• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mature Pharmacy Students

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading everyone's messages:

My situation is as follows:

· I am 26 years old.
    · I have a 2:1 degree in BSc Computer Science (graduated in summer 2002).
    · 2.5 A Levels Mathematics (C), Computer Science (C), Further Mathematics AS (C)
    · I am currently working full time as a Financial Accounting Assistant for City Council and am studying CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants). All fees being paid by the City Council.

After many months I have been seriously questioning my career direction and whether I want to carry on with what I am currently doing as I cannot see myself sitting in front of a computer for the rest of my life. I am seriously interested in studying Pharmacy or even medicine once I complete my CIMA studies. Although most likely I would be more suited to pharmacy even though medicine is regarded as more rewarding, but Pharmacy seems more flexible for a balanced lifestyle.

Basically when I was in sixth form I was seriously discouraged by my teachers due to struggling at A Levels (Bio, Chem and Maths) in the first term of starting them, unfortunately my teachers influenced my goals/ambitions due to my personal lack of confidence at the time and I ended up dropping chemistry, biology and decided to go to college and do the A Levels I mentioned. Now looking back, my biggest regret is letting my teachers, especially my biology teacher influence my personal ambitions by discouraging me the way they did.

My main question is what is would you recommend studying pharmacy and are their many mature students studying pharmacy, like 28 plus.

Look forward to your responses.

Ammo

Mature Students.

Originally posted by ammo2006 View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading everyone's messages:

My situation is as follows:

· I am 26 years old.
    · I have a 2:1 degree in BSc Computer Science (graduated in summer 2002).
    · 2.5 A Levels Mathematics (C), Computer Science (C), Further Mathematics AS (C)
    · I am currently working full time as a Financial Accounting Assistant for City Council and am studying CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants). All fees being paid by the City Council.

My main question is what is would you recommend studying pharmacy and are their many mature students studying pharmacy, like 28 plus.

Look forward to your responses.

Ammo
    Hi,
    You might get into medicine or pharmacy as a mature student.
    But look at the cost and the timescales for pharmacy.
    26 + 2 years A Level Sciences + 4 years degree + 1 Years Pre-reg.
    Takes you to 33 yo. (OK if you can get into a pharmacy school with your 'A' levels take off 2 years).
    Then what? Back in front of a different computer, as that's where medicine and pharmacy are going!

If you have Delphi programming skills and live in the N-W of England I do know of a pharmacy systems company looking for good people. If you are interested I can give you some contact details off list. Let me know.
    Some of the projects are fairly cutting edge of pharmacy, Electronic Prescriptions and Robot Interfaces to name just two.
    In a similar way, if you have V-B and .net skills and live darn sarf there may be something going there as well.

Alternatively, why not do a master's in medical informatics and get in on the scene that way?

I know of quite a few pharmacists who would swap with you tomorrow!

Being a bit of an old lag in pharmacy (25 years before the mast) I recall there being 2 mature students on our course, though they were, I would say in their late 30's. One dropped out, and the other got a first.
    The chief pharmaceutical officer for Scotland, as I recall, also started out as a mature student. So there are those who do make a success out of it.
    Last edited by Pharmanaut; 19, November 2006, 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

"If you have Delphi programming skills... "

What is Delphi nowadays? Is it still based on Borland Pascal? (I've not used it since it was new)

Another thought is that some OU courses might give you the equivalent to the Science A-Levels and allow you to study while working.

Jeff

Comment

This message is for Ammo

Dear Ammo

Always follow your heart
        You are obviously a very bright and focussed person
        A 2:1 in computer science is no small feat, and you are currently doing a post grad.
        Pharmacy is OK , the pay if in the right sector is fantastic, and also combining it with Computer science is the future...I mean the industry would need people with the know how to programme various softwares...in my opinion it would be the way forward albeit I am sure with your current qualifications you can still have a better career...

Twenty buses have come at once for pharmacy, so it might be worth taking a chance and going for your dream

All the best anyway.....whichever path you choose
        Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Working...
        X