Commitment to a big chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commitment to a big chain

Are you allowed to work for another multiple or locum if you’re an employee of one of the big chains?

Re: Commitment to a big chain

Unlikely,the contract is usually worded so that you can't even work for a nearby pharmacy for a number of months/years after leaving!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

I know many people who do and have never encountered any problems doing it.

Not sure on the content of their contract - so what they may be doing could be breaking the contract. Never heard of anyone getting into strife because of this though.

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
        Unlikely,the contract is usually worded so that you can't even work for a nearby pharmacy for a number of months/years after leaving!

That’s rather unfair isn’t it? I can understand them not allowing you to work for another company whilst you’re an employee but to restrict you after you’ve left really sucks. Why do they put this restriction in? To stop you nabbing the “regulars”?

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post

That’s rather unfair isn’t it? I can understand them not allowing you to work for another company whilst you’re an employee but to restrict you after you’ve left really sucks. Why do they put this restriction in? To stop you nabbing the “regulars”?
          Basically, yes!
          however, I don't think any employer has ever been successful in sueing an ex-employee who did just that, employment tribunals tend to frown upon such a restrictive clause...
          As for locuming or working for a different company if you're an employee of one of the big chains, I don't think they'd quibble too much about that, providing it doesn't affect your ability to work properly when you're working for them. If they wanted to impose such restriction clauses in your contract, I'd make darn sure they pay handsomely for the priviledge!
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
            As for locuming or working for a different company if you're an employee of one of the big chains, I don't think they'd quibble too much about that, providing it doesn't affect your ability to work properly when you're working for them. If they wanted to impose such restriction clauses in your contract, I'd make darn sure they pay handsomely for the priviledge!
            They imposed a clause about locum work in mine. OK the area manager said that what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him - but I was always uncomfortable with the clause.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              They imposed a clause about locum work in mine. OK the area manager said that what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him - but I was always uncomfortable with the clause.

Jeff
              I don't think they can do that any more.
              Provided that you are not acting in a way prejudicial to your main employment they cannot restrict your activities out of contracted hours. Just mention human rights, tribunals, constructive dismissal. They will leave you alone.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Having checked pre-reg contracts from two of the big chains, one restricts working elsewhere without permission from the company and the other has a clause that restricts working a certain radius from another one of their stores.

I'll definitely be reading contracts more carefully in future.

Comment

It definitely pays to read the smallprint, whether you're buying a telly, car insurance, or signing a contract for employment...!
                  Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I haven't seen my NHS pre-reg contract yet. I accepted without seeing it since I was told that it wouldn't be prepared till nearer to the time I start with them. I'm now afraid, very afraid.............
                    Last edited by hannahd; 20, March 2007, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Many hospital pharmacists do locums at weekends. I did when I was teaching and also when in industry, you can become very 'rusty' rapidly if you don't.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                        I haven't seen my NHS pre-reg contract yet. I accepted without seeing it since I was told that it wouldn't be prepared till nearer to the time I start with them. I'm now afraid, very afraid.............
                        Wouldn't worry about the pre-reg contract. It's very basic. Just read it carefully before you sign to be double careful. Remember, it's never too late to back out if it's terribly bad (which it won't be). Even easier, just ask them to change the contract if it's unreasonable (which they should with no worries). Make sure the salary's correct.

Multiple pharmacy contracts will generally try and screw you over. NHS contracts will just have mistake cos they're incompetant.

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
                          Wouldn't worry about the pre-reg contract. It's very basic. Just read it carefully before you sign to be double careful. Remember, it's never too late to back out if it's terribly bad (which it won't be). Even easier, just ask them to change the contract if it's unreasonable (which they should with no worries). Make sure the salary's correct.

Multiple pharmacy contracts will generally try and screw you over. NHS contracts will just have mistake cos they're incompetant.
                          Thanks for the tips and reassurance N.T. I will definitely be making sure they don't miss any zeros off my salary.

Comment

good topic, will keep an eye when i sign my pre-reg contract and update you if i find any interesting things
                            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

I'd trust the NHS in this case, t's the multiples you should be scared of
                              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Working...
                              X