Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transport

Hi,
    I am due to qualify in a few months and have so far not managed to pass my driving test (failed twice ).
    How essential is it to be able to drive?
    I am wondering whether I should give it another shot while I am still a pre-reg or if it would be ok to wait til I have found a permanent job and am more able to afford lessons etc.
    Does anyone have any experience of using public transport/walking/cycling to work? I am currently using buses and occasionally have problems with them not turning up/being late which could be an issue if I need to be there to open up and be in personal control.
    Am I likely to be a less desirable job candidate if I cannot drive/don't have a car?
    All opinions appreciated

Re: Transport

If permanent job, then no problem. If locum, then transport of some sort is essential. Get a driving test prog and practice at home. Would be worth paying out for controls to fit on an old table. Some schools have simulators.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      If permanent job, then no problem. If locum, then transport of some sort is essential. Get a driving test prog and practice at home. Would be worth paying out for controls to fit on an old table. Some schools have simulators.
      johnep
      It was the early 1980's but I did my pre-reg and first 6 months of work on public transport.
      The main problem wasn't getting there but getting home. It got quite gruelling in the winter. Occasionally a late script meant that I missed the last of the 'commuter timetable' trains and buses and had to wait an hour on a freezing cold station, then another 20mins for a bus to get home. The driver got so used to me falling asleep on the bus he stopped at my stop and honked is horn to wake me up.

I failed my first test, but passed the second. The main thing is 'road sense' - can you get out with someone with 'L' plates at the weekend? My dad had me driving him everywhere with 'L' plates on - it was quite different from a lesson as we were going somewhere to do stuff, just like you do once you have passed the test.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Good idea to drive somewhere without the pressure of someone judging you all the time.
        johnep

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am getting to and from work on the buses at the moment and its not too bad, but like you said, if I miss it I have to wait ages for the next one - and they occasionally go early or don't turn up at all. I haven't really got anyone who will take me out but I might book some lessons and another test soon and see how it goes

Comment

Still think computer based simulation would be good virtually free practice. Probably a free prog or virtual driving school somewhere on the web.
            johnep

Comment

failing that buy a racing game like gran turismo, project gotham or race driver: grid and a cheap steering wheel / pedal combo to help you get the feel of handling a car (i credit my first time pass to Need for Speed on the sega saturn )
              “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by happy_bunny View Post
                Hi,
                Am I likely to be a less desirable job candidate if I cannot drive/don't have a car?
                All opinions appreciated
                A fair few of the European colleagues I have worked with didn't have a car and used public transport and taxis from the nearest station. It means getting up earlier - getting home later - but does avoid getting suckered into any emergency deliveries.

Jeff

Comment

This has been at the back of my mind for a while and might help you.

Car Hire and Van Hire from Arnold Clark Rental

See dual control car hire.

Hire one of these, get a relative to go on a long drive somewhere (100 mile round trip) on a trip out for the day. Get the map out and plan the route avoiding motorways. Probably beat a couple of hours driving round a housing estate?
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Novel idea, but unfortunately your driving test will probable BE a couple of hours driving around a housing estate...
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by sir_dispensalot View Post
                      failing that buy a racing game like gran turismo, project gotham or race driver: Grid and a cheap steering wheel / pedal combo to help you get the feel of handling a car (i credit my first time pass to need for speed on the sega saturn :d )

lol
                      The world is yours...

Quote me for a reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X