Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What degree results do pre-reg employers look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What degree results do pre-reg employers look for?

Hi I understand pre-reg employers will make a conditional offer to successful applicants but I am wondering what degree result is normally requested? A pharmacist told me that most only look for a pass with the exception being Boots who want at least a 2:2. Is she correct in telling me this? It's becoming more and more competitive now I find it hard to believe this. Also when applying for pre-reg positions, do the employers ask for your current results at the time?

Re: What degree results do pre-reg employers look for?

Results only matter if two candidates with everything else equal. same throughout life.
    johnep

Comment

Hi

I've never been asked which class of degree I've got, and I have worked in two hospitals, and been a store manager for two of the biggest chains there are.

I have to agree with John............
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Boots requires you to have at least a 2:2 to undertake a pre-reg with them. At present, it's only Boots that asks for this but with the increasing competition, it's likely the other companies may follow (and Boots may up that to a 2:1).

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I know Morrisons ask for a 2:2. Hope that helps.

Comment

Can I just ask why it's becoming increasingly competitive?

Are more people studying pharmacy in general or is it because more people want to undertake the pre-reg year in particular stores?

Comment

Originally posted by #1_Wasteman View Post
                Can I just ask why it's becoming increasingly competitive?

Are more people studying pharmacy in general or is it because more people want to undertake the pre-reg year in particular stores?
                Almost certainly the former, coupled with cuts in training budgets in NHS hospitals. Several Universities have introduced Pharmacy MPharms in the past few years.

Comment

Is there somewhere you can actually see how many mpharm graduates are being produced out of each of the 23uni at present?
                  3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

UCAS handbook used to list no of students on a course so that should give you ballpark figure of number graduating, allowing for a few changing course, resitting etc.

Not sure if figure still published though.
                    Titch

Comment

When I was at Uni taking B.Phm, Prof Linnell told us that community pharmacy was for the C&Ds and Ph.Cs. A degree was for those students wanting to succeed in academia, research or industry.

I think we are now approaching overskill and the Govnmt certainly consider we can be replaced in the community by cheaper techs.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                        When I was at Uni taking B.Phm, Prof Linnell told us that community pharmacy was for the C&Ds and Ph.Cs. A degree was for those students wanting to succeed in academia, research or industry.

I think we are now approaching overskill and the Govnmt certainly consider we can be replaced in the community by cheaper techs.
                        johnep
                        1. Prof Linnell was an intellectual snob.

2. On what evidence?

Comment

He had a great influence on me as a working class lad and first one in the family to go to uni. Consequently I did a couple of years teaching and went into industry. At a recent reunion for those graduating in 57,58,59 the several millionaires had all made their fortunes in retail, except for the host who is a half billionaire with his fortune made from publishing.

With regard to modern students I am not scornful of their academic ability, but rather of the primary school teachers who thought that spelling and multiplication tables did not matter today. Actually, the standard of spelling and grammar on this forum is much higher than average.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                            UCAS handbook used to list no of students on a course so that should give you ballpark figure of number graduating, allowing for a few changing course, resitting etc.

Not sure if figure still published though.
                            I can't find it anywhere unfortunately.
                            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

You could try the individual schools sites. They often list nbr of students both undergrads and research.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X