Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck with Pre-reg NON Calculation Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck with Pre-reg NON Calculation Questions?

To Pre-Reg Students

If you are having trouble with the pre-reg questions (NON calculations - seperate section for that), post them here and I'll do my best to help you with them. I'm sure others will too.

Pre-Reg question section - not calculations
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Re: Stuck with Pre-reg NON Calculation Questions?

Hi everyone. I am a hospital pre-reg with my exam coming up and wondered if I could a check a question with you all. I have been doing a practise paper with the following question:

A. 100 Co-codamol tablets 30/500mg. Two tablets to be taken four times a day
    B. 3 x Phenobarbital 30mg tablets. One to be taken at night
    C. 16 x Paracetamol 500mg tablets. One to two to be taken up to four times a day
    D. 60 x MST 30mg tablets. One to be taken twice daily
    E. 32 x Paracetamol 500mg tablets. One to two to be taken up to four times a day

Select from A to E the most appropriate requirements for the supply of the medication above.

47. Can be sold from a pharmacy in the absence of the pharmacist.

My own knowledge tells me that even GSL medicines cannot be sold from a pharmacy if the pharmacist is not in personal control, and I have checked in the MEP and that seems to say the same thing as far as I can tell. The answer to the question is apparently C, but I don't think it is an official RPSGB question so I suppose it could be wrong. I just wanted to check I'm not missing something! Any thoughts?

Comment

co-codamol 30/500 is a POM so script only
      phenobarb is a CD and a POM so script only
      16 paracetamol is GSL can be sold anywhere.
      32 paracetamol is a P. sold behind healthacre counter under supervision
      MST is CD and POM so script only.
      johnep

Comment

I know it is GSL and can be sold anywhere, but if it is being sold from a pharmacy can it be sold in the absence of a pharmacist? Because the MEP states:

'All supplies of POMs and P medicines from registered retail pharmacy premises must be made under the supervision of a pharmacist. Sales of GSLs do not require supervision, but do require a pharmacist to be in personal control of the premises. Thus, if a pharmacist is not in personal control, for instance because he or she is not on the registered pharmacy premises, no sales of medicines can be made, and this includes GSL medicines.'

Comment

You are quite correct, while any old tom, Dick or Harry can sell a GSL med, a pharmacy can only sell if pharmacist available.

This anomaly in the law dates back to when most med were sold via pharmacies, so called 'patent medicines' have always been sold anywhere.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by cezlaa View Post
            Select from A to E the most appropriate requirements for the supply of the medication above.

47. Can be sold from a pharmacy in the absence of the pharmacist.

My own knowledge tells me that even GSL medicines cannot be sold from a pharmacy if the pharmacist is not in personal control, and I have checked in the MEP and that seems to say the same thing as far as I can tell. The answer to the question is apparently C, but I don't think it is an official RPSGB question so I suppose it could be wrong. I just wanted to check I'm not missing something! Any thoughts?
            Most appropriate- might not be equivalent to right. Think of it as least wrong

Jeff

Comment

Hi I am a hospital pre-registration student. I have a question regarding reimbursement.
              If, for example, a doctor prescribes 21 Augmentin 375mg tablets; in hospital we would ignore this and dispense 21 co-amoxiclav 250/125 non-proprietary to save money.
              In community would you have have to supply the brand when requested? If so would you be reimbursed any differently or would you get back the same amount as if you dispensed the generic product and therefore lose money?
              Any clarification would be much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks for your replies

brorlum: As far as I know you have to supply the branded product in community if that is what has been prescribed, but you do get reimbursed for the branded product so you don't lose money.

If the situation is the other way round and a generic product is prescribed, then you can give the generic or the branded, but would usually only be reimbursed for the generic product (unless for example the branded is all that is available).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though!

Comment

Originally posted by cezlaa View Post
                  Thanks for your replies

brorlum: As far as I know you have to supply the branded product in community if that is what has been prescribed, but you do get reimbursed for the branded product so you don't lose money.

If the situation is the other way round and a generic product is prescribed, then you can give the generic or the branded, but would usually only be reimbursed for the generic product (unless for example the branded is all that is available).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though!
                  ...or applaud you because you're right.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

cezlaa's question about "what Can be sold from a pharmacy in the absence of the pharmacist."

The answer is in no doubt 16xparacetamol, but the question doesn't actually say the pharmacists is not in personal control e.g. the pharmacists could have just gone to the toilet for a minute. So regards to your query about the quote in the MEP, the question doesn't contradict the MEP.
                    [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk[/URL] A guide for preregistration students [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]Pharmacy Exam[/URL]

Comment

Questions 15 and 16 concern the following medicines:
                      A 1 pack of 100 Nu-Seals Aspirin (enteric coated aspirin tablets
                      300 mg)
                      B 4 packs of 30 Aspro Clear (aspirin effervescent 300 mg tablets)
                      C 2 packs of 32 paracetamol 500 mg tablets (non-effervescent)
                      D 1 bottle of 100 aspirin dispersible tablets 75 mg
                      E 3 packs of 32 Paramol (paracetamol 500 mg / dihydrocodeine
                      7.46 mg, non-effervescent tablets)
                      Select, from A to E, which one of the above:
                      15. can lawfully be sold from a non-pharmacy retail outlet
                      16. can only be sold or supplied lawfully from a registered pharmacy in
                      accordance with a prescription

Comment

Emergency Supply

Hi,
                        All the exam papers I am doing seem to have at least one question about ES and the answer is nearly always of the "Thou shalt not supply without personally interviewing the patient" variety. Was just wondering how this works if the patient is a baby etc - is it reasonable to interview the parent? At what age does it become necessary to interview the child?

Comment

You would not normally make an ES for a baby, refer to OOH Dr.
                          johnep

Comment

Good point, never thought of that - question came up coz i did an exam question where the mother of a 17-year old wants an ES of ventolin or something and I said I couldn't give it because I needed to interview the patient - then I thought what if the patient was much younger/autistic etc.
                            Basically if you cannot interview the patient yourself because of communication/understanding issues then would you just have to refuse and send them to OOH Dr?

Comment

This is a classic case of whether the pharmacist is brave enough to make the decision to supply given all the circumstances, or pass the buck, possibly wasting precious time. If the request was deemed to be genuine, I would supply.

What could be the possible consequence of refusing supply?
                              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                              X