Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with interview

hi,
    I have an interview on the 5th of Dec at the SOP london, I have no idea of what they might ask. can you help if you know of any interview questions please. will be greatly appreciated

Re: help with interview

You can always say have met SOP graduates through this forum. I graduated 2;1 in 1958.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      You can always say have met SOP graduates through this forum. I graduated 2;1 in 1958.
      johnep
      Talk about grapefruit and CYP3A4.
      That should show that your interested.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Standard questions are usually 'why do you want to be a pharmacist', 'why apply to SOP'
        'have you worked in a pharmacy', 'do you have any relations or friends who are pharmacists'

I cannot remember much of my interview with Prof Berry in 1952. but at the time I had been working as a saturday boy in btc for a couple of years. Actually did not apply anywhere until got County Major Scholarship in 1952 as had in my innocence thought btc would make all arrangements. SOP had no vacancies at that late time so I did my 2 year apprenticeship first with btc
        and entered SOP in 1954. The apprenticeship was my year(s) off from study. No gap years gallivanting round the world in those days.

I did not go abroad until I was 25.
        Had I got my time again, probably gone to Bath or Aberdeen to get away from home. travelling up to London every day meant I missed out on uni life.

johnep

Comment

Thanks johnep, i will mention that i have met one of their former students on this forum, thanks for the possible interview questions too.

I have also applied for medicine, and have been invited for one interview so far. i am applying as a graduate (pharmaceutical science). pharmacy was meant to be my insurence, but later thought would be ideal for me, as i am still bringing up a family (but u guys have scared me alot!).

I have done a search on the effects of grape fruite on cyp and i found some amazing stuff, so thanks Pharmanaut i will not have grapefruit juice with drugs (medicine)

can anyone tell me about the pharmacy course at SOP london I read about it but would love to hear from those who have experienced it already... I love the idea of having two exams a year (Feb and Jun) I hate having it all at once

Comment

Probably completely different now, one difference is that they did assume we were literate and numerate. I always thought the extra year was for remedial work necessary because of the defects in 'modern' education.

I did no real work for the first term just to see where I was, passed every subject and from then on worked hard. major test was at end of year two (part 1) and you had to get this to go on to final (third) year. I fluffed pharmaceutics and was immediately in trouble as grant cut off. My father had to pay £50 (lot of money in those days). To help out, I took the Ph.C. at christmas, passed and was a pharmacist. Used to put up my cert during dispensing lessons. 18 months later I took B.Phm and got a 2:1 in Chemistry and Engineering.

Then of, course I was due for two years national service, but as it was all coming to an end I decided to get deferment until I was 26 by teaching chemistry and working as a locum at weekends and in holidays.

Never earnt a proper wage until I was 26 and therefore owe my parents a debt of gratitude for keeping me.

You have it much easier now.
            johnep

Comment

hi,
              Thanks for your help guys especially johnep, for enlightening us with your life story, I guess everythibg is different now (dont know if good or bad different), no more national service .

just wanted to let u know my interview at the SOP went really well that they gave me an unconditional offer. it was nothing to worry about in the first place.

maybe in ten years time i will be complaining about my job as a pharmacist too, like you lot! I really hope not

Comment

Originally posted by aisha View Post
                hi,
                Thanks for your help guys especially johnep, for enlightening us with your life story, I guess everythibg is different now (dont know if good or bad different), no more national service .

just wanted to let u know my interview at the SOP went really well that they gave me an unconditional offer. it was nothing to worry about in the first place.

maybe in ten years time i will be complaining about my job as a pharmacist too, like you lot! I really hope not

Goodonya mate!
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

hey I also had an interview on the 5th but didnt go i had 2 mock maths tests on that day and my teacher insisted that i should postpone it *sigh* now i regret it and wish i had it over and done with.i was just wondering what the interview was like and what kind of questions did they ask btw congratulations on the offer!...i just really dont know what to expect and im so worried that im going to mess up...i also applied to kings and no reply yet i did get 3 condition offers from university of brighton,kingston and medway school of pharmacy but my heart is set on LSOP or kings since both are in london....Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by munkii View Post
                    hey I also had an interview on the 5th but didnt go i had 2 mock maths tests on that day and my teacher insisted that i should postpone it *sigh* now i regret it and wish i had it over and done with.i was just wondering what the interview was like and what kind of questions did they ask btw congratulations on the offer!...i just really dont know what to expect and im so worried that im going to mess up...i also applied to kings and no reply yet i did get 3 condition offers from university of brighton,kingston and medway school of pharmacy but my heart is set on LSOP or kings since both are in london....Thank you
                    Hi, sorry for the late reply. Since I am a graduate I might have had different questions to school leavers. Having said that everyone I spoke to thought that, the interviewers were really friendly and the whole process took place in an informal kind of setting. I was not asked any questions; we just talked about my personal statement. Some were asked why pharmacy? Why sop? But it was done as they were speaking about other things. Someone was asked how they got there, and they talked about the weather etc.
                    Don’t worry at all; they said that once you get an invite you have an 80% chance of being accepted.
                    I wish you all the best.

Comment

I too have an interview at SOP, and the only area I've left uncovered are drugs. Could anyone give me a list 3 drugs which could be discussed - and what they do? I would look some up but I have no idea where to start and don't want them to be too complicated or too simple (paracetamol etc).

EDIT: Better yet, have any drugs been on the news/ in pharmacy journals recently?
                      Last edited by #1_Wasteman; 10, March 2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

SSRIs on TV etc last week. Would be part of discussion on role of 5HT Serotonin in controlling mood. Then could contrast with Thyroxine which controls metabolic rate.

Antidepressant history is fascinating. Was observed that TB pts on isoniazid showed mood elevation. Iproniazid was developed by Roche in hope could be patented unlike isoniazid (Rimifon). Marsilid not much good as tuberculostatic but was beginning of MAOIs. Later Phenelzine (Parnate) became market leader until problems with natural foods containing tryptophan which is precursor of 5HT. Examples being strong cheeses, marmite, broad beans and chocolate. Tryptophan itself was marketed as an antidepressant but superceded by tricyclics such as imipramine and amitryptyline.

all the best,
                        johnep

Comment

Thanks for that

Did some extra research on SSRIs (on wiki) and my preparation is now well and truly complete. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry name for phenelzine is Nardil. Kept in fridge. Only MAOI still used.
                            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by #1_Wasteman View Post
                              Thanks for that

Did some extra research on SSRIs (on wiki) and my preparation is now well and truly complete. Thanks again.
                              Hope your interviewer is reading this - they ought to be impressed at the attitude.
                              A tiny word of warnng - don't think that you can go in and lecture your interviewers on SSRI's - they'll probably know more than you about them.
                              Secondly - Wiki isn't the most reliable source of scientific information.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X