Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

    Hi all,

    I came across a private prescription at work on weekend. I checked the status of prescriber's status on GMC website and it says under STATUS: REGISTERED WITH A LICENSE TO PRACTICE.

    UNDER MORE DETAILS:

    it says

    SPECIALIST REGISTER ENTRY DATE: THE DOCTOR IS NOT ON THE SPECIALIST REGISTER

    GP REGISTER ENTRY DATE: THIS DOCTOR IS NOT ON THE GP REGISTER.

    I did not dispense the medicine as it was prescribed to one of their family member (which is not good practice) and I said I do not have it in stock (Though It was on shelf).

    Are they allowed to prescribe medicines when the status says like the above. I couldn't figure out from that description.

    Anyone has come across the above status of prescriber? Any suggestions what would be good to do in this kind of situations.

    Cheers

    Grampian.
    Last edited by Grampian; 17th, January 2013, 08:08 PM. Reason: missed specialist

  • #2
    Re: Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

    I think I've seen it before but not as a pharmacist and we didn't have the item in stock. I guess he is still able to prescribe as a private but he is not a Gp not a specialist. How about ringing gmc, I'll try to ring them tomorrow as well if I get a chance

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

      Originally posted by Janet View Post
      I think I've seen it before but not as a pharmacist and we didn't have the item in stock. I guess he is still able to prescribe as a private but he is not a Gp not a specialist. How about ringing gmc, I'll try to ring them tomorrow as well if I get a chance
      Hi Janet,

      I couldn't ring them. How about you? Have you tried to ring them. It was tricky situation. In MEP they didn't mention anything about this or what to look for.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

        Originally posted by Grampian View Post
        Hi Janet,

        I couldn't ring them. How about you? Have you tried to ring them. It was tricky situation. In MEP they didn't mention anything about this or what to look for.
        Will try on Monday

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

          I found out that Hospital doctors who hold license can prescribe. The lady in the OP might be working as hospital doctor or under training.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

            Originally posted by Grampian View Post
            I found out that Hospital doctors who hold license can prescribe. The lady in the OP might be working as hospital doctor or under training.
            Hi, yes sorry to replying later than I anticipated .. Exactly.. So basically the doctor is registered as a doctor i.e. Holds a license to practice but he might still be undergoing training in order to obtain a status of gp or specialist or decided not to become one altogether ... A period of training needs to be undertaken in order to become a Gp or specialist that's why the status shows the above.. Sounds similar to pharmacists register: still a pharmacist but may have additional registration status for example independent prescriber to practice .. Doctors, Until they become NHS employees, are allowed to prescribe privately only..

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Private Prescription and Prescriber's status on GMC

              Originally posted by Janet View Post
              Hi, yes sorry to replying later than I anticipated .. Exactly.. So basically the doctor is registered as a doctor i.e. Holds a license to practice but he might still be undergoing training in order to obtain a status of gp or specialist or decided not to become one altogether ... A period of training needs to be undertaken in order to become a Gp or specialist that's why the status shows the above.. Sounds similar to pharmacists register: still a pharmacist but may have additional registration status for example independent prescriber to practice .. Doctors, Until they become NHS employees, are allowed to prescribe privately only..

              Hi Janet,

              You are correct. I believe The lady decided not to become GP or specialist just wanted to carry on as hospital doctor.

              Comment

              Working...
              X