Mefenamic Acid - long term use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mefenamic Acid - long term use

I have been taking 500mg Mefenamic Acid a couple of times a day, for a couple of days a month, for the last 3+ years, to relieve period pain.

Having re-read the instructions today, I saw that long term users of the drug may have blood tests ordered by their doctors to ensure they don't become anemic. Does my use of the drug (for the forseeable future) make me a long term user, or is this irrelevant as I only take it for a few weeks of every year?

Thank you.

Re: Mefenamic Acid - long term use

Hi MonkeyFishy,

Welcome to the forums. I'm afraid I can't give you a black and white answer. Many women take this drug for a few days during their period for many years, but each patient is different and what is safe in one is not necessarily so in another.

There are several factors that your prescriber needs to consider with Mefenamic Acid, such as other medicines you are taking and any other conditions you may have.

I would advise you to speak to your own prescriber or pharmacist about your medicines, particularly if you are worried you may be experiencing side effects.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
    _____

Comment

Working...
    X