Halving Film-coated Tablets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halving Film-coated Tablets

Dear all. I’ve been splitting vortioxetine 5mg (lowest dose you can get) in to 2.5mg with a pill splitter length ways. The reason is I still find it helps but slightly less impact on sexual function! But I do seem to be slightly more nauseous in the mornings when taking it but I don’t know if It’s psychological knowing I’ve cut the tablets.

Obviously when I spilt them I’ve cut through one side of the film coating. Will that mean that the drug is being released quicker which could be bad ? Only info I can find is this? Is meant to be a slow release drug ?

BRINTELLIX film-coated tablets contain mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropylcellulose, sodium starch glycollate type A, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide, Macrogol 400, iron oxide red

Thanks
    Last edited by DavidS; 7th, June 2018, 05:35 PM.

It will state in the PIL whether it can be split or not

Comment

They are not prolonged-release tablets - I'm assuming they have a good half life so that they can be taken once a day.
      Nausea is a known common side effect of this drug.
      I'm a bit rusty but I don't think that breaking this film coating should be an issue at all.
      If splitting them helps with sexual function, I would try quarters!!
      ....just my opinion

Comment

I have ben splitting tablets for years. Only possible difference would be enteric coated tabs which are designed to pass through the stomach. Film coating was developed by Abbott to improve moisture resistance.
        johnep

Comment

Working...
        X