Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teacher thinking of changing profession

Hi
    i am a teacher(31 year old single female woman) who is thinking (and has been for several years) of doing pharmacy. It has now changed to 5 years i realise this and i am no spring chicken. I do enjoy my job as a teacher and it is very rewarding however it just doesn't pay very well for the amount of time you have to put in. If i worked it out i am getting paid less than 10 pounds an hour! and that is not including the extra planning and marking time. When i was 18 years old i got onto a pharmacy course but as the first time away from home i messed around and ending up having to change my course as i screwed up. To cut a long story short I often think of this mistake i made and that what if i was a pharmacist, how much better my life(financially) would be. I know it would be a lot of studying but i am mature and sensible now. However, the question is do you think it would be wise for me to take this step in my life now, or do you think it is too late bareing in mind i would have to support myself for five years without a wage being single.
    thanks for your responses in advance.
    teacher,

Re: teacher thinking of changing profession

Personally, I wouldn't change career just for financial reasons, studying is expensive work and you'd be in huge amounts of debt before you even start your new higher paid job.
    (If you want to do it for personal reasons/job satisfaction then that's a different matter, you can't put a price on that, but if you're happy in your current job then stick with it IMO)

Good luck either way x

Comment

We had a 31 year old on our course, try the army for a grant. also you could do supply teaching during hols.
      johnep

Comment

Apparently, the oldest person to graduate the pharmacy course at Brighton uni was 64. One of the guys on my course was 43 when he started. 31 is nothing!

Before you leap into anything, how about some voluntary work at the weekends or during school holidays to see if you still feel its for you?
        Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

Hi, bit of an old thread but just wondered if you took the decision to study pharmacy in the end as I guess I'm in a similar situation at present. You mention its a 5 year degree - I guess you mean 4 year degree and 1 year pre-reg?

Comment

Originally posted by verve76 View Post
            Hi, bit of an old thread but just wondered if you took the decision to study pharmacy in the end as I guess I'm in a similar situation at present. You mention its a 5 year degree - I guess you mean 4 year degree and 1 year pre-reg?
            Depends on what A levels (or equivalent) you have. Manchester and some other unis offer a foundation year for students that don't have the required qualifications.

Comment

I know in our course there are so many mature students. In terms of age i wouldnt say this is a problem but this for sure its very intense and expensive . On the otherhand if you work part time as a supply teacher it would help a lot but to maintain a social life it would be hard work.

Comment

Hi everyone... I'm new to the forum and joined mainly to get some direction and also to get a better understanding of the pharmacy world.
                i am currently a secondary School Science teacher, but I have always had an ambition of becoming a Pharmacist i am now seriously considering taking on a 4 year degree. I have A-levels in Chemistry, Biology and English at (B,B,B) I also have a BSc degree in Pharmaceutical sciences.
                Can anyone tell me the chances of getting a place on a pharmacy degree starting 2011? I feel it may be hard as i will be competing with young student who have just finished their A-Levels. Also would there be anything else that may help me getting a place i.e any other qualifications i may need?
                I have worked in a pharmacy before and also completed the NPA interact course.

Comment

No problem academically, you would probably have to fund yourself. Got a spare £50k?
                  johnep

Comment

yeh 50k sounds really hefty but I should be able to 'work' my way around it. Are all universities applying the 10k tution fee for returning students now?

Comment

Suggest you try to live at home and if work in holidays, should be doable. You will have to check with chosen college. Best of all would be wealthy parents or wealthy and understanding wife/husband to support you. I supported my daughter for a year to take a masters at local college. I was retired and was able to locum.
                      johnep

Comment

Yes that sounds encouraging. my family are firm on the property ladder so i think they may set aside funds from a rental property.

Thank you very much Johnep.

Comment

Good luck, perhaps you will become a lecturer at college and locum in the holidays.
                          Best of both worlds.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by AimingHigh View Post
                            Hi everyone... I'm new to the forum and joined mainly to get some direction and also to get a better understanding of the pharmacy world.
                            i am currently a secondary School Science teacher, but I have always had an ambition of becoming a Pharmacist i am now seriously considering taking on a 4 year degree. I have A-levels in Chemistry, Biology and English at (B,B,B) I also have a BSc degree in Pharmaceutical sciences.
                            Can anyone tell me the chances of getting a place on a pharmacy degree starting 2011? I feel it may be hard as i will be competing with young student who have just finished their A-Levels. Also would there be anything else that may help me getting a place i.e any otherq ualifications i may need?
                            I have worked in a pharmacy before and also completed the NPA interact course.
                            I think its a good idea as you might get exempted from year 1 ( currently techies with a foundation degree in pharm sciences are so I,m sure you will as you've got a degree in pharm science) you can locum as a tech loads of 100-hour pharmacies about, it won't be easy but it might be worth it in the end ..depends on what you are currently doing I don't think pharmacists earn much more than teachers , but community pharmacists earn a bit more than their technician colleagues and you can also have your own shop without having to pay a pharmacist .Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do. 2010 is a new decade, chase and achieve your dream as you obviously have the ability. Lack of funds is a problem but not an insurmountable(sp) one as hard graft, family or banks can always help

Just as a matter of interest why didn't you opt for pharmacy the first time around as you obviously had the grades , ( two sciences ,one of which must be chemistry)
                            Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
                              I think its a good idea as you might get exempted from year 1 ( currently techies with a foundation degree in pharm sciences are so I,m sure you will as you've got a degree in pharm science) you can locum as a tech loads of 100-hour pharmacies about, it won't be easy but it might be worth it in the end ..depends on what you are currently doing I don't think pharmacists earn much more than teachers , but community pharmacists earn a bit more than their technician colleagues and you can also have your own shop without having to pay a pharmacist .Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do. 2010 is a new decade, chase and achieve your dream as you obviously have the ability. Lack of funds is a problem but not an insurmountable(sp) one as hard graft, family or banks can always help

Just as a matter of interest why didn't you opt for pharmacy the first time around as you obviously had the grades , ( two sciences ,one of which must be chemistry)
                              Hi Kemzo thak you for your reply really appreciate it.
                              I applied for pharmacy but fell into a catch 22. The School of pharmacy i applied for as first choice declined me and my insurance then declined me on the basis that they were not my first choice and other student who put them as first choice (and had same grades) had priority.
                              So it fell down to pure Luck in the end i know people with lower A-Level grades who got into pharmacy. I had the option of trying to get a transfer to pharmacy but i must admit my imaturity at the time made me lose ambition which i so regret now.

Yeh what you have written sounds like a good plan. I Definately feel more encouraged. I may work an extra year just to ensure i have sufficient funds. And hopefully will get some help form fam.

Once again Thanks Kemzo

Comment

Working...
                              X