Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone give me some information about oxygen cylinder for medical use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone give me some information about oxygen cylinder for medical use?

I hv been searchin on the internet for a hour and i still can't find any information on that
    such as how does a oxygen cylinder work
    why do people hv oxygen cylinder at home.... etc
    actually i m doin a presentation on this topic
    a patient finds it difficult to breath..and he is considering a oxygen cylinder
    so i need to give him some advices on this
    i will be appreciated if anyone can give me a hand
    thx a lot
    Derek

Re: Can anyone give me some information about oxygen cylinder for medical use?

Originally posted by derek0o0 View Post
    I hv been searchin on the internet for a hour and i still can't find any information on that
    thx a lot
    Derek
    My hand is busy, sorry
    [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Comment

Busy doing what? Not a good enough response to someone who is asking a serious question. If I could help I would. I used to help patients set up their oxygen cylinders but that was before the contract ran out. Obviously they had to be kept away from naked flames. I can help with side effects though. Many patients suffered with excessive wind, burping or hiccoughs, this was mainly due to the patients breathing in the oxygen through their mouths rather than their noses. I hope you get the information you need. I had one patient that was trying out "oxygen as treatment for migraine". I Googled that just and got some hits. sorry I can't be of more help.
      Make some one smile today.

Comment

Originally posted by derek0o0 View Post
        thx a lot
        Derek
        I just did a google search for medical oxygen and got a lot of hits, also look at BOC's site they are a major supplier (in most parts of the world and probably the UK too).

Medical oxygen is simply liquid oxygen in metal container due to its temperature it exerts a massive vapour pressure relative to the atmosphere so escapes into the giving device at a rate controlled by the valve.

Medical oxygen is indicated in COPD especially emphysema, acute asthma attacks (not usually at home) and in hospitalised patients with hypoxia. Care needs to be taken to determine whether pure oxygen is indicated or not. If you revise your physiology of the respiratory system you will come across the role of carbon dioxide in stimulating breathing. In patients with COPD pure oxygen can remove all carbon dioxide resukting in potentially fatal further deterioation.

I have provided a really poor explaination so please look at section 3.6 of the BNF and your physiology notes to gain a better understanding of medical oxygen. If I had I could have written a more helpful post
        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

really appreicated for everyone's help
          i think i m OK now
          thx again

Comment

Domicilary oxygen masks usually give a concentration of about 26 or 28%

Comment

Working...
            X