Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mature entrant

Hi all,

Due to long overdue career change I will be applying to study pharmacy next September following HEFCs and was just wondering if there is anything in particular that I should be reading / studying that will put me in good stead regarding the application process? Do they expect you to be particularly knowlegable regarding pharmacy prior to application?

Re: Mature entrant

Should hope you know something about pharmacy, otherwise why choose it?
    johnep

Comment

I am interested in, and wish to learn how the human body and drugs work, i also like working with and helping people...these are the reasons for me choosing pharmacy.
      Being interested in learining about a subject and being knowlegable about it are two different things...I am definately not at the stage of 'being knowlegeable' at this moment in time.
      I was wondering if there was anything in particular that would benefit me, and increase my knowlege in the field prior to my application in 2009?
      Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated...

Comment

Have you any experience in working in a Pharmacy? are you aware of how the profession has evolved and is evolving? ...

Comment

Thanks for elucidation. Entrance requirements used to be A levels in Chemistry, Physics and Biology. It appears that almost anything goes now according to the uni. Many students on this forum will know the details.
          johnep

Comment

My other half did HEFCs and is now about to enter 4th year of pharmacy.

For uni application it helps to have some practical experience of pharmacy. Before you start HEFC it may be worth seeing if you can get some work experience in one or more local pharmacies. Be prepared to do this for free.

Sounds cynical but unis have a quota to meet of entrants from non-A-level routes and mature students to you have both those in your favour. That said you will have competition for the limited places available via your route of entry.

Your application form if planning on starting Uni Sept 2009 will have to be submitted this Autumn so as soon as you have a tutor allocated where you are studying for HEFC make them aware of your plans as they have to write a reference for you. Also might be worth contacting admissions tutors at the unis you are looking to apply to and ask for their advice. I'd wait a week or 2 now before doing this as they are swamped with current students and clearing process at present.

They will not expect you to be particularly knowledgable about pharmacy but you will need to demonstrate why you want to do pharmacy and why they should offer you a place more than the next applicant.

Good Luck
            Last edited by Titch; 19, August 2008, 08:53 AM. Reason: Spelling!!!
            Titch

Comment

Thanks for your advice everybody. Sorry if first post was a bit vague.
              I am from a surveying background; so no, I dont really have any pharmacy work experience. Do you recon they would be interested in providing work experience to a 30 year old bald bloke?hehe I would be willing to work for free...
              Titch: I notice you are also from Newcastle. Is your other half studying at Sunderland? This is the only uni that is practical for me in terms of location due to family, my wifes job etc.
              Last edited by geordiepharm1; 19, August 2008, 09:45 AM. Reason: Further questions

Comment

Yes re Sunderland.

PM me if you want further info re course and can possibly advise re work experience if you give me a bit more info via a PM.

Where are you doing HEFC and what subject choices?
                Titch

Comment

Working...
                X