memory and pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory and pharmacy

its obvious that pharmacists need to have an excellent memory and retain lots of information, do any of you qualified pharmacists ever blank out when a patient walks into your pharmacy and asks you a question about their condition/medication. how do you cope with all of this and how do you go about keeping your minds sharp and focussed.

Re: memory and pharmacy

Originally posted by meaniebeanie View Post
    its obvious that pharmacists need to have an excellent memory and retain lots of information, do any of you qualified pharmacists ever blank out when a patient walks into your pharmacy and asks you a question about their condition/medication. how do you cope with all of this and how do you go about keeping your minds sharp and focussed.
    The BNF is my friend.

Alternatively...

"I don't know but I'll try to find out" is a good answer.

Jeff

Comment

practice!
      Seriously though, we can't be expected to remember everything - that's why we have such a large array of books and texts in the pharmacy as a requirement!
      A lot of my otc counselling leads me on to a group of 'favourite' drugs to recommend to patients in each therapeutic area - you'll develop your own favourites with experience over time - gradually you'll become familiar with the vast majority of otc drugs and otc counselling advice.

I often joke (like homer simpson) that my memory's now full, and every time i learn something new something old falls out of my head...
      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Remember, the important thing is not to know the information, but to know where to find it. That is why you have an open book exam.
        johnep

Comment

Hey meanie beanie….sweet name

It can be tricky as a student and even as a professional to remember everything!!

As the others have said, look up the info…tell the customer you will find out for them.

One trick I have and still use – is to read up on something each day and read it out ALOUD to yourself (I don't care if ppl think I'm craZy)……it really helped me. I learnt and understood the topic better and when I was discussing the topic with a teacher or a patient – I came across more confident…..

Hope that helps.....
          Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
          X