Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary care

Hi

I have been looking at the sectors pharmacist can go in to and have come across Primary Care.

What sort of role does the pharmacist play int this sector?
    Is there alot of opportunity to enter this sector?
    What is the pay scale like?

Thank You

Re: Primary care

The majority of PCTs employ Pharmacists in a variety of roles to support the PCT's objectives around prescribing & medicines managements.
    Pay ranges from Band 6/7 (First post in primary care, no PG diploma) to Band 8c/8d (PCT Head/Director of Medicines Management), from my experience, most pharmacists working as practice support pharmacists or primary care pharmacists who have a PG Diploma are Band 8a. Most PCTs will support pharmacists (financially & allow time off for study days etc) to do a relevent PG diploma and this can be achieved in 2 years.

Comment

sounds intersting.

is it very competative to get a job with the PCT?
      are there alot of jobs/vacnacies avalibale with teh PCT?

Thanks

Comment

There are usually a couple a primary care jobs advertised in each PJ. Quite often they stipulate 3 years post-qualification experience so might not be that easy to get into as a newly qualified pharmacist, I am not aware of any PCTs that currently offer pre-reg placements either.
        Some PCTs prefer to employ sessional community pharmacists to work say a day a week for the PCT in a GP practice so that might be an easier route in - however now we have practice bases commisoning this might be less straight forward.

Comment

What about a clinical pharmacist is that along the same line?

Comment

I think I know the way your thinking about this, student, the chance of gettin a job in primary care sector is very unlikely straight after registration, most of these jobs are for experienced pharmacist most likely from the hospital sector. and normally at the level of band 8.

so if you want to go into primary care best to stick with hospital pharmacy, but pay is alot better in community early in one's career.

a hospital pharmacist is a clinical pharmacist
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

In my experience, pharmacists who work in primary care are a fairly equal mix of those with a community background and those with a hospital background.

I suppose the benefit of going into hospital post-qualification is that your employer is more likely to support a PG Diploma which will then increase your chances of getting a primary care job.

My background is in community but I have worked mainly in primary care since 2001, I have plenty of primary care colleagues who have a community background too so I am not unusual!

Comment

Originally posted by Scamp View Post
                In my experience, pharmacists who work in primary care are a fairly equal mix of those with a community background and those with a hospital background.

I suppose the benefit of going into hospital post-qualification is that your employer is more likely to support a PG Diploma which will then increase your chances of getting a primary care job.

My background is in community but I have worked mainly in primary care since 2001, I have plenty of primary care colleagues who have a community background too so I am not unusual!
                Plenty of employers will fund a PG diploma. I've almost finished mine, which has been funded by my employer, and about half the other pharmacists on the course work for Boots, who have funded them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                  Plenty of employers will fund a PG diploma. I've almost finished mine, which has been funded by my employer, and about half the other pharmacists on the course work for Boots, who have funded them.
                  That is good news.
                  Having a PG diploma definitely opens doors and will be an advantage for any pharmacist seeking to take on a more clinical role whatever the setting.

When I worked in community (for NCC), they did pay for some pharmacists to do a diploma but it certainly wasn't offered to most pharmacists.

Comment

Working...
                  X