Too slow with calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too slow with calculations

What can I do to increase my speed and achieve 80% on calculations in one hour? I can only do 10 in one hour rather than 20. I spend all my time doing calcs and therefore dont look at other important pharmacy things. This year is nothing but stress. Any wise words? Please.
    Laura

Re: Too slow with calculations

The only way that I'm aware of to really do this is, unfortunately, practice.

At school I was great at mental arithmetic. After leaving uni where we all used calculators I realised I couldn't add up in my head any more.

Now whenever I have things to add up take away. I do it in my head the first time and then check with a calculator.

There are lots of brain training type games out there now (Mrs Linnear is currently working out on her new DS!). Maybe something along those lines or even a puzzle book. I'm sure that there are some out there that have number puzzles. Doing these may help flex the mental muscles without feeling like you're revising!

Good luck
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Is this a maths issue or an understanding of what to do?

ie you you know what steps to calculate but find doing the numbers difficult or do you know the maths but not sure how to do the steps?

Comment

Originally posted by parent of pre-reg student View Post
        What can I do to increase my speed and achieve 80% on calculations in one hour? I can only do 10 in one hour rather than 20. I spend all my time doing calcs and therefore dont look at other important pharmacy things. This year is nothing but stress. Any wise words? Please.
        Laura
        I like Linnears advice ;-)

However if you post example questions I'll try to write down my thought processes (and mental shortcuts) as I work through them. (It worked with my eldest son up to A level - youngest wont let me "interfere" )

I think there's a section on the board for doing so - but didn't look before posting my reply

Jeff

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          I like Linnears advice ;-)

However if you post example questions I'll try to write down my thought processes (and mental shortcuts) as I work through them. (It worked with my eldest son up to A level - youngest wont let me "interfere" )

I think there's a section on the board for doing so - but didn't look before posting my reply

Jeff

Jeff

Try looking around the web for 'short cuts in maths/arithmetic etc'.
          There used to be a lot of these before calculators.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
          X