Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

    I'm not sure if this should be in this section but i'm currently doing my pre-reg year and i have to say i'm really disliking it. I feel like i'm not really respected and when i ask my tutor questions or i want to clarify things, i get talked to like i'm an idiot or get spoken to in a tone as if i'm being 'told off'. i don't feel comfortable working in this environment and find myself losing motivation and getting more and more depressed as the days go on.

    I gave myself a month before i made any proper decision and now it's been over 2 months and it's still the same. i spoke to my teacher practitioner about it and i've now found out that there is no way that i can change store (cos they are all full up)

    i was just wondering whether i'm able to quit this yr but reapply for next yr working for a different company instead? would that be looked down upon because i left?

  • #2
    Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

    Report them

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

      Originally posted by zangse View Post
      i don't feel comfortable working in this environment and find myself losing motivation and getting more and more depressed as the days go on.
      That is pharmacy in the 21st century. If it's not what you want for the rest of your life cut your losses and change now.

      Jeff

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

        In my opinion, if I were you, I'd just stick it out and get the year over with. My own pre-reg wasn't a lot different to this, so if you change next year there is no guarantee that you'll get a better place and you will have just wasted time.

        Just use it for what it is, and make sure you pass the exams at the end!
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

          Originally posted by admin View Post
          In my opinion, if I were you, I'd just stick it out and get the year over with. My own pre-reg wasn't a lot different to this, so if you change next year there is no guarantee that you'll get a better place and you will have just wasted time.

          Just use it for what it is, and make sure you pass the exams at the end!
          Sometimes its a question of battling on and getting through it. Battle on, don't give in to them, get on the register then find a find a small company where you are not just a 'work unit'.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

            Stay calm. Don't despair. The job will be different to the pre-reg year if it's anything like teaching. Oops - could be worse! Talk to your tutor in charge. Write down your concerns. Have an independent witness there at the interview. Agree an action plan with SMART targets that aims for modification of behaviour/attitude from both sides. Pre reg tutors seem to have enormous and unregulated power - but don't let this take away all you have achieved in the last 4 years MPharm - it's a damned hard course. I have found the Society, the University and the NPA utterly hopeless. Is there no union that you join as a student as do NQTs in teaching? It is absolutely unacceptable that there is no standardised training procedures for pre reg tutors who may be excellent practitioners, but inadequate pedagogs! Professional bodies should have systems in place that are transparent to all. Finally, remember you will never have to teach Macbeth to bottom set Year 9!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

              Originally posted by parent of pre-reg student View Post
              Is there no union that you join as a student
              I think the PDA accepts pre-reg students
              The PDA - The Pharmacists' Defence Association
              Union membership is optional - it is "free" with the insurance. Not sure if you can get union membership without the insurance though.

              Edit - PDA Pre Reg membership is free
              The PDA - The Pharmacists' Defence Association - Why join The PDA
              Not sure if a pre-reg gets union rights though

              Jeff
              Last edited by Jeff; 4, October 2007, 12:04 AM. Reason: checked the PDA website

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                Just wondered if things were better or worse: my daughter is still hanging on in there by the skin of her teeth, feeling pretty low. Her friends at Boots and Morrisons are having so much more of an easy time! I just keep reminding myself that my NQT year didn't leave me brimming with self esteem, but I got over it. Eventually.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                  i started my pre-reg lasy year in june and discoveered that my tutor was only going to only work at the pharmacy on saturdays for couple of hoirs and her help was next to nothing...i had to put up with patronizing attitude during the week from my mentor.....i;ll tell u openly that everyday i'd return from work i would jus cry as well as at work.....px's would c my mentor picking on me....
                  so, by chance because i'd started i had that month to also reconsider n found another placement...
                  this guy offered a lot...how he was going to teach me...n basically everything i needed i was going to get it....wot a load of crap!!!
                  i got there n go no training no help with calcs or anything he'd laugh every time i'd luk at the bnf.....it was ridiculous..
                  I put up with it cos had no options left...basically ur in a very similar situation to me the biggest mistake was should always apply for the chain community pharmacies n not independents......!!
                  i had to do it all myself.......!!!its tough it won't get easy.......!!but jus tick it out n thing about the day u pass...thats wot keeps me going....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                    Originally posted by parent of pre-reg student View Post
                    Just wondered if things were better or worse: my daughter is still hanging on in there by the skin of her teeth, feeling pretty low. Her friends at Boots and Morrisons are having so much more of an easy time! I just keep reminding myself that my NQT year didn't leave me brimming with self esteem, but I got over it. Eventually.
                    Well there's always us lot if she has any questions about pharmacy practice that are not getting answered....
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

                    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                      Originally posted by azz View Post
                      i started my pre-reg lasy year in june and discoveered that my tutor was only going to only work at the pharmacy on saturdays for couple of hoirs and her help was next to nothing...i had to put up with patronizing attitude during the week from my mentor.....i;ll tell u openly that everyday i'd return from work i would jus cry as well as at work.....px's would c my mentor picking on me....
                      so, by chance because i'd started i had that month to also reconsider n found another placement...
                      this guy offered a lot...how he was going to teach me...n basically everything i needed i was going to get it....wot a load of crap!!!
                      i got there n go no training no help with calcs or anything he'd laugh every time i'd luk at the bnf.....it was ridiculous..
                      I put up with it cos had no options left...basically ur in a very similar situation to me the biggest mistake was should always apply for the chain community pharmacies n not independents......!!
                      i had to do it all myself.......!!!its tough it won't get easy.......!!but jus tick it out n thing about the day u pass...thats wot keeps me going....
                      This is bad. I'd never treat a young person like this. If anyone has any calculations they are really stuck with, post them and I'll do my best to explain how to tackle them. In fact I think I'll start a new thread just for calculations.......
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                        Originally posted by admin View Post
                        This is bad.
                        No. Case as stated, it's awful! As Admin says elsewhere there are a lot of experienced people here. We haven't all got a lot of time, but some, like me, have, and are willing to be contacted off line for advice and comment.

                        Use the Private Message facility.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                          i know.......it's tuff....and u know cos i had bad experince and it still haunts me.........but if she gets thru she's dealt the toughest people she'll eva have to deal with.........!!trust me..
                          she jus needs to makes sure she gets all her competencies signed for....
                          i didn't get sent any courses except for smoking cessastion......didnt get to attend any conferences or anything......!!
                          just hold on.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                            you hear so many horror stories about pre-reg experience it begs the question why are these people becoming tutors. there should be a robust feed back mechanism (if there is not one why not!!) so that tutors can be given a rap on the .......... for not doing the job they undertook.

                            keep detailed evidence of your complaints with back up if possible

                            the society should be more active in this instead of running useless so called training sessions for tutors (the one i attended was a farce-- for them- late train - late start - early train back to london -- early finish-- for me 100 miles there 100 miles back at my own expense!!!!)
                            SMITHY

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Quitting pre-reg and restarting next yr?

                              but, u know it'll not make a difference to the system.......that's jus the way it is.......
                              im jus trying to look for help now to pass cos thats my main concern.....i've only got 3rd chance left to do my best......!!
                              it's jus not been my year but, dont know........!!i really expected to pass second time cos i'd worked so hard but, jus buggered up n got 67%........life's too short to complain and i want to look towards the future and not dwell on the past......!!I know that 100% my tutuor's probably laughing at me for being a so-called failure.......!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X