pre-reg Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-reg Interviews

Have anyone got tips for interviews? I'm terrible at interviews and usually get so nervous I forget half the things I should add to my answers.

I swear I never went through this when applying for summer jobs I didnt care about.

and what kind of questions do people expect you to ask?

I have a 45 minute interview, to me it seems kind of scary, what are they gonna ask that takes 45 minutes?

Gaby

This is an old post, but it gives you some ideas.

I got a job, as a grade D pharmacist, after being only qualified for 4 months. This is what got me it, over another candidate who already had 3 years experience, and a clinical diploma. It was a small hospital with only two pharmacists. The job was to cover maternaty leave and then do a job share afterwards. Q is the questioner, A is what I said.

Q. There are no other pharmacists in the hospital and all the doctors are on a course. The sister from ward 2 calls you and says she's worried about a patient on a drip.
    A. What's the problem?
    Q. They have developed a sudden high temperature.
    A. Since the drip was put up?
    Q. Yes within 15 minutes
    A. Whats in the drip?
    Q. Flucloxacillin
    A. I would advise them to stop the drip. The patient could be having a bad penicillin reaction. Stopping the drip for an hour or so, until the doctors get back, won't harm the patient, but if it is a bad reaction it could cause real harm, even death to the patient.
    Q. That's correct. Could you make decisions like this, on other matters?
    A. Yes if I felt I had enough information.
    Q. When can you start?

The woman with the experience, and diploma answered: -
    A. I would find you
    Q. I am on holiday out of the country
    A. I would track you down
    Q. I am in the amazon jungle with no phone
    A. I would call another hospital

The interviewer (later my boss) told me that even though she had much more experience then me, and a clinical diploma, she simply could not make a decision. As there were only two pharmacists at the hospital,the other pharmacist would often have to run the department alone, and be confident enough to make a decision. He said he felt I could, so I got the job.

I don't know if this could help you, but basically be confident (not cocky) and try to show you can learn, and use what you have learned to advise others and make decisions.

I also interviewed two people when in this job. I took both candidates onto my wards with me, and talked to them about possible problems we might find. The first was only interested in re-arranging the stock, supplying drugs etc. They didn't ask a single question, and could not answer any of mine.

The 2nd listened to what I said, and asked questions about the drug therapy people were on. If he didn't know the answer to my question, he asked me where he could find it. I also took them both on a couple of ward rounds I used to attend. The first said nothing, not a word. The 2nd told the consultant about his final year project, and what he thought about the choice of drugs, asking questions and learning along the way. The team of consultant, SHO's and nurses listened to what he said and asked him questions, which he answered.

I gave the job to the 2nd candidate. Get the idea?

You do not have to be a walking BNF, but show you are keen. That's what impresses people.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
      You do not have to be a walking BNF, but show you are keen. That's what impresses people. [/COLOR]
      How very true! I certainly don't remember everything I was taught at Uni, but I do remember where to find the info if I need it!
      Nobody ever got hanged for saying " I don't know, but I'll find out"!
      Last edited by Zoggite; 15, August 2006, 06:43 PM.
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
        How very true! I certainly don't remember everything I was taught at Uni, but I do remember where to find the info if I need it!

Yeah you beat it out of one of your underlings!
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear
          Yeah you beat it out of one of your underlings!
          Of course you beat it out of em, what else are they there for? It helps get rid of stress...

Ok sorry, just joking.......heck I can feel the wrath of every dispenser I know coming down on me .....maybe I'll delete this post later....
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Of course you beat it out of em, what else are they there for? It helps get rid of stress...

Ok sorry, just joking.......heck I can feel the wrath of every dispenser I know coming down on me .....maybe I'll delete this post later....
            Wuss! It's no fun unless you have to worry about what they've put in your tea!
            Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Wuss! It's no fun unless you have to worry about what they've put in your tea!
              Tea?!? Do you mean to tell me that there are pharmacies where you get to have a cup of tea? Even more shocking: there are shops out there where one can get one's staff to make a cuppa?
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

There's one shop where I work where the staff have a mug of coffee waiting for me as I walk through the door!

Anyway, oh great delegator. How come you can't get your staff to make tea?

My missus fell out with her pharmacist boss once and she scraped out the middle of all his Bourbons and replaced it with choclate Ex-lax!

Now you know why I'm so scared of her!
                Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Coffee

Zo

I had about six cups of coffee made for me today! What are you doing to the staff, so they won't even make you a cuppa????

Comment

Zo

I had about six cups of coffee made for me today! What are you doing to the staff, so they won't even make you a cuppa????

She hasn't made the chains on their manacles long enough to reach the kitchen!
                    Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

She hasn't made the chains on their manacles long enough to reach the kitchen!
                      He he he I like it - poor Welsh lasses!

Comment

Thank you admin.

Strangely they never asked pharmacy related questions at my interview. It was all a big personality test.

He asked the odd question about my presentation which was based on pharmacy support staff, but nothing otherwise.

I think the strangest question was "how do you celebrate?"

Comment

Originally posted by gaby
                          Thank you admin.

Strangely they never asked pharmacy related questions at my interview. It was all a big personality test.

He asked the odd question about my presentation which was based on pharmacy support staff, but nothing otherwise.

I think the strangest question was "how do you celebrate?"
                          That's a strange one! I can think of lots of answers to it, but picking put what they want to hear is tricky.

Comment

I just answered as honestly as i could, i didnt really know what the company is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by gaby
                              I just answered as honestly as i could, i didnt really know what the company is looking for.
                              Celebrating success of the team - its used by larger organisations that haven't taught their managers how to motivate.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X