacy? If so, whats the process just go drop a cv to them?

Comment

Do people reckon I should just get some voluntary work experience in a pharmacy? If so, whats the process just go drop a cv to them?
                    Contact me if you want to find somewhere in Bradford - and I'll see what I can turn up.

Jeff

Comment

If only it were Bradford, am based in Birmingham you see. Chose Bradford as an insurance due to studying there before. If anyone could notify me on any places where I can get some voluntary work experience around Birmingham would be very grateful. Thank you

Comment

Walk along the high st and call in at every chemist. (not between 11am and 12). Just say could you help out for free on a Saturday or for a week during hols. Most will have had work experience school students and you should be OK. If too shy to call in, then write.
                        johnep

Comment

Hey Snowy, what uni are you at. The universities I already have unconditional offers for are Keele, De Montford, Bradford. Also have interview in Jan at Wolverhampton. Aston never gave me the offer was so annoying, therefore the best choice for me would be Wolverhampton. Also, looking for a job before I start next year is so frustrating, scientific vacancies require so much experience whilst smaller jobs feel that academically I'm too overqualified so they start to question my commitment. Seriously such a downer. Do people reckon I should just get some voluntary work experience in a pharmacy? If so, whats the process just go drop a cv to them?
                          I'm at Bath Robiul. I'd drop into pharmacies when they're quiet and ask if you can do a few days workshadowing and helping out for them. I did that before starting the degree and didn't have any problems at all really.

Comment

Working...
                          X