Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Work Experience

    My question to the pharmacists here, or anyone located in that sort of division, to explain what would be the most promising way of getting work experience. I have been to Lloyds and several other branches, hopelessly I was rejected by all. The thing I mainly found odd was, as follows;
    In one particular pharmacy, I was told to hand in my CV, I did and I was told I'd expected to be contacted a fornight later - dissapointingly its been a month and no reply. In another pharmacy (Boots) I asked a pharmacist whether I could get work experience, she went into some back room and 5 seconds later emerged to tell me there was none - I found this very odd. My most recent dissapointment the sheer arrogance one pharmacist seemed to have, with some sort of angry tone of voice she told me there wasnt any.
    Personally, I've expected out of 8 places I've been to, for at least one placement to turn up, Im not particularly stupid, quite far from it, but I have do want to understand more about what the job entails, etc. As a pharmacist could you give me any pointers? Could you give me a better approach? If so, I'd very much appreciate it.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    work experience

    I simply went along to local BTC and asked re becoming a Saturday boy.
    Staff are always in short supply on a Saturday.
    johnep

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johnep View Post
      I simply went along to local BTC and asked re becoming a Saturday boy.
      With all due respect, Johnep, that was 50 years ago... before Equal Opportunities, Data Protection, Working Time Directives, etc!
      I would try and find an independent pharmacy, or a small chain where the branch staff still retain some autonomy and a say in staffing matters; in large multiples, everything tends to be dealt with by Head Office, so you'll never get a quick response, if you get one at all!
      Also, try somewhere "touristy", like at the seaside: they get a lot busier in the summer and need extra pairs of hands.
      But I have to say, with no prior experience or training in things pharmaceutical, you are going to be a bit of a burden for any pharmacy, at least for the first few weeks...
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

      Comment


      • #4
        work experience

        Most Sdrug and Moss seem to have Saturday staff and some of these are students.

        I have sometimes turned up at a store on a Saturday to be told that the regular member staff is off ill and the new Saturday girl starts today!

        At one store last week, one member of staff had been there a week, the other a month.

        You cannot expect to work in the dispensary as a Saturday girl/boy. I did not get into the dispensary for a couple of years until I started my apprenticeship.

        However, merely working on the healthcare counter will give you invaluable experience and opportunity to talk with the pharmacist.
        johnep

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Most Sdrug and Moss seem to have Saturday staff and some of these are students.

          I have sometimes turned up at a store on a Saturday to be told that the regular member staff is off ill and the new Saturday girl starts today!

          At one store last week, one member of staff had been there a week, the other a month.

          You cannot expect to work in the dispensary as a Saturday girl/boy. I did not get into the dispensary for a couple of years until I started my apprenticeship.

          However, merely working on the healthcare counter will give you invaluable experience and opportunity to talk with the pharmacist.
          johnep
          Whats the chance of me getting a saturday job working on the healthcare counter, and what is a healthercare counter?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by firestar View Post
            Whats the chance of me getting a saturday job working on the healthcare counter, and what is a healthercare counter?
            Firestar

            Where are you at? Are you a student, still at school, or thinking of re-training to become a pharmacist? How old are you - if you pardon me asking.
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by admin View Post
              Firestar

              Where are you at? Are you a student, still at school, or thinking of re-training to become a pharmacist? How old are you - if you pardon me asking.
              At the moment I am studying A-Levels (AS). I do go to sixth form and I am 17 years of age.

              Comment


              • #8
                Firestar,
                Do you fancy july + august in North Wales?
                Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Healthcare covers otc and dispensary. Now called healthcare as rest of supermarket/store etc not classed as pharmacy so that the store can sell alcohol and tobacco.
                  johnep

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Firestar,

                    what part of the country are you in? I may be able to help.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                      Firestar,

                      what part of the country are you in? I may be able to help.
                      Hi, Im from Derbyshire

                      Firestar,
                      Do you fancy july + august in North Wales?
                      .

                      Thank you for the offer, may I ask where in particular?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Work Experience

                        Heya guys, i was just wondering if anyone could help....
                        im from the west yorkshire region, and will be working full time in Bradford Royal Infirmary as an administration clerk in the ENT/EYE department in a few weeks.
                        I will be starting at aston uni in september, and i really need to try and get some experience in a pharmacy. I have tried to gain a place in many different pharmacies - but they are already taking on student pharmacists and give priority to students already doing pharmacy.
                        I really really really need to some weekends at a pharmacy.
                        I've tried ringing them up and sending CVs, nothings working so far!
                        Any suggestions as to what else I could try to do?
                        Any help will be much appreciated.
                        Thank you

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X