Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career change

Hi there,

I am in my mid 30s with a biochemistry degree and a Pos grad in Medical Informatics. I am currently working in Clinical Research but looking to change careers. I am considering a career in Pharmacy at the moment and I know that this will take about 5 yrs to complete and 100% focus and determination to succeed in this course. In the past, I got concerned about the amount of debt I would get myself into if I went for the course as I secured a place twice in ULSOP and KCL a couple of years ago but I turned it down then. The thought has still not left me yet. I would like some thoughtful advice from anyone.

Re: Career change

DON'T FO PHARMACY. See my other posts elsewhere about why not.

Seriously though, there are very few people I would recommend pharmacy to as a fulfilling career choice. And you, from what you've written, don;t sound like one of them.

Why do you want to leave your current career? What do you expect pharmay to offer you?

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
      DON'T FO PHARMACY. See my other posts elsewhere about why not.

Seriously though, there are very few people I would recommend pharmacy to as a fulfilling career choice. And you, from what you've written, don;t sound like one of them.

Why do you want to leave your current career? What do you expect pharmay to offer you?
      Sorry, but I have to agree with NT on this. If you want an awfully boring job do pharmacy, but if it's a career you're after then go for something else.

A friend of mine has just finished medicine (after pharmacy) and it takes the same time (5 years) to qualify. She also said the course was easier then pharmacy, so if you are interested in health why not go for that?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I agree with both Admin and NT do not do pharmacy (especially retail) as it has become extremely stressfull over the last five years.
        If you want to do any branch of pharmacy go into industry.
        Retail at the moment is horrible due to:

1. Demanding patients! some want you to break the law to help them out!
        2. The collection and delivery services offered by pharmacies can become an organisational nightmare.
        3. Trays - nomads,etc
        4. Drug Addicts.
        5. More scripts-more people take tablets these days.

There are an awful lot of fed-up pharmacists at the moment who would love to get out but cannot due to family/mortgage commitments.
        If i were you i would talk to some pharmacists (hospital and retail) in your area and ask if you can do some work for them for a while and then decide whether you want to commit to five years.

I am having some time out at the moment and i am loving it and don't miss it for one minute!!
        To fill in time i am training as both a plumber and electrician and hope to qualify in both by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by drh785 View Post
          There are an awful lot of fed-up pharmacists at the moment who would love to get out but cannot due to family/mortgage commitments.
          It's always possible to get out. Downsize/reduce your lifestyle needs etc. Just think - how much of the electronic gadetry/spare rooms/designer clothes etc do you actually need?? Ditto for private school fees etc.

Just realised I sound like some sort of hippy, but I ust think I'd rather have a job that pays less that I enjoy rather than the depression and anxiety that goes with pharmacy territory.

Originally posted by drh785 View Post
          To fill in time i am training as both a plumber and electrician and hope to qualify in both by the end of the year.
          Plumber and electrician at the same time?? That's impressive!! Careful not to confuse the two...you could end up with a nasty electric shock!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend pharmacy, especially if cost is a concern. The fees these days are 3000 pounds per year.

I finished my pharmacy degree and qualified last August but am currently in my first year of medicine. I've found the course to be definitely more interesting and the staff including lecturers are much more passionate about medicine than people in pharmacy. As for difficulty, I wouldn't say medicine is easier than pharmacy at all but with a pharmacy degree, you definitely find it easier.

If you do the 4 year course, then fees are only paid for one year and for the remaining three years, you get fees paid and a bursary on top. Just thought I'd mention it as an avenue to look into.

Comment

I agree with all of you. DO NOT DO PHARMACY.

I actually like what I have studied but the problem is in the practice of the profession. It is totally different. The practice induces anxiety, depression, etc.

I think that considering the research section of pharmacy is more appropriate.

Comment

any one thinking of doing pharmacy today should be certified and then sent to the funny farm
                i qualified in 68 (i think- fogot to bring my cert) and it was a great job then but its crap now
                SMITHY

Comment

[QUOTE=ferretmanabu;5808] I finished my pharmacy degree and qualified last August but am currently in my first year of medicine.

If a qualified pharmacist (without doing pre-reg) decides to go to medical school, how many years must he/she do, does he have to do the full course?

Comment

My friend has just finished medicine, and she had to do the full course. I don't think any of the medical courses give you any time off for having previous qualifications, including pharmacy.
                    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

There are plenty of four year courses available these days. The advantage is obviously the year you save and also a nice bursary from the NHS. The standard medical course is five years.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                        My friend has just finished medicine, and she had to do the full course. I don't think any of the medical courses give you any time off for having previous qualifications, including pharmacy.
                        It would be a long slog after 5 years to qualify as a pharmacist to start with, although you would probably end up a better medic at the end of it though.

My views on choosing pharmacy are well known - most of us would not make the choice again. After 26 years on the register I've never known stress like this and it is set to increase.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

[QUOTE=ramroum;6118]
                          Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
                          If a qualified pharmacist (without doing pre-reg)
                          Such a thing does not exist. To be a 'qualified pharmacist'* you have to do, and pass, pre-reg. Otherwise you are just a person with a pharmacy degree. (Although maybe a wise person with a pharmacy degree since you decided not to do pre-reg.)

* Technically speaking, a 'qualified pharmacist' does not exist at all. You are either a 'pharmacist' (by means of 'qualifying' by passing the pre-reg exam) or 'not a pharmacist'. People seem to add the prefix 'qualified' to enhance their status (which of course we all need). Pedantry over.
                          Last edited by N.T; 21, June 2007, 06:56 PM. Reason: deletion of word in wrong place

Comment

Hey people ..come on pharmacy is NOT that bad, albeit stress levels these days are unprecedented...but folks always look on the bright iside of life

My philosophy is .if you want it bad enough youve got to go for it...Pharmacy is not a bad career and until remote supervision etc set in its' employment potential is definitely above average..pay hovers between average and a bit above average depending on your area of work...its not all bad!
                            Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

[QUOTE=N.T;6134]
                              Originally posted by ramroum View Post

Such a thing does not exist. To be a 'qualified pharmacist'* you have to do, and pass, pre-reg. Otherwise you are just a person with a pharmacy degree. (Although maybe a wise person with a pharmacy degree since you decided not to do pre-reg.)

* Technically speaking, a 'qualified pharmacist' does not exist at all. You are either a 'pharmacist' (by means of 'qualifying' by passing the pre-reg exam) or 'not a pharmacist'. People seem to add the prefix 'qualified' to enhance their status (which of course we all need). Pedantry over.
                              Dear NT,

You are right, but I thought if you do the pre- reg you become "registered pharmacist", without pre-reg you have a degree so you are qualified isn't it? can't you use your degree overseas, or become a secondary school teacher (fast track)...lots of options in case someone couldn't pass Pre-reg!!

Comment

Working...
                              X