Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• career change

Hi,

I'm 24 years old, have a 2.2 degree in physics and a masters in medical physics.
    A levels BBCC in maths, phys, chem & bio respectivly.

I have a unconditional offer to go study Mpharm at Herts uni this sept. But I'm not sure whether to take the plunge. At the moment I help manage my parents business both a small post office and property business. I work long hours and often 7 days a week so I would like to do something that does not involve that much commitment but also something which would exercise my post-grad brain.
    Having a 2.2 has put me a step back had I was hoping to study medicine but with my qualifications it is very hard to get in, so I don't know if I should go with pharmacy, If I don't I risk losing another year of my life....

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: career change

Go into physics teaching and get a golden hello and long holidays to concentrate on 'property ladder'.

Comment

Do not do pharmacy!!!
      You have been warned!!
      Retail is horrible at the moment!!

Comment

Pharmacy will be a poor substitute for Medicine. Don't make that mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
          Pharmacy will be a poor substitute for Medicine. Don't make that mistake.
          Pharmacy does the jobs that the other health professions hate, or so it seems. It might look good on the recruitment posters and the RPSGB do paint a fantastic picture, but pay attention. Don't do it. I'll never speak to you again if you do. Go and teach science or something interesting.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I hear what you say about pharmacy, and quite frankly I agree. I think Pharmacists are grossly over-qualified for the work they do, and from the outside it seems as though they are just middle-men between Doctor & patient, and one thing I have learnt from business is to cut costs you have to cut out the middle man, given the current NHS cash crisis....

But my motivations for pharmacy are perhaps a little different,
            I have a genuine interest in the way drug act on the body and the way the body works.

If I do do Mpharm I would do it in order to get a job in research, or teach at uni, carry on with a phd... sort of thing. If I put my mind to it work hard and get a first then maybe even use it as a spring board into a more pleasant profession.

Worse case scenario I work as a locum (if the job still exists in 5 years that is!!) with reasonable pay hopefully, or maybe a Locum a couple days a week and pursue something else phd or other job the other days of the week.

Is this unrealistic, am I totally off the plot or does this make some sense??

Comment

Originally posted by gurps View Post
              I hear what you say about pharmacy, and quite frankly I agree. I think Pharmacists are grossly over-qualified for the work they do, and from the outside it seems as though they are just middle-men between Doctor & patient, and one thing I have learnt from business is to cut costs you have to cut out the middle man, given the current NHS cash crisis....

But my motivations for pharmacy are perhaps a little different,
              I have a genuine interest in the way drug act on the body and the way the body works.

If I do do Mpharm I would do it in order to get a job in research, or teach at uni, carry on with a phd... sort of thing. If I put my mind to it work hard and get a first then maybe even use it as a spring board into a more pleasant profession.

Worse case scenario I work as a locum (if the job still exists in 5 years that is!!) with reasonable pay hopefully, or maybe a Locum a couple days a week and pursue something else phd or other job the other days of the week.

Is this unrealistic, am I totally off the plot or does this make some sense??
              It does make sense but its a lot to go through for 5 years and have to finance it all. You could end up with a mountain of debt before you do another 'n' years on a PhD. Good on you for thinking long term and having ambitions though. Locums are a good way of staying 'grounded' while you study. Further to your other point, you might think that we are over qualified, but thats the trap that people fall into - thinking of dispensing as just a supply role. That's just part of it. Using your training to keep patients safe and plugging up all the holes in the NHS because the service is creaking under its own weight is the main job we do today. If your still keen, see if someone on the forum here will fix you up with a week or two work experience?
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

If I had my time again I personally would not be a pharmacist again.
                Others love it, but its damned hard work and becoming a very bureaucratic profession.

I agree get some "work experience" and try before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                X