Help me with my homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my homework

If a doctor requests an emergency supply for a patient because he has left his prescription pad at home does the patient have to pay as a private prescription?

As far as I can tell the pharmacist would charge the patent or would it be acceptable not to charge until the prescription arrives and thern sotrt out the pasperwork?
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    (T. Pratchett)

Re: Help me with my homework

The MEP says:
    " Requests for emergency supplies can be made by either a patient or a prescriber. "
    and
    "An emergency supply is a private transaction for which pharmacists may charge. The amount charged is at the pharmacist’s discretion and company procedures may be in place for this."
    So, as usual, the RPSGB takes its familiar "sitting on the fence" position...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
      If a doctor requests an emergency supply for a patient because he has left his prescription pad at home does the patient have to pay as a private prescription?

As far as I can tell the pharmacist would charge the patent or would it be acceptable not to charge until the prescription arrives and thern sotrt out the pasperwork?
      It's a matter of discretion.
      However do you ever want to see another script from that doctor or patient?
      Are you trying to build relationships or break them?
      What's the company policy?
      And if you decide not to charge do find out the reason for exemption so that you know what to tick on the back.
      I wouldn't dream of charging the patient as long as a script had been promised by the GP.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Zoggite and Jeff,

I thought I may have missed something in the MEP as you say Zoggite it is very vague.

But if you do it as a private prescription price may be much less than an NHS charge so how much would you charge private prescription charge or NHS charge.

The example in the actual question is amoxycillin which could be less than £2 so would you charge £6.85?

p2008
        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Thanks Zoggite and Jeff,

I thought I may have missed something in the MEP as you say Zoggite it is very vague.

But if you do it as a private prescription price may be much less than an NHS charge so how much would you charge private prescription charge or NHS charge.

The example in the actual question is amoxycillin which could be less than £2 so would you charge £6.85?

p2008
          And what it the prescriber says he will forward an NHS Prescription in 24hours?
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I understand that if the GP was seeing his patient under the terms of the NHS (i.e. NOT on his own time, as a private patient), then it would be illegal for him to issue a non-NHS prescription as he could be depriving/defrauding the NHS of £6.85 income; Wasn't there a case in the past where a pharmacist got told off for openly telling patients "you can buy this without prescription and it'll work out cheaper"?
            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
              I understand that if the GP was seeing his patient under the terms of the NHS (i.e. NOT on his own time, as a private patient), then it would be illegal for him to issue a non-NHS prescription as he could be depriving/defrauding the NHS of £6.85 income; Wasn't there a case in the past where a pharmacist got told off for openly telling patients "you can buy this without prescription and it'll work out cheaper"?
              Thought there was a pharmacist in Wales who used to treat NHS as private if less than £6.85. All water under the bridge now as no charges now.

If the script is NHS then ask the patient to pay £6.85 regardless of exemption. Ask them to come into the pharmacy and sign script when "they feel better" and you will return charge. Sounds reasonable.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Thanks Zoggite and Jeff,

MEP will have nothing to do with pricing - it's not allowed to.

If it's an NHS GP seeing an NHS patient then I'd charge £6.85 unless I had evidence of exemption.

The NHS tax if it was a taxable script that was due - unless of course it was a friend, relative or member of staff in which case I'd treat it as private if it was cheaper.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X