Year sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year sizes

I'm a current fourth year at uni, there's around 110 people in my year and I consider it big, it certainly isn't a close year, and I find this size has an effect on the lectures and stuff as they are simply too big.

I know there's going to be a potentially serious shortage of pharmacists in the near future, but I've heard that next year's intake is 200. Surely people will lose something and will leave with less skills in a such a big "anonymous" environment. Opportunities for work experience will be limited and people may well end up find themselves being "thorn in at the deep end" with extremely little experience.

Pretty much all theoretical at the moment, but i still think it's a possible cause for concern.

Year Sizes

When I studied pharmacy there were 90 in our group. This was ok for lectures, but quite a lot of our time was then spent in smaller groups, like tutorials, practicals etc. I think having 200 sounds big!

When you say about being thrown in at the deep end, well to be honest you are anyway really. I find that of all the things I learned at college 99% is simply not needed. OK I do work in retail, and there you work alone most of the time, where at least in hospital you have other pharmacists around you.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by alex
      I'm a current fourth year at uni, there's around 110 people in my year and I consider it big, it certainly isn't a close year, and I find this size has an effect on the lectures and stuff as they are simply too big.

I know there's going to be a potentially serious shortage of pharmacists in the near future, but I've heard that next year's intake is 200. Surely people will lose something and will leave with less skills in a such a big "anonymous" environment. Opportunities for work experience will be limited and people may well end up find themselves being "thorn in at the deep end" with extremely little experience.

Pretty much all theoretical at the moment, but i still think it's a possible cause for concern.
      Im going into ym forth year now this october. So far my year is the same size it was in year 1. The odd person has been put back a year and the odd person who would have been in the year above has joined our year after repeating their exams.

I know some people in my year who had 2 hospital placements and 3 community. And one of them said they were just not going to turn upto 2 of the community ones. This i felt was neither fair on the companies nor other students who failed to get a placement this summer.

Some people had so many placements offered they were spoilt for choice and others had none at all.

I'm one of the none at all. I have managed to secure an afternoon at a hospital pharmacy and still trying to get some voluntary work experience at a community.

There seems to be so many set backs im getting sick of everything and sometimes think i would have been better off just enrolling onto the teacher training programme.

If i dont get a pre-reg place i will just focus on another career.

Comment

Gaby

You'll get a pre-reg place, I'm sure.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Alex,

Are you from Manchester Uni?

Most current pharmacy schools have increased their intake significantly. There are now 22 schools of pharmacy and more on the way, so I think you are right to be a little concerned about the shortage of places.

Without an effort to increase pre-reg places there will be a bottle-neck.

There was a recent statement from the guild about a shortage of hospital preregs which alarms me.

My main concern though, is not the lack of prereg places, but the quality of education. I cannot see how so many schools of pharmacy can find enough experienced academics to maintain the highest standards of education.
          _____

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg
            Alex,
            My main concern though, is not the lack of prereg places, but the quality of education. I cannot see how so many schools of pharmacy can find enough experienced academics to maintain the highest standards of education.
            hmm... I guess that is a problem, but any student who is willing to learn and work will. I went to a school where only me and another girl went to university after studying traditional A levels. My school was beyond out of control but if you really want to succeed, I dont think poor teaching will stop you. I remember at high school i taught myself maths and to my mate.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
              Gaby

You'll get a pre-reg place, I'm sure.
              I am not so sure, I applied to every company to increase chances but only got an interview from one. So it all depends on this one interview.

Comment

Originally posted by gaby
                I am not so sure, I applied to every company to increase chances but only got an interview from one. So it all depends on this one interview.
                So you get your best togs on, and go for it. I have posted an interview I once had on here in "pre-reg interviews" I think I posted it for you. A lot of the points on that post are still relevant to your interview, so I hope it helps.

Good luck!

Comment

I got a letter inviting me to an interview for hospital pharmacy on saturday. I need to ring them and confirm i will be attending so just waiting for their offices to open.

Comment

Working...
                  X