Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the procedure for shadowing in hospitals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the procedure for shadowing in hospitals?

My university asked us to shadow a doctor in clinic, theatre, or a pharmacist in hospital to fill in CPD forms,just to learn about CPD.
    Last edited by ramroum; 14, January 2008, 08:30 PM.

health check

Due to fear of HIV and TB.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      Due to fear of HIV and TB.
      johnep
      So for TB they'd do the Mantoux test and a blood test for HIV? It's a little extreme for just 2-3 hours of shadowing work but then again I suppose they can't risk it.

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies. Are these the required tests as well?
        Last edited by ramroum; 14, January 2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Anyone working for the NHS out there who could enlighten us on what the medical consists of (before starting pre-reg job)?

Comment

Believe depends on whether you will have contact with pts.
            johnep

Comment

johnep
              I'm sure it involves having contact with patients. I'm just curious (and apprehensive) at what the medical involves.

Comment

When I started my pre-reg, there were hardly any checks. You will get a meeting with occy health who will basically give you hep b jabs.

Comment

Medicals

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                  I'm sure it involves having contact with patients. I'm just curious (and apprehensive) at what the medical involves.
                  I've worked at two hospitals and not had a medical for either of them. I also asked a hospital pharmacist friend of mine this today, and he said he didn't have one either.

I have had one for a large retail chain, but basically I didn't agree to do anything I didn't want to. So I simply refused to answer any questions that I considered were none of their business, and did not do anything that I also felt was too personal. Basically I didn't answer any questions about: -

1. How much I drink - I don't drink at work so it's none of their business
                  2. Answer if I smoked or not - again I don't do it at work

Physically I refused to: -

1. Get weighed - not even my husband knows that one!
                  2. Take off any clothes

So all in all I let the guy take my blood pressure, pee on a stick, fill in the form, and said "no" to every other question asked of me. I got the job.

Most of the things are just a very basic medical, that involves what you want it to. If you agree to the whole lot you would: -

1. Be weighed
                  2. Have your height measured
                  3. Asked if you drink - how much
                  4. Asked if you smoke - how much
                  5. Fill in a form with lots of questions on - have you ever had mental health issues, diabetes, etc etc etc
                  6. Pee on a stick to measure for glucose in your urine
                  7. Have your abdomen prodded for signs of an enlarged liver etc
                  8. Get your blood pressure measured
                  9. Declare any medication you take
                  10. Declare any existing medical conditions you have
                  11. Have your heart listened to
                  12. Have your lung function tested

And I think thats about it. I may have missed something out, but if I have it wasn't any big deal because I would have refused it if it were.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I was given a health screen by occupational health before starting at hospital for my pre-reg. I had my blood pressure, blood sample and eyes tested as well as asked about any other medical problems.

You'll need to have a medical in your prereg year, regardless of who you work for, from your GP to declare you medically fit to join the register.
                    _____

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
                      I was given a health screen by occupational health before starting at hospital for my pre-reg. I had my blood pressure, blood sample and eyes tested as well as asked about any other medical problems.

You'll need to have a medical in your prereg year, regardless of who you work for, from your GP to declare you medically fit to join the register.
                      Yeah, but in reality I have had those GP "medicals" and haven't ever actually had a medical.
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Admin: Thanks for informing me that you can refuse to answer questions/ requests in the medical. I was under the impression that refusal = no job but apparently that's not the case and this has empowered me a little.

Richtagg: Did you have to have any jabs at all?

And um, does anyone know of any non-painful way to give a blood sample?

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                          Thanks for the replies.

Admin: Thanks for informing me that you can refuse to answer questions/ requests in the medical. I was under the impression that refusal = no job but apparently that's not the case and this has empowered me a little.

Richtagg: Did you have to have any jabs at all?

And um, does anyone know of any non-painful way to give a blood sample?
                          As I see it Hannah, we don't live in a police state and I can refuse to answer questions about anything I like! I'm just telling you what I did, and what the outcome was. I personally don't like Dr's, hate medicals, and won't answer any questions I think are personal, so I don't.

I know you are younger then me, so if you aren't happy with anything just say something like "I'd rather not thanks, I don't feel comfortable with that". If they press it, just say "you wouldn't like me asking you how many times a week you have sex with your wife would you?" - a line I've used before too.

As for a non painful way of giving a blood sample - well it isn't really painful is it? Lets be honest- it's just a quick jab in the arm. Is that what really worries you - needles?

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post

A GP has to declare you fit to join the register - they don't automatically have to do a medical. I got my forms signed by a locum at a surgery I had been registered with for nine months. If you have just registered with a GP they may want to do a medical, but if they've got your history there often isn't any need.

Comment

Medical...

johnep
                              Look up and cough usually! <g>
                              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X