1. Is the pharmacist you are being supervised your tutor
    2. What’s the tutor’s main job?
    3. Does the tutor decide weather you have passed or not. If it is the case
    and they do not pass you what happens.

Any other important info

Thanks

Re: Pre-reg

1. Is the pharmacist you are being supervised your tutor
    Your tutor is generally the pharmacist you are working with, there are specifications as to how many days a week you should work with your tutor i think it is 3/4 days a week, so for the rest you could be working with a locum etc depending on the set up in the pharmacy you work in. You need to work with your tutor so he/she can assess your progress and also give you any help you need!! Normally, if working in a company there will be a pre reg manager also, who may be in charge of training days and learning events etc

2. What’s the tutor’s main job?
    Your tutor asseses your progress and generally guides you in the right direction throughout the year, he/she will help you focus on becoming a competent pharmacist- question you on mechanisms of action and interactions, basically try and get you thinking as a pharmacist, doing clinical checks etc, moving away from dispensing!!.

3. Does the tutor decide weather you have passed or not. If it is the case
    and they do not pass you what happens.
    Basically you are given a list of compentencies you need to be signed off on as a pre reg, throughout the pre reg year- there are three rewiews where you look at your progress with your tutor and he/she will sign you off on what you have achieved so far. By your third review your tutor should sign you off as competent in all compentencies, at this point you can apply to take the exam!! If your tutor however does not feel you are competent you will need to continue to work on your compentencies and take the later exam(there is one in june and august). So he/she does not deside the result of the exam, just whether he/she thinks your ready for it!!!

I have just had my third review today actuallly so if you have any other questions please get in contact, i hope i can help, the societies websits has an electronic copy of the prereg pack we get, that will include the list of compentencies and also some practice exam questions to give you a taste of whats entailed!

Comment

thanks youve been really helpfull

could you please give me a link to the pre reg pack

Comment

Also how many times can you take the pre reg exam

Comment

Originally posted by student View Post
          Also how many times can you take the pre reg exam

You can take the exams three times. If you fail the pre-reg exams three times you're out. You will hold a degree in pharmacy, but will never be a pharmacist.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            You can take the exams three times. If you fail the pre-reg exams three times you're out. You will hold a degree in pharmacy, but will never be a pharmacist.
            Does that stop you applying to work as a pharmacist in another country?
            e.g. does the US require registration the UK or just a degree plus it's own tests and experience?

Jeff

Comment

no, i dont think it even applies to europe, but after the third failure you definately wont be able to qualify as a pharmaist in the UK.
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                no, i dont think it even applies to europe, but after the third failure you definately wont be able to qualify as a pharmaist in the UK.
                and rightly so too!
                Pharmacy doesn't need dimwits!
                Sorry if I appear to be an educational snub.....but that's the way the cookie MUST crumble
                Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
                  and rightly so too!
                  Pharmacy doesn't need dimwits!
                  Sorry if I appear to be an educational snub.....but that's the way the cookie MUST crumble
                  In this modern evidence based age can I must ask.... Is there any evidence that the pre-exam exam weeds out unsuitable candidates or protects the public?

Is there any evidence that it does not. As far as I know this type of exam is unique to the UK and possibly Australia. Are pharmacists in the rest of the world substandard?
                  Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                  (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    Does that stop you applying to work as a pharmacist in another country?
                    e.g. does the US require registration the UK or just a degree plus it's own tests and experience?

Jeff
                    Anyone answer this please.
                    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                      Anyone answer this please.
                      A friend applying to the UDS told me you that evidence that you are on the register in the country you trained in is required( but not a letter of good standing). I don't really know as this is almost third hand.
                      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                      (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Working...
                      X