Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD register

hey pharmacists
    could you please help me with this simple question. do we have to to make a CD register for each seperate instalment of Schedule 2 CD Rx.
    cheers
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Re: CD register

another questions:
    2-under any circumstances, can pharmacists re-dispense returned medicines in good conditions?
    3- The mother of a 14 year old girl enters your pharmacy and demands to know how long her daughter has been taking contraceptive pills she has just found in her room. we can refuse to provide information, or we can not?

thanks
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

1. Yes, each instalment of a sched 2 Cd requires its own separate entry in the CD register.
      2. No, there are no circumstances under which Phcists can re-dispense returned meds, no matter what state they're in (the meds, not the phcists!)
      3.Yes, we can refuse to provide the information. If the 14-year-old is deemed to be "Fraser-competent", she is entitled to patient confidentiality even from her mother. See the landmark "Gillick versus West Norfolk and Wisbech Area Health Authority" 1986 ruling.
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

thank you Zoggite
        more questions might pop up while revising for exams.
        cheers
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          2-under any circumstances, can pharmacists re-dispense returned medicines in good conditions?
          Legally no - ethically perhaps.

Scenario

There's a national shortage of heroin.

You have some heroin amps returned unopened sitting in the CD cupboard awaiting destruction.

It's a late night pharmacy and an urgent script for heroin amps.

Justify refusing to dispense.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            another questions:

1-could you please help me with this simple question. do we have to to make a CD register for each seperate instalment of Schedule 2 CD Rx.
            3- The mother of a 14 year old girl enters your pharmacy and demands to know how long her daughter has been taking contraceptive pills she has just found in her room. we can refuse to provide information, or we can not?

thanks
            Hi Ray, and welcome

Whilst I sympathise with Jeff to some extent, the legal matters are: -

1. Yes - section for each drug
            2. No, not ever
            3. No - it's confidential patient information, as long as she has the ability to understand what's been said to her

Hope this helps a little...
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Scenario

You have some heroin amps returned unopened sitting in the CD cupboard awaiting destruction.

Jeff
              That's easy - I don't want the society banging down my door!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                That's easy - I don't want the society banging down my door!
                Jobsworth ;-)

It's why our Society fails us.

Jeff

Comment

Jobsworth ;-)

It's why our Society fails us.

Jeff
                  I know, I just have this overwhelming self preservation thing!

Comment

Scenario

Jeff
                    You'd have to question the logic of a GP issuing a script for heroin amps during a national shortage!!

Couldn't dispense in good conscience in case they hadn't been stored properly prior to return - esp for something that is going to be injected.

Just playing Devils Advocate
                    Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                      You'd have to question the logic of a GP issuing a script for heroin amps during a national shortage!!
                      Usually they have no idea what is short and what isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post

Couldn't dispense in good conscience in case they hadn't been stored properly prior to return - esp for something that is going to be injected.

Just playing Devils Advocate
                        What would you do if they had been issued the day before, got to the patient too late (patient now deceased) and had been returned say within 24 hours?
                        Another devils advocate.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

as far as I know, there is no diamorph prescribed in the USA. Is that right? What do they use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                            What would you do if they had been issued the day before, got to the patient too late (patient now deceased) and had been returned say within 24 hours?
                            Another devils advocate.

Might sound like a cop-out but until I'm in that actual situation I cannot honestly answer that question.

It would be a tough one weighing up ethics vs legality.
                            Titch

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                              Usually they have no idea what is short and what isn't.
                              I agree but with a "national shortage" they might have come to realise - hey I can hope/dream/......

Fill in your own choice for ...... !
                              Titch

Comment

Working...
                              X