Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An advice for Health Promotion topic please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An advice for Health Promotion topic please.

As pharmacy students at Aston uni we were asked to run and organize a health promotion campaign in one of the big pharmacies. Could you suggest what topics would the public be most interested in please, with some tips in order to attract them to our stall?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ramroum; 27, May 2008, 08:03 PM.

Originally posted by ramroum View Post
    As pharmacy students we were asked to run and organize a health promotion campaign in one of the big pharmacies. Could you suggest what topics would the public be most interested in please, with some tips in order to attract them to our stall?

Thanks.
    Obesity
    Smoking cessation.
    Sexual health.

Depends on which sections of the public you wish to talk to - fat smelly or fun ;-)

Jeff

Comment

Diabetes would be good, particularly if you could get one of the companies to give you a glucose meter. remember to get public to sign consent form first.

Perhaps peak airflo meter for respiratory disease. remember to get disposable mouth pieces.

Blood pressure also if you can get hold of a monitor. all above should be crowd pullers.

johnep

Comment

Many thanks for the good ideas,

We are not allowed to prick fingers for blood testing (glucose, or cholesterol...).

Comment

What about food hygiene & "how to prevent the spread of infections in the house"? I'm sure many people are ignorant of where bacteria are found, which ones are bad and how to neutralise them effectively; in these days of increasing MRSA-threat, it could be quite useful.
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Re: An advice for Health Promotion topic please.

Originally posted by ramroum View Post
            As pharmacy students we were asked to run and organize a health promotion campaign in one of the big pharmacies. Could you suggest what topics would the public be most interested in please, with some tips in order to attract them to our stall?

Thanks.
            Five a day.
            Fruit and veg - get a juicer lots of fruit and carrots and make juices for the punters.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
              What about food hygiene & "how to prevent the spread of infections in the house"? I'm sure many people are ignorant of where bacteria are found, which ones are bad and how to neutralise them effectively; in these days of increasing MRSA-threat, it could be quite useful.
              No! Don't encourage people to kill 99.999999999999999999% of all germs in the house! I think a good bit of raw meet juice on your salad and earth and in sandwiches from a young age is all the better for you than living in sterility.

Don't get me wrong, basic education on food hygiene is a good thing, but generally these promotions lead to everyone becoming borderline OCD about germs.

Comment

Thanks NT. I wanted to post something like that but thought I'd be immediately flamed.

Over 100 years ago H G Wells wrote The War of the Worlds and predicted what would happen to a race that had removed all bacteria from it's environs: They have reduced immunity and are incapable of dealing with bacteria.
                Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                eloquent-e-tales

Comment

So why is it that every summer I'm inundated (not literally!) with people leaking from both ends because they've re-re-re-reheated thursday night's curry or left the shopping in the boot of the car in the sun all afternoon? I believe we would be at less risk from infections if people didn't use antiseptic cleaning products at all, rather than use them willy-nilly not knowing how to use them properly! Most men don't wash their hands after going to the toilet, yet they won't drink tapwater for fear of catching something! we need to educate people as to where the REAL risks are, not the perceived ones.
                  Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Thanks very much for the ideas.
                    we are not allowed to make people juice, or use our hands for slicing fruits (we are not insured if these people get any illnesses or ..because of our bacteria)
                    For educating people about bacteria I think you are right about the basic hygien rules especially touching row meat then fresh vegs which will be eaten without cooking.
                    What about including more than one aspects of healthy living, is it good or would choosing only one topic be better! Where can I get charts for the ideal BP, or weight, healthy eating...etc from please?
                    Last edited by ramroum; 5, March 2007, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                      Thanks NT. I wanted to post something like that but thought I'd be immediately flamed.
                      I've noticed your posts have become less contraversial since being elected!

With great power comes great responsibility eh?

Comment

Yeah, got to watch every word I type now or Jeff jumps up and down on me!
                        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

ramroum - have you thought of such topic as mental health (depression is on top right now), dealing with stress or how stress may affect other diseases or even cause them?
                          Obesity is a good topic too, I guess. You could teach people how to reckon BMI for example.
                          No matter what you choose I think that is a good idea to prepare lome lefleats or brochures - you could give them to patients with short encouragement to make them feel welcome to come to your stall and ask some further questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathedral View Post
                            ramroum - have you thought of such topic as mental health (depression is on top right now), dealing with stress or how stress may affect other diseases or even cause them?
                            Brilliant - ignore drugs completely and bring CBT to the masses. I love it.

Jeff

Comment

Well, Jeff I'm afraid that you misunderstood me.
                              Some people simply don't know that their condition is serious or don't know if or how they should find more about it. Health promotions are to give them basic information not replace drugs or ignore them.
                              Last edited by Cathedral; 6, March 2007, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X